Hello from in Ashford, Kent

Hi everyone. Recently got a DJI M3 drone after getting my operators ID…etc.

The DJI app on the controller is really good at showing exclusion zones but am not sure where I can go to practise without someone with a clipboard coming up to me and getting fined on the spot…etc!?

Any flyers in Ashford? Could you please help me out with where I can fly please?

TIA!

Hi @Allan_1970 and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

Hi Allan - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

Morning Alan welcome :+1:t2:

Hi Alan,

The DJI app is a little like our present crop of politicians in its attitude to reality, it omits some areas, invents others and has a loose relationship with accuracy.

Our own Drone Scene uses continually updated datasets from Altitude Angel and several other sources to provide a comprehensive, latered map that you can use with confidence. If you want to use it on your phone just add the browser page to your home screen as an icon.

It may look daunting at first by try switching layers on individually. Some of the restrictions are mandatory and permanent some - announced by NOTAM by the CAA and appearing in real-time on the map - are temporary. Many areas are advisory. Click on any area to get a pop-up with an explanation of what the restriction may be.

Irregular purple areas, mainly on the coast, are your friend, the Crown Estates permit flying on their land as long as you follow the drone code.

If you find it all a bit confusing at first ask more questions in here.

Have fun!

Thanks!

Thanks mate

:slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Allan, I have flown at Hothfield Common on a number of occasions no trouble, try to avoid weekends but there is plenty of room to get away from people

Brilliant, cheers mate :+1:!

Hi Allan_1970 and welcome! You’ve joined a wonderful club where you’ll find no end of knowledge and humour.
Don’t worry about the clipboards - and even if someone gets you to land and later it turns out it was a clipboard in disguise you’ll be better armed the next time :innocent:

:slightly_smiling_face::+1: