GADC Pilots' Calendar Competition - February - Winner Announced

@group-challenges

“February fill dyke, be it black or be it white; Be it white, ’tis better to like.”

The third month of the calendar competition is upon us. And the shortest - just 28 days to create the image that sums up February. The weather isn’t expected to be overly pleasant as some of the old names for the month show:

Historical names for February include the Old English terms Solmonath (mud month) and Kale-monath - named for cabbage In Finnish, the month is called helmikuu, meaning “month of the pearl”; when snow melts on tree branches, it forms droplets, and as these freeze again, they are like pearls of ice. In Polish and Ukrainian respectively, the month is called luty or лютий (lyutiy), meaning the month of ice or hard frost. In Macedonianthe month is sechko (сечко), meaning month of cutting (wood). In Czech, it is called únor, meaning month of submerging (of river ice).

Does the above provide any inspiration? Or have you your own ideas for an image that sums up the month of February?

GADC Calendar Pilots Competition - Rules

The requirement is to submit a still image in landscape format that illustrates the month in the competition title. The competition is open from 00:01 on the first day to 22:00 on the last day of each month and images for that month must be captured and posted within that time period

The image must obviously be taken by a drone in flight, images that the committee consider do not meet this criteria will not be entered into the poll for the winners. That means images noticeably higher than a normal person’s eyeline, please.

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only. There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

You can create as many images as you wish and submit them in separate posts in this thread. However, only one image of any one subject will be accepted for judging. If you are making multiple entries please indicate which one you wish to be your competition entry before the end of the month otherwise the last image you have posted will be used. Basically, if you have a selection of images illustrating the subject, have the courage of your convictions, exercise your editorial judgement and post only the one that you think is best

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

Aircraft/camera used
Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for a single image by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the last day of each month.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for only one of the entries. DO NOT vote for your own, you may be excluded from entering the competition again,

In the event of a tie a second, single-choice poll for the disputed images only, open for 24 hours and open to all will decide the winner

Further information or the original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Entrants are encouraged to add their images to Drone Scene if the flight will be of interest to other pilots. Accompanying notes regarding the TOAL point, access and parking plus any further local information will be appreciated.

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners wishes and permissions must be respected and adhered to. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

The committee reserve the right to modify these rules at any time and for any reason

2 Likes

I’m hoping everybody is saving up their February shots for the end of the month… been racking my brain for a ‘February’ theme, but it’s a bit of a nondescript month, eh? Still maybe I’ll get some inspiration this weekend. Mostly, just commenting to bump this to the top :wink:

I’ve just had a vision of Karl, naked except for a pink tutu, trying to look seductive whilst reclining on a sheepskin in front of a roaring log fire!

God, I’ve got to stop mixing my drugs!!!

We haven’t got a log fire

1 Like

But I have sweetie! xxxx

Totally forgot about this, to be honest :blush:

1 Like

So it was worth a little bump then :wink:

We’ve had fog/mist, frost, sunshine. And I’ve missed doing them all.

I might be able to scavenge something to submit but ultimately looking forward to seeing what people vote for what has been a nuts month weather wise.

Flask filled with fresh coffee, cameras and drone batteries charged. Im off to find February :grin:

1 Like

I’m racking my brain thinking of what pic to take to represent Feb, see what a ride out in the car brings :see_no_evil:

What color represents February?

Purple

February Birthstone: Amethyst. February Birthstone Color is Purple.

@Kings that might help :joy:

Purple tinge on the pic coming up :rofl:

I was looking for fields of roses, month of valentines but :man_running:t2::dash::dash::dash: :joy:

A field of snowdrops would fit the bill ……but no quantity worth photographing in my area

I have had the idea in my mind for a wee while, but today is the first chance ive had when weather has been kind

I’m giving up going out on my days off looking for challenge pics, that drone in the boots a jinx, not so long ago broken suspension spring and now cracked diesel injector !! Can we do the disappointment challenge again pls.

This is not an entry :see_no_evil:

Snowdrops at Welford Park - Berkshire

• Drone: Mini 3 Pro
  • Date: 25 February 2023 at 16:06
  • Drone Scene: Link

February. With a hint of spring in the air, the sun still hangs low in the sky during those chilly but sunny days. Those perfect days to get outdoors, breathe in the fresh air and take a stroll in nature. As the seasons change, spring plants emerge from the ground. I headed out on a snowdrop walk at Welford Park in Berkshire, to see the carpet of delicate white flowers.

Welford Park is a privately owned country house and estate in Berkshire. Situated about five miles outside of Newbury, the current house dates back to approximately 1650 and is surrounded by 3,000 acres of parkland and woodland. The setting may be familiar if you are one of the millions of viewers who tune into the Great British Bake Off every year, as it is within these grounds that the famed Bake Off tent is located.

Regarding this rule. Being a dense forest, I could only capture these below the forest canopy. I tried a few shots at about 10m (see evidence below), but it looked terrible in comparison to a low ‘carpet shot’ shot at 1m above the ground.

Supporting evidence of being shot with a drone

This is how the shot looked at 10m up, it doesn’t look anywhere near as good as my entry above.

4 Likes

That’s is a nice pic Chris ! :+1:t2:

Thanks, Rich :+1:

The last of the snow at Dalnaspidal
Taken on 25th Feb at 13:40 using a Mini2

9 Likes