Greetings from a newbie - Warrington

I am new to the club (and drones). Essentially, I am a keen learner and already have gained my CAA Flyer & Ops ID (for my toy Global Drones Mavic clone).
My history includes a number of years in the Middle East and for the purpose of drone flying and weather, sincerely wish I could be back n the deserts of Oman.
So far, I have immensely enjoyed flying my drone indoors and look forward to my first, safe, outdoor flight.
I suspect I will have more than a few questions and beg your understanding as they come your way.
Noel

4 Likes

Hi Noel / @NJD1953, and welcome to GADC. :+1:

A “Global Drone Mavic Clone”, eh? You may be the only member to have one of those, but you are no less welcome for that. :wink:

Where abouts are you located?

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

(Don’t forget to add yourself to that map :+1: : How to add yourself to the Members Map )

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the words. At least now, I know I “exist” amongst droners :blush:.
Initially, I thought your words were straight forward until I attempted to put them into practice.
I located my approximate Warrington position and tried to select it but couldn’t. I then attempted to access my profile, but couldn’t.
Please know, I am more than a little acquainted with computing and I wonder if I’m over analysing your words?!
Your assistance is appreciated.
Noel

2 Likes

Your profile should be easily located … here’s a link.

Have another stab at the location and let me know if you can’t get it to work.

Welcome to GADC, Noel please fire away with your questions that you may have we are a friendly community that will certainly help you.

It is great to see that you have already completed the registration with the CAA.

The link works for me to see his profile, so it should work for Noel as well

Thank you, I should now have a profile and you’ll get an idea of who you’re dealing with :grin:

2 Likes

Soon as the weather clears, I’ll start my outdoor “work” and start learning :+1:t2:

1 Like

It did :+1:t2:

1 Like

I’m wondering if you overlooked clicking on the “Save” button, at the bottom of the profile page?

1 Like

Hi Noel, and Welcome to GADC , we are a like minded bunch of Drone Flyers who like to get together at “Meets” around various parts of the country.
Feel free to ask, (what you may think) are silly questions.
We all have been through the learning curve of owning our first drone, at some point.
It is better to ask a question ,than go out a wrap your prize possession round the first tree !.
Read up as much as you can, UTube is your friend, and lots of advice and tutorial videos are in abundance there.
Happy Flying, from one of the Old Farts !.

Probably but I think that’s now sorted :+1:t2:

Good idea, where are you based?

Warrington, Bank Quay.

Looking better. No location, as yet?

Just a quick word on the “Global Drone Mavic clone”. For the absolute beginner, it is, initially, a frightening drone to own as it is a relatively good and responsive drone and therefore unless the flyer has a calm nature it would not be unnatural for that person to panic. Once you have the confidence (and knowledge) to know exactly what the controls are for and what they actually “do”, you’ll find the Mavic clone is not a bad place, at all, to start.
Noel

1 Like

Does it have any features that the real Mavics have?

Welcome to the madhouse it’s a great club with fantastic people I hope you enjoy​:pray::ok_hand:

1 Like

The madhouse haha!

Other than the fact that it has four props and is similar in looks, other than it is smaller I would hazard a guess that it is nowhere near as good, or stable as the Mavic.
The photo imagery is good enough (1080) for a beginner. The video I have taken but I feel is limited by the reproduction on my iPhone (10).
I am going to attempt to post video of my first outdoor flight.