Ladybower Reservoir - Added to Lakes and Reservoirs in East Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene - Location # 553

Land owner permission not required.

Park on the A6013 north of Yorkshire Bridge Inn, or at Heatherdene Car Park nearby.

Marker pin placed on a Public Right of Way, note that off the PROW there may be no permission from private landowners to take-off/land (reservoir is owned by Severn Trent Water).

Popular spot with walkers and cyclists so keep off the path and avoid busy times of day.

The originator declared that this location was not in a flight restriction zone at the time of being flown. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying the same location.

10 Likes

I love that photo @kvetner :clap:t2:

1 Like

There should be some nice video of the same to follow later.

Video now up.

I have completed a visual essay and book of the drought conditions in 2018 on the Holden/Ladybower reservoirs.
I did obtain permission from Severn Trent and am rather surprised that you were informed permission was not needed flying over a populated area on the Bridge.
Nice Image though and it’s a big hole to drop into

The path is a Public Right of Way, where anyone has a legal right to stop and take photos so long as they don’t obstruct the path. No legal permission is required to fly over Severn Trent property, and I kept the required legal distance from people at all time.

4 Likes

Permission is needed from Severn Trent
Severn Trent have had a lot of complaints of authorised UAV activity on and above the walkway making images of the overflow pipe.
I had obtain permission to make all my images over Ladybower and Holden reservoirs as without it my Insurance would have useless in the event of an accident.
They are very helpful and can give you valuable pre-flight advise

1 Like

Until they say no.

2 Likes

They can complain all they like. The place where I filmed from is a Public Right of Way, anyone can pass along it, stop for a while, and take pictures. Legally, you can stop for a picnic, if you like. The right to fly a drone from a PROW is untested in court, but I have no issues and won’t be requesting permission when I go back.

Severn Trent can prevent you from filming from the walkway on the crest of the dam, that’s not a PROW, but I really struggle to believe they have any legal basis to suggest permission is required to fly from the PROW.

For legal background, see DPP v Jones 1999, 3rd paragraph on that page is the key one.

3 Likes

I suggest you Contact Severn Trent for clarification, but please do be aware we all have a duty to preserve the reputation of all responsible UAV operators

No need if flying from a public right of way, otherwise where does it all end ?

5 Likes

:+1: Quiet right, Severn Trent can keep throwing their toys out the pram, but the bottom line is they do not own the air space above the reservoir.

4 Likes

Beware if flying here that it’s a route used by the RAF for low level flying - notifying them the night before - on 0800 515 544** or email Swk-lfofdrones@mod.gov.uk works well. I dis this and got a call from the leader of a pair of Hawks who were coming down here at low level just after the time I was planning to fly. This also applies to the Derwent valley Howden and Derwent dams.

I want to fly here @kvetner, have you got any tips or advice on where to park or take off from?

I’ve flown here too @kvetner :grin:

I’ve flown here too @kvetner :grin:

I want to fly here @kvetner, have you got any tips or advice on where to park?

Weather permitting I’m of here tomorrow for a little blast around . Try and get some long exposure shots of the overflow spouts

1 Like

I want to fly here @kvetner, have you got any tips or advice on where to take off from?

1 Like