Help with the new (to me) machine, please

Having decided to bow out of the Birthday Challenge, I spent some time on the quads yesterday.

Firstly, I have a proper replacement motor for the Croc (7 days from order to delivery from Banggood, CN) fitted. It seems to be OK, but I’m getting some odd behaviour on the bench:

This is in Acro mode. I’ve managed a brief hover test indoors ( :scream: ) but the runaway doesn’t seem to happen until you hit around 50% throttle, so I guess I won’t properly know if it’s an issue until I’ve done some outdoor test flights. Anyway, the side-effect of this is that I’ve replaced the XM+ receiver in the Croc.

So onto the Nazgul…

I fitted the XM+ receiver but still failed to bind. In truth, I expect it to be “pre-bound” thanks to using it on the Croc, but I needed to rebind after putting it back on the Croc, so maybe it loses its binding when you mess with it. :man_shrugging:

@notveryprettyboy asked about ports and config in BF, and @SirGunner asked about the RX UART.

These are the same as the Croc for UARTs 1 & 2, and as specified in the SUCCEX-E F4 V2.1 wiring diagrams for “use another transmitter”.

I’ve actually screen grabbed most of the BF setup in this document, should there be anything else any helpful soul might be interested in. :wink:

For 12 quid, even though I didn’t really have any joy with the XM+ on the Naz, I am tempted to just get another one because I know that it should work and I can definitely rule out the RX being an issue.

Unfortunately I have a gig this afternoon, so I won’t necessarily have a massive amount of time to mess about with it.

I did change the on-board LEDs from green to yellow though. :stuck_out_tongue: :partying_face:

really ???

This is due to Airmode being active and is perfectly normal Jez :+1:t2:

Yeah, I’ve got one more entry to post, but I assessed the situation yesterday and realised that I had higher priority demands on my time this weekend. Maybe “bow out” is the wrong phrase. “Stop actively participating” is probably closer. :slight_smile:

Bugger! Although I’m very happy for there to be nothing wrong with my quad, it would have been nice to have an explanation for it’s last flight being approximately 9 seconds long, more or less straight up into a roof beam in the bando. Other than my woeful piloting skills, that is. :rofl:

Is your rx bound to the receiver? Also not sure but for Frsky xm+ is serial sbus the correct setting in betaflight?

I’ve done this about six times so far :smiley: usually when ‘the committee’ have stripped me of a bonus point :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

After a bit of research it appears that it is.If your receiver is definitely bound to your Transmitter have a look at this YouTube video and check the receiver wiring to the flight controller and the receiver setting in the ports tab.

I’m back on the R-XSR in the Nazgul now. :grin:
But, serial SBUS, is correct for the XM+
I had the settings exactly the same as the Croc, and it works in that. According to the destructions it should be the same for the R-XSR, too.
But no, the issue I’m having is that I can’t seem to get the TX12 bound to the R-XSR (nor did it seem to want to bnind to the XM+ when I had it in the Nazgul). Again, same settings that work for binding to the Croc.

Edit: I’ve checked the wiring. It’s on plugs both ends, but it seems to be correct.

That end looks good.

Leaflet in the box is for the ACCST R-XSR, so I assume that’s correct.

The blue LED is lit when powered on.

1 Like

It all looks fine there Jez. Has the receiver definitely got the correct firmware installed? You need to make sure its bound before anything will work through Betaflight

The more I hear about issues with FrSky receivers, the more glad I am that I put all my stuff onto Crossfire.
It’s a fit and never worry about solution
:smiley:

2 Likes

:point_up_2:t2: this! :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s exactly the issue. :grin:

As per previous post, I flashed v1.* of the firmware, just to make sure, on the understanding that v2 causes issues with tiny whoops and I didn’t want to update my TX12 and have it stop working with my Nanohawk.

I had to do this with the Croc as well, which shipped from China with the v2 firmware. But this is why I’m tempted to just get another XM+, because I’ve been down this path before with that hardware and managed to make it work.

@Steviegeek and @DeanoG60, much as I appreciate the sentiment, if I can fix this with £12 (or preferably £0), rather than £115 then that would be my preferred route. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How many £12’s plus hours of stressing and messing around have you gotta go through before you see the light though? My Nazgul started life with an XM+ I flew it once and got RSSI critical when I went behind a tree about 200 yards out. After that I decided Crossfire was worth the spend and haven’t looked back :ok_hand:t2:

I appreciate that this clearly isn’t the answer you’re looking for so I’ll say no more about it :+1:t2:

5 Likes

:point_up: this :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

You are absolutely correct, I’m in full agreement, and a couple of months ago there would have been no question. But my finances have changed recently and I’ve started paying attention to my outgoings again.

1 Like

Totally get where you are coming from Jez but when you’re in a better position money wise it really is a worthwhile upgrade to do. Maybe even take a look at ELRS as this is getting fantastic reviews and is fairly cheap in comparison to other links :+1:t2:
I’m afraid I don’t know much about frsky other than what I’m googling lol It does seem that the kind of binding issue you are having is fairly common with frsky though. All I can think is to try different firmware versions until you find one that works with your receiver mate

When you are trying to bind with the transmitter are you definitely selecting ACCST D16 on the transmitter?

Just found this video on binding the R-XSR