Help with the new (to me) machine, please

Cheers, Steve. I manged to put up with the Lancashire accent and get through it. :rofl:

I’ll have another stab at it soon. Annoyingly the TX12 only seems to stay in binding mode for about 5 seconds, so it’s a mad dash to get the binding procedure initiated on the receiver.

And I should own up to the fact that I had a squint at the coffers earlier and I have Crossfire kit on the the way. If its not the walk in the park you lot have been saying it is I’m coming for all of you. :wink: :grin:

At least it was only around 3 minutes you had to put up with it for :rofl:

You won’t regret it Jez :smirk: lol

Or alternatively try Ghost, all the range benefits of Crossfire but with the bandwidth efficiency, low latency, and antenna size of Tracer. And like to TBS offerings you don’t have to be a world champion at Twister to bind as it’s automatic.

1 Like

As usual, JB has the low-down.

You could even save yourself 35 minutes. At ~1:55

“Almost all of the control protocols are really freakin’ good. Almost all of them are more than most people are ever gonna need, which means when it comes time to pick which one is the right one for you, in a certain sense any of them could be good.”

This on the HobbyRC page for the Ghost bundle re. latency made me smile:

Can racers feel this? good question to ask… but maybe a better question is whether you want to race against a pilot which is using it…

There may actually be no detectable physical advantage, so let’s sell it via FUD. :slight_smile:

I know I’ve only used it for one session but me eLRS held up brilliantly. OK for me as hadn’t bought into any other technologies yet! Will probabyl stick with it

I bought it because Crossfire has limited bandwidth, and at the time Tracer was going into failsafe at close range meaning it had serious issues.

ELRS is great for distance on simple quads and wings, but the lower resolution and channel capacity of the system limits its use on more complex builds. My intention with Ghost is to, over time, fit it to all my flying things which include my larger multirotors, warbirds, gliders, 3D/Sport planes, and heli’s.

It’s also worth noting that eLRS is not LBT compliant and so not strictly legal for UK/EU use. In January 2015 a new ETSI standard was introduced whereby any digital radio device intended for use in the EU and operating in the ISM bands (433MHz, 868MHz, 2.4GHz, 5GHz) had to be LBT (Listen Before Transmit) compliant. Legacy devices already in the EU could still be sold, until stocks were depleted, and used. But devices manufactured after this date could not be sold or imported for use in the EU, and the UK as it is today. Now companies such as Happymodel, BetaFPV, Topacc, and HGLRC, are making these commercially there could be repercussions for UK dealers importing these units and offering them for sale. It happened before when the Jumper T16 first came into the UK, OFCOM visited a few dealers whom were forced to remove them from sale as they were neither certified nor compliant for use in the UK.

From a user standpoint there’s very little to no chance you’d have your collar felt for flying with one of these systems. However if you were involved in a legal/criminal incident while flying everything will be closely scrutinised including the radio gear. Back in 2014 a FPV pilot found himself in court in front of the Police, MOD, the CAA, and OFCOM. OFCOM were involved because the radio gear he was using had not been certified for use in the ISM allocation and they wanted their pound of flesh also.

2 Likes

Oooh that’s interesting. Did not know this. I knew had to get the 2.4 (not ~900). You think as you can buy the radio gear it’d be legal (from HobbyRC/Unmanned tech , etc). then again they sell radio equip that can emit over the allowed power ratings, though they CAN be used at the correct power, where as the 2.4Ghz eLRS can’t be used legally I presume?

I personally think that the consumer should not be wholly responsible as you purchased the equipment in good faith. The rules, regulations, and standards are at best a minefield for those directly involved and responsible for RF technologies, never mind the person who just wants a reliable link between his controller and RC model. If you look up the schedule for LBT it’s around 73pages of superstrong Benzodiazipan.

As a user there’s very little chance of repercussions, OFCOM are understaffed and over worked and have more important tasks to deal with. However if you use any form of insurance, whether that be BMFA, FPVUK, or other third party cover, check the small print. The chap I mentioned in my previous post tried to use the BFMA legal services but they refused it on the grounds that his radio gear was not legal to use without the appropriate licence.

Midge very helpful. Can you please delete your last two posts so I can remain blissfully unaware of this … I’ve tried to Google that information too and can’t find anything on it (not that I don’t trust what you’re saying, with your experience and detailed knowledge!)

And why would LBT be banned anyways? Just interested. A good strong connection is what’s needed I guess

It’s not banned.

LBT, otherwise known as Listen Before Transmit, was brought about to reduce interference to other users. During every power on both the receiver and transmitter check for other activity on the band and then communicate a clear space within the band to establish a connection.

If you use a multiprotocol radio you’ll notice that there are two Frsky D16 protocols, one labelled LBT and the other Non EU, or something like this. FrSky’s older, and many claim more robust, D8 protocol could not be engineered to function with LBT and so Frsky dropped it. That’s why you’ll find many Chinese bind and fly models using this protocol as Frsky have no interest. But start messing with their D16 protocol, as Radiomaster and Jumper did with some of their receivers, and Frsky will start getting all upset.

Also search for “Listen Before Talk” which is the more common nomenclature.

Thanks @Nidge always good to expand your knowledge. Found a few interesting reads. Fascinating how it works at low levels.

Quite the opposite. Sorry Nidge :slight_smile:

The Crossfire kit has arrived. :partying_face:

And I now realise that I’ll need to mount the antenna somehow.

I found this but it seems overkill given that I have no current plans to add GPS (let’s get it working first).

I suppose it’s time to put my CAD skills into practise.

Oh, wait, here we go. Had to try several different search terms before this one turned up.

3 Likes

Hmm. Looks like YouTube has been spying on me again. This was in my recommendations.

It’s a good watch to be fair Jez :ok_hand:t2:

Alot of people cabletie them to the arms if you’re looking for a temp fix

Is this for the Nazgul?

Yes. I note I also have bendy RX antennae, along with the Immortal Ts