Help?! New DJI Mini 3 Pro user, but I feel I can't find anywhere I'm assured is legal to fly

Hey. I’m a new DJI Mini 3 Pro user, but having searched here there and everywhere I feel like I can’t find anywhere I’m assured is legal to fly.

I live in Sheffield, super close to the Peak District. Having tried to digest as much information as I can, It feels like the more I read the less I know.

No idea where I can and can’t fly. Who has all the correct and up to date information on restrictions etc.

Help?! :sob:

1 Like

Hi @spurs936 and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Our Associates are able to enjoy a lot of great services for free but our Members are eligible for a whole lot more! You can find all the details about our Membership Benefits on our FAQ :smiley:

Welcome once again!

1 Like

Hey! I have and I am signed up as a member. Yet I still don’t feel like I am aware of what is actually right or wrong.

Locations in the peaks are flight logs are few years old now. That coupled with open access land notes, I just feel completely lost.

Try taking a look at our very own ‘Good 2 Go’ feature Here . Answer some simple questions and it will help you determine where you can and cant fly.
As a general comment with a Sub 250g drone like the Mini 3 Pro you can fly them almost anywhere as long as youre not in a flight restriction zone (which you can check using DroneScene here) and there are no by-laws relevant in the area restricting take off and landing etc.

I think it’s the by-laws that are conflicting everything, finding it very difficult to get a clear answer either way. I thought getting the sub 250g drone would help these be ‘easy’ and fun.

I appreciate your help!

1 Like

Have you got anywhere specific in mind that you want to fly but are not sure? Or are you looking in more general terms? What kind of areas are you concerned about flying in?

1 Like

Probably the Peak District to be honest, hopefully I can go to locations that are open and will allow me to practice.

Likely locations in this area. I understand the PD by-laws state flight is not permitted in open access land, but this map only suggest PD open access mainly in the north east. But I’m not sure if thats actually the case and more land is covered by this in the image I’ve attached.

I dont have any local knowledge of by-laws in the Peak District Im afraid but we have loads of members from all over the country so Im sure some locals will be along shortly to say hi and give some advice on flying in the Peak District :+1:t2:
Out of curiosity what is the spurs in your username referring to? Is it football related?

2 Likes

Thank you for your help anyway!

Unfortunately it is, supporting Spurs is currently the only thing more painful than finding somewhere I know I’m good to fly. :joy:

1 Like

Its a dirty job but I guess someones gotta do it :man_shrugging:t3:

:rofl:

1 Like

From the details here ( https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/frequently-asked-questions/drones ), it seems there aren’t any actual byelaws; they state that the CAA rules apply. However, their wording seems intended to try and frighten people off!

It’s where you take off and land that matter more than where you fly (as long as you’re not in a no-fly zone, of course). My understanding is that if you’re on a public footpath, for example, you can take off from there. I’m sure others far more knowledgeable will let you know more.

1 Like

That’s pretty much what I thought.

If a footpath is on access land or PD owned land is it still a public footpath? Such a mine field all this, already fed up and I’ve barely even flown. :joy:

It’s just in the " Byelaws exist which precludes the flying of certain aircraft on access land - you can view a copy of these [byelaws]https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/96332/Byelaws-for-Access-Land-1996.pdf)

2 Likes

Hmm, they seem to be very tight on flying things! This only covers the specified access land, which is privately owned. But even there, if there’s a public footpath (or bridleway, etc.) on the Ordnance Survey map, I believe this is public land. So for example, where the Pennine Way goes up Kinder Scout is a public footpath, despite it going throigh access land.

(Note I’m not an expert on this! :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

I take the view that if there isn’t a published FRZ, or if there isn’t a physical sign saying “no drone flying here” then you can do it. i.e everything is permitted unless it is specifically forbidden. Plus, do it quick and depart quickly.

2 Likes

Also the golden rule of “it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission”.

2 Likes

It doesn’t say you cant fly at all. It just says don’t be a nuisance.

2 Likes

That wouldn’t stop me either without an FRZ u less it was obviously private land

1 Like

Just go and fly mate :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I probably just need to get out of my own head and just go fly :pray:t2:

2 Likes

If you can go with a flying buddy, it’ll get your confidence up immediately.