Height limit exceeded

Genuine question here.

Just supposing you inadvertently exceeded 400ft by say 28 feet for 30 seconds as you were concentrating on watching the drone rather than looking at the remote control and didn’t realise.

Would you
a) be concerned about it?
b) still upload your flight data to DJI?
c) not upload the flight data and not be concerned.
d) hide in the attic after burying the drone in the garden

It would have been a genuine mistake.
Asking for a friend, obviously.

2 Likes

For the record your ‘friend’ can set the max height limit of their Mini 2 in the App so they physically can’t exceed the 400ft limit if its gonna give them a panic attack everytime they go 30ft over the limit by accident :wink:

6 Likes

Thank you.

He may have got some lovely video of WSM from Brean Down whilst up there!!

2 Likes

Well maybe you could post it for him so everyone can enjoy it :wink:

How much of a risk is it to upload flight data which is potentially illegal to DJI?

Are they actively passing these on to local authorities?

1 Like

No.

3 Likes

I think their terms and conditions say they will assist agencies if needed

1 Like

Well - yes and no - if you take off from the top of a 200ft cliff, climb to the 400ft limit, then fly out beyond the cliff, you are now 600ft agl … and illegal.

4 Likes

That is a fair point but assuming flatish ground you’re less likely to do it by mistake

Ok Reverse that, say you were on a beach and wanted to overfly the 400 ft outcrop.

At what point could you start to exceed the 400 ft from the beach?

1 Like

At any point … providing you remain 400ft agl.

1 Like

So if a vertical cliff you can’t overfly it, in theory.

1 Like

Pretty sure DJI have got better things to be doing than monitoring 100s of thousands of flight data files and would only look at them if asked to by any of the world’s aviation bodies if there was an incident and it was under investigation. Was there an incident? Did the drone interfere with a manned aircraft? If not I’d say you’ve got nothing to worry about.

1 Like

Not me, I’m a good boy. My Fwiend!

1 Like

Depends on how high the cliff is. Imagine a 400ft length of string hanging from your drone the end of the string needs to be in contact with the ground at all times for it to be abiding by the drone code.

5 Likes

Thats a great simple analogy Deano :+1:t2:

1 Like

Worry about that when you find an incredibly rare 400ft cliff.

3 Likes

That was my understanding but was looking for excuses…for my friend!

1 Like

But let’s face it … this is all in the Drone Code that we’ve all been tested on and passed the test, surely.

6 Likes

Whoa! How the heck did you know his friend had a mini 2 :neutral_face:

4 Likes