Good 2 Go and GVC

Afternoon all,

I recently went on to the Good 2 Go part of Drone Scene to just clarify something and I wondered why there is no option for GVC holders in the second question. I’m not fully familiar with what Article 16 is but understand it’s something that model flying clubs can issue to members to lift some restrictions.

I wondered if it would be easy to add GVC qualification to the Good 2 Go questions. Or is there a reason I’m not thinking about as to why it’s not.

Thanks,

Andy.

The simple answer is, Drone Scene is primarily for hobbyists.

I think I can probably count on one hand the number of people here with a GVC cert :blush:

1 Like

Not as interesting as the Hot Tub thread, but worth a read

https://greyarro.ws/t/fpvuk-uas-implementing-regulation-article-16-operational-authorisation/22789

Or watch our friend @ianinlondon explain it

4 Likes

@PingSpike fair comment. Is there a better forum for any GVC related questions?
@milkmanchris thanks for this. That has shed some light on my confusion. However I’m still confused!

My Air 2S is over 250g so I’m basing the Good 2 Go on that.

Based on what I thought and what (I think) @ianinlondon says in this video with an A2CofC you can fly as close to people as you want to as long as they are “involved”. ie if you brief those involved beforehand on your procedures so they are aware they are then involved and you can fly as close to and over them.

If I choose A2 CofC Competency, Then No I will not be flying directly over uninvolved people, then 0-30m and Industrial, Commercial or residential Good 2 Go says No to this.

So my confusion comes back! Is it as simple as you can’t fly over anyone at all even if they are involved? And secondly where the GVC comes in to play enabling you to overfly people as long as you have an operational licence?

@ianinlondon or anyone else with a GVC, could you possibly shed some more light on whether you can overfly people are are involved as long as you hold an A2 CofC? Or do you need a GVC? Or does the GVC not even allow that either?

Cheers

Andy.

There’s a forum on UAVHUB but I’m not sure if they cover GVC specifically.

I would assume so though, as they offer it as a course.

The A2 CofC (in the current absence of any Class marked aircraft) will allow you to do two things now:

1. Fly a UAV with a takeoff mass between 250g and 499g close to people in a built up area, but no intentional flight over anyone not involved.

2. Fly a UAV with a takeoff mass between 500g and 1.99kg in a built up area no closer than 50m horizontally from uninvolved people.

If someone is involved in a uav operation, they can be overflown in pretty much all cases … CAP722 2.1.3.1 has info on what makes someone involved.

1 Like

The key issue with GVC is that it does not, on its own, change your permissions. That comes in the associated Operational Authorisation. The problem there is that everyone’s OA may be different, and indeed I know several people who hold GVCs and have a non-standard OA (e.g. permission to fly above 120m, permission to fly closer than the standard 50m separation etc).

We could, in theory, amend the app to cover the “standard” GVC OA, UKPDRA01, but as @PingSpike says, that’s too few users of the app to make it worth the sigificant effort. I think there’s a generic assumption that GVC OAs are for professionals, and they really ought to understand what their limitations are without an app like this!

Article 16 is, of course, also an Operational Authorisation, but since it is essentially the same for the huge numbers of hobbyists covered by it, it was worth the effort to include.

4 Likes

This … :grinning:

1 Like

Good 2 Go is correct, for the reason already stated that for a legacy drone weighing >500g, the A2 CofC requires you to fly at least 50m away from uninvolved persons. The output does helpfully note that you could fly closer with a sub-250g drone, or a legacy drone in the weight range 250-500g, plus the A2 CofC.

If instead you’d asked to fly in the 30m-50m range in a recreational area, the app will very helpfully also point out that you can do this with your current drone if you were covered by Article 16.

So I’m right in saying with an A2 CofC you can overfly people who are involved. So technically as long as procedures are followed and the flying is sensible as it should be then its all above board.

My reason for questioning it is because I’ve been asked to do a job. It’s a marketing video for a local school and they want aerial videography with the school pupils using the playgrounds etc as I fly. To which I said yes of course but wanted to ensure that I’m not breaking any rules. I am doing the GVC currently and wasn’t going t do the work until I passed as I though I had to. However I’m beginning to think that even with an A2 CofC I think I can.

Your thoughts?

I agree. But as I said isn’t the Good 2 Go wrong if you can overfly and get close to people if they are involved? I’m sorry to question it but it confused me even more.

All this said I am doing the GVC and still confused as it seems like I said above, if people are involved then you can do what you like just with an A2 CofC.

I’m a stickler for rules though and won’t do the work until I have my GVC and OA from the CAA just in case.

It’s all about risk isn’t it, and I’m not going to risk anything.

Andy.

2 Likes

:+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks @ximi but I’m talking about flying over involved people. For instance on Good 2 Go I’m stating my drone weight. Stating I’m NOT flying over uninvolved people in a commercial area and it tells me I can’t. But from everything I understand I can because the people I’m flying over are involved.

Am I missing something really obvious?

1 Like

Be interesting to see the school risk assessment for your flight (the one I did was a nightmare)

Happy to share with you once I’ve done it!

Mine wasn’t the issue it was the Trust and LEA that stalled it

1 Like

If people are involved, it doesn’t matter how close you are to them, or which competence you hold: they simply don’t count in terms of separation distance. It’s always going to be doubtful if you can count school-children as involved though, as they need not just to be briefed, but able to follow instructions if something goes wrong. And to have free choice on whether they take part. :wink:

You still need at least an A2 CofC (or a GVC OA) for this with a 595g drone though, because you are flying in an urban area. Even if absolutely nobody is around!

Good 2 Go only asks about uninvolved persons on the two pages where it asks about overflying and about separation distances. It never asks about involved persons because they are never relevant.

The key issues for what you want to do are:

• if everyone nearby is involved you need at least the A2 CofC because a school is a built-up area and your drone weighs >250g
  • if anyone at all is uninvolved then with a >500g drone and the A2 CofC you must stay 50m horizontally away from them (which you can check on Good 2 Go); with the GVC OA that would change to 50m in any direction i.e. you can overfly uninvolved persons so long as you are no lower than 50m (and you could use a much heavier drone, but that’s not relevant in your case)

Section 2.1.3.1 in CAP722 is the “bible” for what counts as involved or uninvolved.

Thanks @kvetner.

I assumed that on Good 2 Go if I said I wasn’t flying over uninvolved people that with an A2 CofC I would be able to fly over or near “people” as they would obviously be involved. I understand it now. It’s all in the wording I guess.

Thanks for your help everyone. As I said I’m not even going near the place until I know I am fully allowed to with all the right paperwork, insurances etc etc.

But I appreciate everyone’s help and understanding.

Andy

1 Like

Apart from the flying aspect you need to make sure that you are ok with data protection. Filming children can be a very emotive subject so the school needs to reassure you that alll the parents are ok with it. I have a mate who has filmed (non drone) his grandson playing for his school football team and has been asked to stop because one of the parents objected.

Yes you’re absolutely right. I’ve left that with the head to sort out. Anyone who says no can stay inside out of the way.

I’m club sec for a local youth team and we have a policy in place that all parent have to sign. Luckily all agree and have no problem. You do have to be careful though.

Andy.