Image problems making new Mavic unusable

Thanks, Amazon are pretty good for returning stuff. I took a chance with DD because of the price, but…

I’ve been buying form the Direct group since they were 2 brothers selling discounted camcorders and hifi gear on Wakefield market.

Never a drone though, and always in store (they are reasonably close to me).

I think nowadays it’s that big company mentality of trying to pass blame, I even had it with John Lewis and a poorly Sonos speaker a few years ago.

2 Likes

I just finished speaking to them (after 30 mins on hold) and they were still trying to cloud the issue. I started to tell them that under the consumer rights act 2015…and the attitude immediately changed. They wanted me to send it back myself, but I told them I wanted a courier to collect it as quoted on their own site, so now they are coming to collect it on Friday. They still said if there was no fault found they would be giving me it back, but if there wasnt a fault I would have kept it, I did want it after all!!

I just hope the fault shows up when they check it out, just my luck if thats the time it works!

Andy

3 Likes

@callum, your wording came in useful, they are sending a courier to collect it on Friday. I will keep you all updated

3 Likes

Good stuff mate. :+1:

You need to be firm with companies like this.

Make sure and supply them with details of the fault and what you did to try and resolve it, ie tried multiple devices etc.

Even if they try and say there is no fault remind them it’s a new item, was faulty out the box and you contacted them within 14 days or receiving order.

I had similar with an IP CCTV cam. Company (ballicom) stated there was no fault and wanted to send it back to me. They wouldnt budge and extremely rude.

Sent them a demand before action stating I would be getting an independant engineers report and pursuing them for value of the camera, report and legal costs. Had a full refund next day.

I love a good complaint (when justified). Think everyone should be aware of their consumer rights. Loads of good templates out there for just about any problem you can imagine.

A lot of companies bend the rules to their liking knowing they can easily cave when someone knows their rights. You cant take someone to court without giving them a demand before action so they do pretty much whatever they like until this point.

1 Like

I will make sure I supply full details of everything. I already did but they can conveniently lose details.

When I said “according to the Consumer Rights Act 2015” it was as if I said magic words.

I am a bit concerned they may not find a fault and want to give it back to me, as @kvetner can confirm, it occasionally corrects itself when picked up and moved about, but never stays that way. I just hope they dont get awkward, I can do without this hassle! I just want to fly a drone and get nice footage, not do battle with someone by email and phone.

Thanks for the advice!

3 Likes

If you have a local trading standards, its worth a call to them for a bit of advice too, and to let them know where you are at with your issue.

Or give https://www.wyjs.org.uk/trading-standards/ a shout, they will cover the Huddersfield area where DD are based.

I have god positive results and advice with West Yorkshire Trading Standards.

2 Likes

Wouldnt worry too much mate, it will be fine.

Even if they cant find a fault stand your ground and you will get your way.

1 Like

I used trading standards services about 15 years ago regarding a motorhome I bought with lots of problems the dealers had blatantly lied about. They were so helpful, I got 100% refund within a fortnight. Thanks for reminding me, and for the link. I hope I dont have to contact them but we will see!

1 Like

I hate it personally, it stresses me out. I like life to be straightforward. It very rarely is though!

3 Likes

Any news @AndyQC4?

1 Like

Sorry about the delay in answering, but I wanted to wait until everything was final.

I returned it, then as they hadnt bothered contacting me 4 days after I knew they had received it (tracking) I sent a polite email asking what was happening.

I had a reply on the following Saturday saying they believed my problem had been resolved, so on Monday morning I decided to phone them again (despite my last call costing over £5 due to 30 mins holding).

I held for 15 minutes, but again nobody was answering, so I tried going through the sales dept, and guess what - it got answered straight away!! I asked them to get their returns dept to let me know what was happening by Tuesday or I would be contacting Trading Standards.

Next morning I had a message saying my money had been refunded, and to allow 3-5 days for it to show in my account. No explanation, no acknowledgement of the fault, no offer of replacement, just “heres your money back”!

“Contact us, we love talking to our customers” says their website, but in reality the online chat has been stopped, they dont answer the phones and each email gets answered by a different person who doesnt know anything.

So, the refund arrived today, and as nobody else is selling them for anywhere near their price, it looks like the wife is getting new carpets and I am sticking to the Phantom for now. Never mind, in the end I was just relieved to get my money back.

Thanks again for your help, it made things easier to have an “expert witness”.

All the best

Andy

5 Likes

Thanks to everyone for their advice and input, you were all helpful in your own ways and it is good to be able to talk things over and hear peoples opinions.

What a great forum!

Andy

2 Likes

You’re not alone in your experiences of Drones Direct being a fucking shit company to deal with (and that’s putting it politely).

Tagging @ash2020 in to this thread as he’s currently having a similar nightmare with them.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, people need to know to avoid cowboy outfits like this.

Sorry to hear you’ll not be getting another Mavic :confused:

3 Likes

Thanks for that Rich and thanks Andy. Glad you got your refund. I must say I’m feeling stupid for going against my gut feeling not to use Drones Direct, all for £250 discount!

4 Likes

Glad you got sorted.

the only thing i bought from them was the fly more kit and that was a joke.
told i could get it £10 cheaper and was told that would be a import and they don’t sell imports
I then asked if it was a genuine DJI product of course it is was the reply

Oh ok where are DJI based?? erm china was the reply, so i got £10 knocked off :rofl:
Hey i’m from yorkshire a tenner is a tenner

3 Likes

I tried to find posts about your problem but couldnt.

The prices do tempt people in, but I wonder how they can do them so cheap when nobody else can?

My problem should have been so straightforward, faulty from out of the box! I get the impression the place is staffed by adolescents who get angry if they are asked to actually do something, because they cant be bovvered!

I wouldnt touch them again, I would rather do without than go through the hassle.

Good luck

Andy

1 Like

Im sorry too!! Maybe one day…

Check these out @AndyQC4

Where exactly are the M2P/M2Z flight logs kept?

WTF happened here?

Now I'm really scared - lost connection again

And that was just from one member!

:confused:

And my own grief with them: I'll not be using Drones Direct again!

There are lots of people here who’ve had nothing but bad experiences and shit customer service from them.

2 Likes

Must say,got my MP platinum from them,perfect,no problems,but that was obviously brand new,and sealed in the box. Guess i was lucky there,reading all the horror stories here.I will now be far more likely to avoid DD in the future.:wink: