Fun and Friendly Edit Comp Sunday 30th Jan - Sunday 6th Feb

This is the new thread for this week’s edit comp. Well done to @Sandbagger @Brewby @clinkadink @SirGunner @gimbalflight for their winning edits :clap:t2: :clap:t2::clap:t2:

Alan @Sandbagger will upload a new WeTransfer link shortly :+1:t2:

To enter just download the image from the wetransfer link and edit away with any software you like. When you’re happy with your edit post the final jpeg back here. The winner each week will supply the image for the next comp. If you win but can’t supply an image let us know and then 2nd place can supply the next image. It is preferred to supply a RAW image for editing if possible but if not a jpeg will do.

Rules:
*You may remove items from an image but cannot add any new elements to the image e.g. changing the sky (you can still post edits with added elements for fun but they will not be entered into the vote)
*You can post as many edits as you like but only one will be entered into the vote, you need to make clear which edit you want entered for the vote, if its not made clear your latest edit will be entered in the vote.
*Your entry must be posted by 8pm Sunday evening every week.
*You can’t vote for your own edit. If you vote for your own edit your edit will be disqualified and the edit with the next most votes will take your place on the podium.

Any questions please feel free to ask, and most importantly have fun!

Drums fingers on the desk waiting for the link :grin:

1 Like

@DeanoG60 …just minutes to go Deano I’m on the case and have a special challenge coming up for you all

1 Like

OK thanks for your patience :rofl: here is an image taken this morning of the Volunteer Life Brigade base located on South Shields pier, a lovely sky for you to play with and oh yes some alignment of the horizon required due to a gimbal fault , lets see all you wonderful edits of this substandard image :wink:

2 Likes

Drums fingers on desk waiting for Deanos edit :stopwatch:

Here we go, horizon fixed and a wonderful image to play with :star_struck:

6 Likes

A jpeg copy for those who need it

3 Likes

6 Likes

Sorry I need it explaining like I am 5 again please! :blush:

See I read this is as ‘you may remove items from an image’ Ok great, I am still with you.
Next ‘but you cannot add any new elements eg. changing sky’ ok…but if I remove objects what am I gonna replace them with? Even though I am not ready to join in, I was checking out last pics and thought 'oo, if I did a graduated soft erase of that I could darken that bit, ah but can’t add a darker grad layer, ok what would I replace it with…ah I can’t but…but…btu…ok bugger that, what would I do to the river pic oo I would would…ah bugger I’m stuck on that too! Is this a comp for lightroom type jobbies? Is ths a usual rule?

PS Gawd, I annoy myself by the way! I never used to be this stupid!

1 Like

It basically means if there is something within the image that is quote on quote spoiling the image like for example if there is a nice beach picture and there is one random dog walker spoiling the landscape or even several you can remove them.

But what you can’t do is change the sky. Example if the image was a really dull day you can’t change the sky to make it have a really nice blue sky with epic cloud formations.

Or if the image was of a London street you can’t add a red phone box and royal mail post box to the street to enhance the overall look of the image.

1 Like

So could I have removed the houses to make it like a gothic-ee - dark picture? (the church) or reflected more sky in the river?

1 Like

I’d guess not as it would dramatically change the image. I mean to be honest with you it’s only a bit of fun to help people brush up on their editing skills. It’s not a serious competition with strict rules.

But I think the idea is to not dramatically change the fixed elements of the image. But you can remove small aspects like ducks on a river or lake would be fine to be removed but if there was a bridge over the river removing it probably wouldn’t be acceptable.

I dunno like I said it’s a bit of fun we’re probably reading into it way to much :rofl:

1 Like

Yeh sorry, it’s not like I can join in yet, I just was wondering. Anything graphic related it seems and I go back into work mode of question everything to be REALLY clear. I need to chill :wink:

I feel like a kid sometimes when I just fire off 30 questions a minute. I do my own head in!

1 Like

Why not?

Give it a go :+1:t2:

If it’s because you haven’t got an image to supply if you win then just let the @Challenges_Committee know and they’ll just ask the runner up to supply the image for the next one :+1:t2:

1 Like

I just gotta re-learn it all. I’ll get there!

1 Like

That’s what this competition is all about learning and refining your editing skills.

Give it a shot and post your result :+1:t2: it doesn’t need to be perfect that’s why I like this competition it gives you something to work on :+1:t2:

Give snapseed a go it’s a phone or tablet app and it’s free and pretty much has all the tools you’ll need for basic editing. A fair few of us here all use snapseed including myself :grin:

1 Like

Znapseed, I’ll check it out. My bread and butter was the nearly whole of adobe suite, so not being able to access that anymore threw me I think. I have been playing a little in photopea but between or poor country connection and poor brain connection I just keep opening new programms and going err…how do I do this again!. THANKS FOR THE (oops) app recommendation. I need to go back to basics. I keep forgetting that :smiley:

1 Like

Give GIMP a try. It may prove easier for you as it is an open source competitor to Photoshop (so it’s free).

2 Likes

Volunteer Life Brigade base

3 Likes

Thanks to @Sandbagger for the image, here’s my take on it…

2 Likes