Help and Advice for flying in the SE

Hi all. First post and I hope I can get some advice. I have Mini 2, live in the Copthorne area of Crawley near Gatwick. On the drone assist app, my house falls inside the Gatwick CTR which is also a FRZ. I’ve seen a few people on drone scene add locations in the FRZ that they have flown. On the Drone Scene website map, my house falls outside the FRZ. As a PPL holder I know that the Gatwick CTR is a no go without ATC permission. So, according to the drone assist app, I cant fly my drone anywhere in the area, but drone scene map, says I can? Which is correct?

Cheers

They both use the same data set, perhaps you can share some screen shots of the differences ?

Oh, and welcome to GADC

Drone assist shows the airspace as I would see it when flying my plane as a PPL holder. Drone scene only shows airfield and its stubs. So according to drone assist I shouldn’t be flying anywhere in the local area.

You have not got like for like layers enabled.

Class D is enabled by the looks of of DA and not on DS

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve added the Class D airspace to Drone Scene. Back to my original query. I see that a few people have flown within that Class D airspace. Last year I flew my drone in my garden 10/15m high and got the old bill knocking on the door saying I wasn’t allowed as it was close to LGW and off they went. Apparently LGW airport pinged my drone. My house is not in the FRZ but within the Class D. So can I fly it or not is my question. Not necessarily from home with neighbour privacy issues etc, but perhaps from a local park or woodland.

From the FAQs section on the NATS website…

So provided the drone is less than 20kg, you don’t need any additional permissions for the CTZ.

More likely Karen next door

1 Like

Probably the best way to reassure yourself and to provide a paper trail to prove that flying within the LGW area Class D is to contact them via email explaining where you live and that you wish to clarify that there are no objections to you flying strictly within their Class D airspace.

The confirmation email can then be printed out ready to show any busybody that “knows the law”

1 Like

I cant help you in your quest, but would I be correct in assuming you’re from somewhere around Natal (originally)

1 Like

You would be correct in your assumption. :sunglasses:

I should of course have given it’s correct name of Kwazulu Natal, home of the mighty Zulu warrior. I was born in Newcastle and have family scattered all over the country. Been in Scotland since I was 5 but still very proud of my SA heritage. Anyway, sorry for derailing your post :slight_smile:

Good idea, thanks. All my research tells me I am allowed to fly my mavic mini in my area and any class D airspace (not FRZ’s). I did exactly that, messing around in my garden last night and not high enough for neighbor’s to complain!

1 Like