Help?! New DJI Mini 3 Pro user, but I feel I can't find anywhere I'm assured is legal to fly

Hull is not too far from you, there is a meet on Sunday :+1:t2:

@spurs936 welcome

3 Likes

That byelaw would not apply to drones as they are battery powered. Just go somewhere quiet with no people and enjoy flying your drone.

1 Like

The vast majority of “public footpaths” are on land owned by “someone” other than a public council/body and, indeed, they have to be adequately maintained by that “someone” - stiles/gates/etc - and they are not allowed to obstruct access.

Mega-shite … Nicholas van Hoogstraten was famous for attempts at obstruction, building sheds on the paths, etc. … but, as far as I recall, all his attempts were successfully quashed - legally and physically.

2 Likes

Soooooo… all good then, right? :wink:

1 Like

I think this Sunday will be a little difficult with family commitments, but I will keep a look out now for others that pop in that or the other meet-ups thread. Hadn’t discovered that yet. Thanks!

1 Like

Ponderosa in Upperthorpe is a good place to just learn the basics, on the football pitch. The pub out at Lodge Moor with a big field behind it is apparently used by RC model people but I don’t tend to fly there. There’s a place out towards Dore after you leave Whirlow, on the left side before the speed camera that is a bit overgrown, but relatively ok to fly. Besides that, look out towards Handsworth, there is tons of places. Graves Park is possible. Derbyshire wise, a few around Stoney Middleton. Top of Ringinglow/Stanage there are a bunch of places you can pull off at and park up and fly from. Redmires Reservoir is good as well. Grenoside woods is a possible and there are a few clearings up there you can take off from. A few places out towards Meadowhall that you can get away with on a Sunday afternoon. Even stuff like the top car park at Morrisons Hillsborough is possible after the store closes on a Sunday (and the car park is locked).

I fly many of those places FPV without issue. Avoid busy places and you will be fine. Or fly at 6am in the morning and avoid the numps that seem to congregate and moan. :slight_smile:

Avoid the old ski slope, tons of shady people around there. Avoid Parson Cross and the Manor, for the same reason.

Other possibilities, Chesterfield Bando or Matlock Bando might work, but are more FPV orientated. Search geograph for Folly Towers and abandoned quarries. There are a few littered around the area. Quarries are good for learning at, as they tend to be pretty sterile areas with no people.

2 Likes

spurs936: Have you come across the Black Belt Barrister? He is an actual barrister with an interest in drone flying. He has a YouTube channel and two of his videos are called “Can a local council ban drones?” and “Drone Laws UK”.

In the first of these videos he refers to a study carried out by two of his colleagues in the profession, which looked at several hundred bye-laws concerning drone flying. They found that not one of them is accurate, some attempt to supercede CAA regs, and the feeling that none of them would stand up in court.

He is very informative and entertaining, but stresses that for obvious reasons, his videos should not be taken as legal advice.

1 Like

I tend to agree in the most part but beware of the National Trust and areas that are designated SSSi’s. The former you can fly legally over but not TOAL and the latter I wouldn’t bother doing either without authorisation from the governing body concerned.

Stay away from FRZ (unless flight is in Class D airspace and your drone is sub 250g or you have authorisation from the relevant ATC), ignore DJI NFZ and Council Policies that are not backed up with a relevant By-law and respect peoples privacy (don’t hover over their gardens or what is considered a height that is commencerate with their normal enjoyment of their property/land).

Most of all enjoy it!

2 Likes

If your on this site then you have access to drone scene which will give you a start

2 Likes

Matt, @PathfinderFPV

I keep seeing this word, Bando, on many threads, What does it mean?
Cheers
Mike

1 Like

Short for A"bando"ned. :wink:

2 Likes

@Earwig
No, none the wiser :confused:

WAIT! got it abandoned. Tried to add an image but won’t work.

Cheers

1 Like

Abandoned building:

Which is a great place to fly an FPV drone @Speedbird

Hi Spurs, I see from your post highlighting the bylaws, the wording of the bylaw pertaining to model aircraft etc, says “ about flying in a manner to give reasonable cause for annoyance to people/ wildlife”
I would honestly say, go fly your drone, just don’t fly where you’re likely to annoy A N Other, or the odd fox / badger etc. Bylaws are always strangely worded beasts, full of gobbledygook, designed to be vague at best.

1 Like

If I’m brutally honest I play the ignorance card when it comes to bylaws. If there is no FRZ and I can find a nice public spot to take off and land I will fly. If I’m approached and asked to stop flying then I will. But in the 3 years that I’ve been flying I’ve never been approached once. Just go fly and enjoy it stop worrying about the rules that don’t exist. Just stick to the drone code and you’ll be good :+1:t2:

1 Like

Basically bandos are places most public fear to tread, which lessens the chance of encounters and annoyances. Generally the only people you will come across are pilots, urbex people, sometimes taggers, occasionally dog walkers. But generally people who have a hobby and are there for some reason. I guess the fringe users. The mainstream public, generally tend to give them a wide berth.

Some are more problematic than others, or have a bad rep. The crack house bando in London being one of, go there with others but it’s not really a place for camera drone users, more an FPV haunt. But stuff like Matlock Bando or Chesterfield Bando, you would probably be ok at. But I think with a camera drone you could fly most places and no one would say anything. Just avoid farms and commercial properties. Also there’s a scrap yard up Wakefield way where a guy nearly got lynched for flying his camera drone the other month. If the place you want to fly is away from people and commercial property, you will probably be fine, but if you want to fly near a farm, you could always ask, most people aren’t confrontational, especially if you have a reason like filming a specific feature.

FPV tends to be much louder and draws people in due to the noise. But then they also might take one look at us and think again. :wink: Like any pack group, attacking one is likely to end up with that person getting a good kicking.

National Trust is all over and they have their own gestapo patrolling it, but I still fly over/from NT property from time to time. If you find somewhere well away from the crowds and don’t make an ass of yourself, there is nothing stopping you flying under the radar. Albeit it’s much easier with a 75mm whoop that makes bugger all noise, but I think you could probably do it out in the Peaks without too much issue. If in doubt you just need the two magic words for the rangers. First one starts with a “F” and the second with an “O”. Helps if you look like you might follow through as well. Or you can be diplomatic. Take your pick on that. I’ve only had a couple of run ins and the only one that went further than I like the guy essentially threatened to take my radio off me and I reminded him he was 4 miles from the nearest road and his radio didn’t appear to be working very well (lots of static and muffled voices). He left. Never had any issues since. :stuck_out_tongue: But most of the time they don’t want the conflict.

2 Likes

I live quite close to an airport, and when I contacted the control Tower about flying on the edge of FRZ
they were really helpful, not at all difficult and just requested that I contact them prior to take off. They even said others do fly right up by the airport , as long as they are informed. Also got a open invitation to visit control tower. Nice to know there’s some genuinely helpful people out there.

3 Likes

‘or by one or more electric motors’

1 Like

Thank you to @everyone for the responses. I think now I have a better frame of mind.

Time for me to stop worrying so much and just go fly. :slight_smile:

1 Like