Litchi chit-chat ... What's Litchi? Should I use Litchi?

This is only MY opinion.

As a new Litchi user, this video is the single best introduction to the app that I have found. He’s an Aussie, so has a sense of humor, explains all the settings and then runs through a mission identifying what the drone has been told to do at each point and demonstrating that in the mission. This one impressed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5-IgA8ayPo

This one is a little more irritating because of the bizarre overuse of sound effects, but it is a good intro on how to import a mission into Litchi Virtual Mission and then test fly it in Google Earth.

If you’re logged into your account - whether you created them in the app or Mission Hub there’s no “importing” to do … they are in your list of missions.

A quick question about Google Earth Pro, if I may.

While I have been importing my missions (I am not getting it to work as described above) into Google Earth Pro (GEP) I notice that I only seem to get one opportunity to use the “import” option. It’s there when I start GEP but then goes greyed out. I have tried selecting and deselecting missions, selecting from “My Places” and then “Temporary Places”, but after it is used the first time the option remains greyed out. I only get it back by restarting GEP - which gets really irksome.

Has anyone else seem this or can you explain what I am doing wrong (making that assumption)?

:weary:

That’s because it’s an old enough video to be a previous version of VLM.

As above …

I have been trying to find out if you can edit a waypoint mission after it has been created to add an additional waypoint between two existing waypoints.

I have tried (In Mission Planner) holding Shift, Ctrl, Alt, left clicking, right clicking and on my device I have unlocked the mission and tried editing there.

None of this works. So is that right that once the mission has been created you can not go back and add intermediate waypoints?

Click on the WP before where you want to add another WP, and click on “Insert” in the WP edit box.

1 Like

Outstanding, I would not have thought to try that. Thanks very much again @OzoneVibe :saluting_face:

1 Like

It only adds a WP (with default parameters) immediately half way between the one you add to, and the one after … both in distance and in mission height.
If using ground heights in the mission, it totally ignores this. You’ll need to check/amend … as with other WP parameters, too, obviously.

I just tried this and it does exactly what I wanted it to. :grin:

Just back from testing my latest three Litchi Missions. They were all absolutely fine, though I have my suspicions about (remember that for now I have most of the “speech” features turned on) height. But at less than a week with this app I am in no doubt as to where any misunderstanding may lie :thinking:

I’m going to go back and look at the AppData logs because I want to find the easiest way of capturing a location while in flight. I record my flights with the included subtitles and they tend to tell me the coordinates, I will just have to test whether they are accurate.

Maven (there I go again) has a feature where you can record a manual flight for later conversion into a mission. I will see if there’s anything like that.

On the whole I am pretty impressed. Litchi is so much easier to use than Maven because of the Mission Hub, but it seems to lack a few features that made Maven a good app.

There’s always the .csv download from your AirData logs that can give you the same (perhaps more frequent?) data … and is in a form I find more easy to use than what are, fundamentally, “sub-title” files.

Well - you can - but maybe not as you would prefer.

Remember - Litchi Missions are driven by waypoints … even the curves and headings and camera angles. (Actually - the fact that the WPs drive things is a restriction of the DJI API.)

So - you can fly to where you want the various waypoints to be - adjust your heading and camera angle - and click on the “Save WP” icon, and at the end of the flight you can save those as a mission.

You can the load such a mission into Mission Hub / VML for further tweaking,

Before anyone takes offense, this isn’t a gang symbol :sunglasses:

It’s a very close match to the mission plot.

The Airdata Logs

The Mission Plot

I think my Cerne Giant flight was more artistic. :wink:

1 Like

D’yah know, I have been thinking about (not in a weird way). I was VERY tempted to reproduce something like that in a mission plan, but worried that you might take it the wrong way (I could have been suggesting something derogatory) LOL!

I think there is a GADC competition theme in here somewhere, “most artistic Litchi mission” or something like that :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

As it happens, this is as close as I got to something similar in a Litchi mission (so far).

Mission-Circles

But technically, I was testing manual orbits in the mission planner.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen an issue with accuracy of the RTH process in Litchi?

When I fly using either the GO4 or Fly app, the landing (using RTH) is pretty accurate (usually to within 12 inches). If I then use the RTH function in the Litchi app it seems way off, but at least a couple of feet.

Has anyone else noticed this?

On which drone @B0M0A0K ?

Is “Precision Landing” performed by the GO4 / Fly app, rather than the drone? And therefore not possible with third party apps in general? :thinking:

I don’t actually know :man_shrugging:t2:

An easy test would be to fly with GO/Fly then just kill the app and press RTH on the controller to see how it lands.

Or …

… RC.

See what the drone does without any external input.

Looks like it is done by the app because Litchi had to add support for it to their app.

Scanning their historic release notes shows they’ve added “precision landing” at various points for various drones:

July 2017 Updates

iOS: Litchi for DJI Drones

Version 1.17.2 (Jul 17, 2017)

• added Precision landing and Landing protection settings for Phantom 4
  • added support for polygon shaped no fly zones (for china)
  • misc improvements and bug fixes

Source: https://flylitchi.com/new