Legal or not?

Beautiful Naz. Lovely light conditions. Do you remember where you took off from?

Can not remember where I took off from I will have a look into it and get back to you?

Well they all will be dead when they end up on a plate! on the whole I think the fish welfare will be pretty good because that’s their money
Well as much as a farmed fish can be

Sadly not so. If you look into it, many will be eaten alive by lice, gill disease and chemical loading. The mortality figures are quite staggering, as much as 50% in some farms. It’s not even healthy food, full of fat. the worst thing is it is killing off the wild fish stocks. I’ll get off my soapbox now and shut up. :grinning:

4 Likes

I’d be interested, if you can find out. Cheers

1 Like

No you go ahead educate people

1 Like

OK, one more. The last paragraph is gruesome.

Interesting stuff,
to many people on this planet !

1 Like

How odd. I saw a tweet from Wiltshire police drone division, and they tweeted they had been monitoring social media and saw a post from someone saying they were intending to fly over a certain building. They tweeted that they ‘educated’ the individual about not going within 150m of any building and reproduced the same diagram. I can’t find it now, maybe it has been deleted!!!

This one Brian?

1 Like

It’s a “Built Up Area”, not any building. I wonder if they omitted the Built Up Area bit and thought that it referred to “any building”.

3 Likes

Oh dear, I accidentally deleted the video in Vimeo so the link in the first post doesn’t work. Sorry about that but thank you for all the comments. Here’s the latest version -

https://vimeo.com/439329377/9a8ac2933d

1 Like

First post edited - video link replaced.

1 Like

I went down the rabbit hole on what’s “legal” - posted some thoughts here → Shaking like a leaf - #54 by Phoenix76

Just my half arsed attempt to understand… reading CAP docs gives the detail but there’s a lot of information.

Thanks Dean, some useful reading. the two important numbers are 50m and 150m. In my case it is only the 50m one that applies and the closest I got was 179’ so that should be fine.

Excellent video @ash2020 and thanks for sharing.

Re legality the 50m requirement is only one clause in the ANO and there remains an overriding requirement that the flight must be made safely. In the new regs the CAA are moving towards having an opinion on whether direct overflight is safe - they talk about the 45° rule, which I don’t think is in any current guidance. None of that will matter until someone’s drone falls out of the sky and they actually get prosecuted though. I think what you are showing is fine!

1 Like

Thanks @kvetner. The problem is, we have been annoying these companies rather a lot and they would be just itching for a reason for legal action. They have unlimited funds too! I would be interested to know what can be sought in a civil action. The criminal liability is clear from the drone code and I think I’m fine on that.

I think the civil actions are for trespass (do they own the ‘land’?), for breach of privacy (seems unlikely), or for nuisance (again, do they own the ‘land’?). There may be others. For details of nuisance torts, see Nuisance in English law - Wikipedia as a starting point.

I would not take any advice given freely by an amateur on an internet forum as being sound legal advice, obviously!

That’s how I understand it.

The bit that i don’t think was clear was “built up” and “congested”. Beaches and parks attached built up areas are also mentioned. Reading the ANO and CAP give the detail, but the “drone code” definition of built up has better detail now on the website that isn’t included in the posters and pdf.

1 Like

Absolutely. Fully in agreement with that. It’s discussion that prompts research, which ultimately leads to firming up of your own opinions, so valuable for that reason.
I can’t see that “nuisance” would be a factor. they were not aware of the drone’s presence and the fish had far more nuisance going on. My main worry is that, although I was 54 metres altitude that would have been from a takeoff point of about 2 metres above sea level and the boat is clearly quite big. I don’t know if they could be nitpicky and start a civil action based on a breach of the Drone Code.
I wish I was a bit braver!