GADC 4th Birthday Challenge

The children are in the canoes (or I think they are) - and the adult canoeists are on the jetty. Other canoes were out of shot :slight_smile:

But okay

Just to muddy the waters further (pun intended), technically the blue craft are kayaks and the black ones are canoes. Given that most people would identify kayaks as canoes, and they’re likely to be more prevalent on canals, I think it would be rather churlish to enforce the differentiation for the competition.

Sorry, @DroneGeek, I’m probably not helping. :grin:

2 Likes

ah okay - learn something new every day. They looked like canoes to me haha!

My point exactly. :wink:
It’s tricky.

Maybe @DroneGeek needs to track down the people on the jetty and ask if they were planning to get in the kayaks or the canoes? :wink:

1 Like

They had their own canoes - or are they big kayaks :joy: :rofl:
maunsel lock and more canoes

1. Solar farm
  • Bonus point if there are 30 or more rows :white_check_mark:
  • Bonus point for adding to Drone Scene and posting a link with your entry :white_check_mark:

I claim 3 points

2 Likes

31st August
3. Royal Mail Depot
Bonus point if 10 or more red post office vehicles there :white_check_mark:
bonus point if 5 or more postmen/women are out side :x:

4 Likes

There is no Drone Scene bonus attached to this so nothing to lose if you do photograph the same roundabout as someone else.

I had a similar situation last year where someone else snapped a flight of locks that I had scheduled to photograph. Asked the committee if it was ok to use the same location and got an affirmative. No Drone Scene bonuses to muddy the waters then of course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

31st August
8 Tennis Courts

• Bonus point if a doubles game is being played :x:
  • Bonus point if 4 or more courts are in use :white_check_mark:
  • Bonus point if the courts are green :white_check_mark:
4 Likes

Yeah, that’s fine. It’s the castle and viaduct I’m back to the drawing board on. I may not be able to maximise points on these. Oh well, c’est la vie. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s only one viaduct in the entirety of East Anglia as far as I can work out, and that was added to DroneScene in 2017. So no chance of me reasonably maxing out on that one… :man_facepalming:

After much discussion and research the committee finally have a basic understanding of the difference between kayaks and canoes. But will probably still refer to such craft indiscriminately as “canoes”. Like 99% of the general public.

The impact for the completion is this:

We are happy for images containing four canoes and,or kayaks which contain a person to qualify for a bonus. The subject list has been amended to reflect this.

1. Canal or River Lock
  • Bonus point if a boat is in the lock
  • Bonus point if there are 4 or more people in 4 or more kayaks and/or canoes
  • Bonus point for adding to Drone Scene and posting a link with your entry

The difference between kayaks and canoes

3 Likes

Question for the committee…

1. Narrow Gauge Railway

Can we rely on the Wikipedia definition of ‘Narrow Gauge’ as being acceptable?

Thank You

Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the clarification.

I thought the difference was that you could have a stove or similar in an open decked craft - a canoe. In a closed deck craft there is significant risk of fire.

Hence you can’t have your kayak and heat it …

5 Likes

We are using the accepted definition of narrow gauge to represent track widths less than standard gauge and 600 mm or greater. We do not accept the archaic definition of narrow gauge being 4’ 8.5" and Brunel’s excellent broad gauge being standard.

Given that several passenger carrying estate railways in the UK and some industrial lines are less than the accepted definition of narrow gauge we will also accept minimum gauge. Less than that we consider scale or model rail.

This is the reference from which we are working

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification Guys :+1:

Dammit! I had it all planned out! :cry:

As an avid Sea Kayaker and ex-play boater/freestyle kayaker, I always work on the fact that canoeists always have a beard (including the ladies) - its the law(!), kayakers don’t. :grin:

1 Like

Sorry Joe :frowning:

As a quick means of identification - if the driver rides on the engine rather than stands or sits in the cab it is very likely smaller than narrow gauge

1 Like