Is it possible to post RAW images?

Just wondering if its possible to post RAW images on the site?

Not such that they’re viewable - they are just an uploaded file that can be downloaded by anyone.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Hmmmm thats interesting thanks :blush: I was just thinking of an idea for a photo editing thread in the wake of the RTF comp being put on hold.

3 Likes

That’s a great idea!

Ned

2 Likes

Thanks Ned :blush: was thinking say once a week someone uploads a RAW image that everyone can download and edit to repost. Then maybe have a friendly vote on favourites? Could even upload say an over exposed image for example and see how well people manage to bring back details, colours etc?

4 Likes

There is this one already : PhotoShops/Lightroom - Befores & Afters

3 Likes

Aye, but I think @SirGunner is onto something here.

It would be great to see what others do with your RAW.

Ned

1 Like

Yeah thats a great thread but this way everyone will be working with the same original image file?

1 Like

As I say - the file will upload (if one of those extensions … .dng, for example) but it won’t display the actual image.
A jpg of the image can be uploaded as well - with zero processing of the RAW - as an indication as to what the RAW looks like.

2 Likes

One other “issue” with RAW … they tend to be effing large, and server storage space costs money.

Could post links to a Dropbox version … to be kind to servers?

2 Likes

Cool!

Personally, I think entrants should be able to ‘edit the shit’ out of the RAW i.e. no holds barred.

Ned

1 Like

With the winner explaining what they did so we can all learn something… well, me at least!

2 Likes

If its too similar an idea to the previous thread I can check with @McSteamy2010 to see if we could integrate the idea into his current thread?

1 Like

Do it mate, would be a great idea :+1:

2 Likes

If a RAW was uploaded to a thread can it be deleted from the server after people have downloaded it? Say the week after? Then there would only be one RAW image on the server at any point?

I guess it could, but it’s extra admin for someone. I like the Dropbox idea… which would let those who join in the future be able to play about with RAW resources.

Ned

1 Like

This is exactly what I was thinking Ned. People can edit as much or as little as they like and then give a short explanation of what they did to get the effects they came up with.

There is a tidy up each night that deletes images from the server that are no longer referenced … but if someone else references it, even in a DM, then it’s not deleted.

The file size limit (50mb) starts to come into effect, too. My DSLR whacks out 125mb RAWs! (… in high res mode).

1 Like

Wow thats massive! Just had a quick look at mine and they seem to be around 20-25mb