Help, lost a big video file

I know that feeling, third week into a virus we all seem to have in the house and up all night coughing, I was then up at 2am for work and didn’t get home until 5.30pm, I need a lottery win :tired_face::cry:

1 Like

I’m not sure which video editing software you use but, before deleting the questionable/unplayable video file from your computer, it would be interesting to see if that is able to read it OK.

It’s probably also worth formatting the SD Card (in the drone) and then creating a test video >2GB with the M2Z … just to ensue there isn’t an issue that needs resolving under warranty.

Multi-part videos created should all be individually viewable.

That’s a good idea Dave. I use Final Cut Pro, so I’ll do that tomorrow.

Test vid is good idea too. Maybe something strange about the 2GB barrier. Only 7 minutes though.

2GB shouldn’t be an issue.

I’ve run past that “limit” and created multi file videos that are all individually playable and edit together with absolutely no frame loss.

:thinking:

Actually - what am I saying?

exFAT is a 4GB file size limit.

It should reach that OK without an issue.

Did you format the card in the M2P or in the computer?
Always better to format in the drone … then it creates the exact environment it needs.

It’s a weird one, FAT32 has a 4GB size limit, exFAT doesn’t have a single file size limit as such.

Yet DJI enforce 4GB splits on their media files (Osmo pocket does the same thing).

Maybe it’s historic? As in older Phantom support? :thinking:

We know they don’t write apps or firmware from scratch so it may be inherited.

Perhaps that’s to (hopefully!) handle cards that have been formatted to FAT32 on a computer?

2 Likes

Ah good spot, could well be just that :+1:t2:

2 Likes

All my splits are around the 3.6GB mark.

Quite like them being split as importing massive files into editing software can be bit of a nightmare.

Think the mavic only formats cards over 32GB as exfat. Anything lower is FAT32.

Yup - they do fall short of 4GB … it could be problematic doing it right to the byte. :wink:

I need to check this now.

Resolve happily accepted 200 x 500MB earlier. :wink:

Seem to be able to chuck anything at Resolve and it laps it up.

1 Like

I had this exact issue today too with the Mavic Mini.

Mine appears to coincide with a RC disconnect mid-flight (more on that in another thread).

But what it’s left me with is a 1.53GB file, which as per Andrew’s description above also has the correct icon but similarly unable to play it on the Mac or on Windows after trying a variety of players.

The cached version is on the phone and intact but the SD Card version is clearly damaged.

Luckily, it wasn’t an important video, just a back garden test flight kinda thing. Concerned though, as neither the Mavic Pro or Inspire have ever left me with partial video files.

Any tools to repair?

As per my advice above, Andrew recovered his by using the app to download from the SD card to his phone.

Is the cached video file on the device not at a low(er) resolution Dave?

The cache is - yes - that’s why you want to DOWNLOAD the one from the card. :wink:

If you look at Andrew’s video, you can see that it’s full res. :+1:

1 Like

But won’t that give me the same corrupt file? :thinking:

Hands up, I didn’t look.

Ok, so that’s the bit I missed then, downloading from the card, via the app, keeps things at full res.

Result :+1:t2:

Well - it didn’t for Andrew …. it was all tickety boo!

But also, weird?!

How does that work, does it transcode on the fly or something?

1 Like

It’s obviously a little less fussy … or, at least, it was in Andrew’s case.

1 Like

I would guess that it is a separate file, stored on the phone, not the one on the card.