Lost my drone during a speed attempt

Just a thought that came to me in a dream last night (sad I know but I hope I’m not the only one that has drone dreams) and not one that I think was mentioned in this thread but the Mini 2 has a find my drone feature.

So if your Mini 2 does fly away in the wind, or gets in any trouble and still has some battery left, if you go in to settings, safety and scroll up to Find My Drone, it will show it’s position on a map, and you can also select a button to make it flash and beep.

It does of course rely on accurate GPS position, which in @clinkadink case had some potentially odd data, and it was super windy so you might not hear the drone unless you were right upon it, but I did wonder if you tried that whilst you were there looking. Having read the thread and seen the awesome video I don’t think you did, so I wondered if you knew that feature was there or not. No doubt you do, but I thought I’d mention it for others who might not recall it being there in case they lost their drones in any fashion.

Cheers

Andy.

If the drone has no connection and/or GPS signal, Find My Drone will only provide the last known GPS location (which we know already). I manage to reconnect to the drone about 5 times, but literally for 1 or 2 seconds. Certainly not enough to make use of this feature. Good shout though! :+1:

Ah dang, I must have missed that…and I did assume that the short reconnects wouldn’t work with the feature but I had hoped that it would hold the find my drone position on the map if it wasn’t connected, that would be useful for some, seems that’s not the case either.

Yeah. I did try it, as the button was displayed in the bottom right of the RC screen. But it just showed the disconnect location.

For what its worth. An Infra red LED and a small battery. Led is 1.5v 20mA. two on drone, top and bottom. A very small 3.7v LiPo battery with a fair mA rating available. .Use a pair of Binos with IR capability to spot IR light. Small reflectors available (12mm diameter bowl) to accept a 5mm Led and give a better light viz spread…
:thinking:. worth a try I suppose?..

1 Like

I already had Strobon Crees fitted though, which were on during the flight. To date, they served me well. Just had my replacements come through (using the GADC discount, of course).

1 Like

The replacement battery just arrived too :clap: Now have 4, tidy darts :+1:

1 Like

<Checks forecasts for high winds.>

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Here we go again … :+1: :+1: :+1:

5 if Mini finds Mini.

I wonder if that would trigger anything with DJI, as each battery has it’s own serial number, that serial number is logged on the flight data. Would DJI not only block the replaced Mini2 but also the battery that was onboard at the time of loss :thinking: ?

Tim

1 Like

Perhaps, but doubt they would go to that level. Certainly block the drone, but surely not a battery. Furthermore, the duff battery that they originally sent me is now working. So it’s fair to say they haven’t blocked this battery, despite replacing it with the one received today :wink:

2 Likes

It’s donned the new livery, M2 V3 is now dayglow orange. Not my cup of tea, but serves its purpose I guess. I took it out for a spin at the last known resting place of its older sibling :cry:

I used the duff battery, it flew as expected and landed at 6% remaining, without issue.

Took a couple of sneaky Golden Hour shots too …

:point_down::laughing::+1:

16 Likes

I never thought I’d see those fields again…

Lovely photos once again!

I like the orange. How was it when flying? Any more visible? I appreciate the colour is mainly for on the ground searches but I’d like to think you could see it more against the blue sky too.

1 Like

LOL - those fields are ingrained on my brain - and knees :joy:

Thanks mate. I arrived just before sun down, so it was an ideal opportunity for some rays :heart_eyes:

Yes, definitely easier to see in the sky too. Which is a bonus. Tested it today, in dazzling sunny conditions, really does show up well. In hindsight, I should have done this long ago :+1:

4 Likes

Here is the new Mini 2 ‘Tango Edition’ with a pair of red and white Strobon Crees and a VIFLY Beacon.

I used 29mm clear heat shrink to mount the white cree and beacon on front legs.

The rear red cree is affixed with a 15mm 3M Dual Lock Circle Dot.

With the new wrap, 2 x crees, 1 x beacon, plus heat shrink, the total weight is 259g.

Below is a 20 second video showing it in action, although the audio does it no justice. That beeper is bloody loud :deaf_man::loud_sound::confounded:

More info on the VIFLY Beacon here, I bought mine from here for £15.80 inc next day delivery. The Strobon Crees I got from Flyton for £15.36 (each) delivered, using the GADC discount code: GREYARROWS

8 Likes

And I assume you’ll pretend you never weighed it :laughing::laughing::smile:

1 Like

I’ve never seen a policeman walking around with a set of scales.

The chances of it being all in one piece after “an incident”, and still being at its take-off weight, is seriously remote.

Let’s face it - nobody can prove what @clinkadink’s last Mini2 weighed. :man_shrugging: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Wherever it is, I am sure it weighs a lot less now :confounded:

1 Like

With all that mud it may have picked up - if it’s like my boots it now weighs 2.5 tonnes!