Hello from Southampton, UK

Hi,

I’ve just purchased a second-hand DJI Mavic Mini, and have done my first couple of flights. I live in Southampton near the General Hospital, which is the big cluster of buildings you can see in a couple of the images below.

I’m really enjoying flying the drone, and am starting to get the hang of it (videos aren’t great yet, but I’m getting some nice photos).

I’ve really enjoyed looking around at the posts here - and am hoping to participate in some of the challenges soon (though I’m sitting out the ‘lights’ one as I’m nowhere near confident enough to fly in the dark/twilight yet).

Cheers,

Robin

4 Likes

Hi @robintw and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

Hi… Welcome to GADC I’m in Fareham, not to far from you.

1 Like

Welcome aboard @robintw
For the challenges, think outside the box! Use your imagination and creativity. It doesnt have to be a pitchblack sky lit up by a football ground to qualify, get out and try your luck. Imagination and creativity are all thats required, oh, and of course a drone :rofl:

@robintw - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

Welcome @robintw

There’s a few of us here in and around the Southampton area. You’ll often find me at Calshot.

Hi @robintw and welcome to GADC :+1: :+1:

Hi @robintw :wave:t2:

Welcome Robin to GADC :clap: :clap:

Welcome @robintw, You’ll find some good stuff in here.

Hi Robin welcome to the club

Hi Robin,

Welcome to the club!

Southampton here too, I know theres quiote a few of us, but never seen anyone else flying locally.

@robintw welcome

Welcome, I’m in Southampton too, near the top of The Avenue. Just make sure you use Drone Scene as there are restrictions over most of the city.

Hi I’m from Romsey so not far from you.

Hi Robin, welcome to Grey Arrows, a fantastic resource for Drone users.

Can I suggest the Drone Assist UK App, by Altitude Angel, as another resource, it will show you High Risk areas so you can fly safely.

Also available as a layer in our very own DroneScene

To be fair there’s not that many except for the FRZ around Southampton Airport and its approaches.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I’ve tried to go and add a new location to Drone Scene, but I get a message saying that I need to write a post in Introductions and then I’ll be able to add a new location. This post is my post in Introductions…do I need to do something else?

1 Like