Interesting NOTAMs / Flight Reports / temporary flight restriction zones

Ouija board?

Thereā€™s currently a 0-2000ft temporary NFZ around Great Yarmouth due to the fact that bomb disposal are doing their best to defuse a 250kg WW2 bomb which was dredged up from the harbour. Also conveniently sitting next to two gas mainsā€¦

More details here. Apologies for the over abundance of ads - hazard of local news websites Iā€™m afraidā€¦

This turned into a somewhat less controlled detonation! Thankfully no one seems to have been injured, but it seems to have rattled a few peoplesā€™ teeth out!

1 Like

Some video footage here:

1 Like

I was flying this afternoon, about 3:30 at the Clifton Backies in York, about 30 metres up. A notification appeared in the App about a ā€œMilitary restriction zoneā€. Nothing in Dronescene or in NATS Uk - nearest to York is the usual restriction at Strensall - to not go straying in the firing range. I was nowhere near that. There is in weekdays a lot of Military overflight activity out of Dishforth, whether they are training Saudi pilots or Swiss pilots, or whoever is the paying client of the moment, but they never fly low over the City of York. About 15 minutes after the notification appeared a military helicopter flew over the Backies, about 1500 feet up. Wondering if the transient restriction was because of that.

Thatā€™s my default flying zone and restriction messages like that have not otherwise popped up.

Has anyone noticed the notam for almost the entire length of the Northumberland coast for a beyond vlos flight. Does anyone know what that is about?

Moved it here @BarryH with the other Notam :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Always useful to provide a Drone Scene link ā€¦ and, perhaps, a screenshot.

1 Like

Believe it is testing the transportation of goods between the three hospitals which are on the ends of the bits going inland.

2 Likes

I wondered if it might be that ā€¦. I saw a similar thing in Coventry some months ago, and that was for hospital transport

This must be Nicola Bulleyā€™s funeral :frowning:

Looks that way.
That said i find it a little disconcerting the police can introduce a drone only NFZ on a whim here with very little justification.
It does look like they issue more of them and for less justification more and more as time goes on.

1 Like

Can we keep on topic, please?

Thanks! :+1:

(Off-topic posts will be removed.)

Just had a notification from the CAA land in my inbox that a temporary restricted area is being put in place around Portsmouth Dockyard from 3rd April until the end of the year. Surprised it hasnā€™t been in place before now to be fair!

Was just about to post that one.

April 3 to Dec 31st. My suspicion is that during that time itā€™ll be made permanent.

Also wonder if its related to HMSPoW which is due there around that time for ā€œplanned maintenanceā€. Although i guess not - its too big for there.

Agreed - I would have thought something like an active naval base would have a permanent NFZ

Devonport and Faslane have permanent restricted airspace on account of the nuclear assets there. I guess theyā€™re just looking to bring Portsmouth into line with the other major bases. Always struck me as a bit odd to be honestā€¦

Yet to be updated by Altitude Angel.

1 Like

I totally agreeā€¦ All HMNBā€™s should be NFZā€™s.

Or FRZā€™s ?

1 Like