Inspire 1 + 4k + XT Thermal for $6k US - Worth it?

Hey friends!

As some of you know I’ve been looking at getting a thermal capable drone! I’m so torn between a Mavic Dual (will it do what I want? good enough resolution? etc) vs an older Inspire 1 with a Zenmuse XT.

I’ve just been offered a almost new Inspire 1 + 4k camera + Zenmuse XT 30hz 640 13mm for around $6,000 US dollars including shipping to UK.

I’m VERY tempted to buy it! What do folks think?

Irrespective of value-for-money …. my main concern would be the potential for a refund should it not be exactly as advertised in some way.

1 Like

Does that include import duties and vat?

Would hate to get stung for an item of that value.

1 Like

Um… it’s a repair return officer?

1 Like

Yeah VAT will add another $1200 to the price

Found this interesting comparison article the other day which was interesting

Glenn, I know we haven’t spoken but the guidance I got from ired was that one of the most important considerations for the thermal camera is the resolution. The DJI dual , and many other duals Cameras, the resolution is 160. They advised that this is sufficient to see heat of an animal / person but not to actually distinguish what is was. So good for emergency services wanting to detect were people might be and go and investigate, but no more.

When I explained about counting deer in woods, they said you would be able to detect heat, but unless very close you would not be able to identify what animal it was if there was one or more from the image.

They said to do this you would need a resolution of 640, which obviously are much more expensive such as the XT premium.

They did say that that could build you a complete drone platform with a FLIR 640 resolution camera for the price of a XT premium camera alone?

1 Like

Cheers Brian!

I actually think the Mavic Dual would allow me to COUNT deer for a reasonable price. But as you say, little more than that.

I was put off the XT1 as I thought you were wedded to the inspire, but actually it’s compatible with Matrice via an adaptor so a new UK XT1 Seems ok now on a cheap inspire 1 for now!

Import VAT I can claim back but I’d like the warentee on such a pricey camera!

I might now look at the XT on inspire as could reuse later on a matrice.

Cheers all!

1 Like

Heliguy did a good comparison too:

3 Likes

But not the Import Duty … if it gets done.

1 Like

It is interesting to compare the difference between 160 and the 640. I thought you might be further away than 100ft, but if not then it looks as if you should be able to count well enough, and certainly tell the difference between deer and foxes.

1 Like

I’ve just bought an inspire 1, x3 and 3x batteries for £600 on facebay. Flies great! Chuffed! Just need an CT camera now!

3 Likes

Enjoy :+1:

1 Like

That’s a good buy Glenn
As Rich @PingSpike has recently posted, loads of cheap parts for Inspire 1 coming up for sale.
Will be interested to follow your upgrades

3 Likes

Thanks mate! It’s certainly a nimble bird! Come on @PingSpike educate me on your inspire revelations! Bigger batteries? Mods?

1 Like

Turns out it’s a v2 Inspire 1 too!!! Amazing!!!

2 Likes

Stop it :rofl:

I have managed to resist with all @PingSpike’s inspire posts but don’t know how much longer I can keep it up. :wink:

Cracking deal you got mate. Jealous

3 Likes

Psssst! The Breaking the speed limit Leader-board doesn’t have an Inspire 1 v 2.

Just 0.1 mph would get you on there. :wink:

1 Like

There are some proper bargains out there for this kind of kit lately.

Like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dji-inspire-1-V2-pro-black-edition-with-X5-camera-4-batteries-and-fast-charger-/333118324166

I put a cheeky bid on that little lot (I wasn’t the winner btw!) with the intention of bagging a cheap X5 camera then flipping the Inspire Black with my spare X3 camera :smiley:

Next time… :blush:

3 Likes

Ok so now I’m not sure if it’s a v2 or not. It’s got the improved props, but the x3 smaller gimble. Maybe somebody just upgraded the props!

Also flying tonight I had a cold battery warning (ignored it of course) and drone nearly dropped out the sky a few mins later!!! It was quite cold!

I guess I need to take battery temp seriously on inspire?

1 Like