Good, Bad & The Ugly - Mavic 3 in all its Glory

Right. Tried to keep it under 10 minutes. Almost achieved that… :wink:

All you might need to know about DJI’s latest pricey offering. Surprising signal dropout and proof the ADS-B defo works… (But all in all, I mighty fine beast)

14 Likes

Great review Ian,
Although 3 years in the making, looks like DJI have rushed this out to pay for the Christmas bonus scheme. All those missing features, sticks that you can’t change the smoothness of is just the start.
Then you have the very basic Fly App that was introduced to make flying more simple for newcomers yet they class this a a pro drone, or have at least stamped a prosumer price tag on it.

Hopefully things will improve for the Mavic 3 in the new year in the way of firmware updates. :crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

So is ADS-B in the UK version?

on the Air 2 this wasn’t available to us in the UK.

1 Like

Cheers. Yep, I do admit it’s less than I expected after 3 years, especially all the missing functions… The stick EXP is a pain; it’s very jumpy and even Cine mode isn’t enough. Hopefully they will add more to adjust this soon…

1 Like

It is on the Air2S, the FPV and now the Mavic 3 for us in the UK. And at 15:30 on the video, you see it in action… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great review Ian :+1: As much as a I want one, I think I’ll wait to see what happens with firmware updates in 2022. I’d love it to work my SC as I hate using my phone.

2 Likes

Hoping they will add the stick adjustments across the board including the 2S. Sport mode, it’s like a crazed bull on speed especially with the new bank cornering!
Cine mode isn’t that different to normal. They need to bring back Tripod.

2 Likes

and the GO4 app :+1:

I do miss the GO4 app :pensive:

To DJI, If it’s not broken, DON’T FIX IT!

I use it on my SC with my M2P then have to use the Fly app for my Mini2. I really don’t see the point in having two different apps. If DJI are now going to stick with the one I’d prefer it to be the far superior GO4.

I think the Go 4 app is only for legacy drones. Get used to the Fly App as it’s clearly the only app they’re focussing on…

2 Likes

This :point_up_2:

This was my complaint with the Mini2. My Spark’s tripod mode is so useful, and especially when working in tight spaces.

I wish DJI made their controllers customisable. Different filming situations do require changes in how the drone responds to control inputs. With all of my self builds, and some off the shelf drones that I’ve converted, I can adjust all aspects of the controller input and output (Rates, Expo, Differential, Resolution), and program mix functions. Even the Parrot Anafi has provision for the user to edit many of these settings, as does the 3DR Solo.

Fair enough, keep things simple with the Mini(2), after all it is the “Everyman” drone, but the M3 is aimed at the serious and professional user and as such should permit that user to have greater control of all functions and not just the camera.

2 Likes

Thanks for the review @ianinlondon
When it was first rumoured to have two lenses the first thing I thought was; great recording two views at the same time, a shame this wasn’t the way they went.
Though they could still implement it, why not show both camera views, even if it was limited to 4k30.

1 Like

From the general flow of feeling the 3 looks a bit of a “wrong un” to me, at least in its current guise. Very seriously now considering the M2 pro again… notice it is still available new even on Amazon. Odd two be considering the old (inferior?) Model.

2 Likes

This.

I was never a fan of the GO4 app, replacing it with Litchi as my goto for my original (and still great) MP.

DJIFLY is nice and clear, not cluttered and easy to navigate, but I’ll still ditch it, if and when DJI release the SDK for the Mini 2 and Litchi becomes available.

4 Likes

Just had a chat with DJI Re: Firmware updates and speed controls on the newer Mavic models including Air2S. I will be getting an email hopefully with more details.

2 Likes

In truth I genuinely felt that before I got it. I said to myself it’s a pointless half-baked lemon that I’m only getting in order to do YouTube reviews on. But all that changed yesterday when I finally held it and flew it.
If you didn’t have the 2 Pro, then this is a brilliant machine; a sensor twice the size of the 2 Pro, crazy long battery and a surprisingly good telephoto lens.
At this stage, leaving aside the missing features they’ve said they’re defo adding in January, my biggest issue is the sensitivity of the sticks and the inability to reduce this. You can sort pitch and yaw out, but jerking up and down and sideways is still a pain. But so far, in all other aspects, I already prefer the M3. Which genuinely surprises me… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If so, that’s excellent… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just watched video ianinlondon, very good. Informative. Whats missing for me is the Go4 app, goggles,crystalsky support. All that dosh and a smartphone screen!

1 Like

20 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tripltek Tablet - Feedback From Owners?