Manchester Ship Canal

Must. Stop. HDR.

20 Likes

Where was this @kvetner?

I mean, it’s a long canal :slight_smile:

Near the Trafford Centre, the indoor ski slope is visible on the left, along with a lot of empty car parks.

Inside the Barton FRZ, flown with their permission.

2 Likes

Is that the old Chillfactore place on the left, by the M60?

1 Like

Ah, thought I recognise it when I zoomed in :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hardly saw another soul.

One day someone will ride a bike down that towpath from Runcorn to Manchester with a drone on active track - I reckon it would be a belter !! Soon as lockdown is over here in Wales I will get my passport and go and get the drone up over Latchford Locks stretch of the ship canal as it has it all - Victorian bridges, disused railway bridges and all sorts of Industrial wreckage on either side.
Fine work @kvetner :+1: - and yes, HDR can get a bit addictive lol

2 Likes

Nice, Thought it was just east of Barton, flew out of there many times in the late 70’s / early 80’s. Strangely enough - a LOT seems to have changed in 40 years!

Such a nice pic I’ve downloaded it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Superb picture.

1 Like

Original image for comparison:

1 Like

:grimacing:

1 Like

Goes to show what you can rescue from the murk.

Snapseed (30 seconds ‘work’)

3 Likes

Indeed! I was trying to find a happy medium, not always easy with these.

1 Like

If in doubt HDR the shit out of it :wink:

5 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: My philosophy too, THEN I reach for the sunglasses before re-opening Lightroom and getting sensible again before by brain melts. Damn good photo tho in fairness, I know this area well, and the HDR does indeed capture its industrial past - now long gone sadly.

2 Likes

Don’t forget when lockdown is over Barton (or whatever it’s called today) will still be a working airfield Boothstown Irlam Trafford Park and Eccles are all in the controlled airspace and that does not include the three runway end extension
At the moment the military and police are using the area for training
Living and flying just outside the NFZ I have noted aircraft regularly flying under 500ft on approach to the airfield
If you fly this area fly with extreme caution
Regards
Michael

3 Likes

During the daytime there are also still some flights from the training schools to keep their engines well maintained. In the evening, when I flew, there is much less activity. I’ve found the aerodrome to be very helpful in letting me know what’s going on, who else to inform etc.

2 Likes

I in no way was trying to say you should not have been flying in that area you clearly stated that you had informed Barton and the flight had permission.
Before moving the Cessna to a different field I also found Barton to be very helpful to anyone who contacted them.
The objective of the post was just to inform anyone that is unaware of the area restrictions and that MAN overlaps. As I’m sure you are aware there is only a very limited area to fly along the Ship canal due to the proximity of MAN and LPL controlled airspace.
Just to confirm no offence meant
Regards
Michael

1 Like

None taken, didn’t take it that way, it was more to note that Barton are good with advice :grinning: The previous time they gave me permission, they advised clearly which hours it would be easy to get permission, but also a phone number to keep the police informed. I also put up NATS notifications via the Drone Assist app, but I don’t know how many potential pilots actually pay attention to that. I had a spotter with me this time as well - I’m not saying that’s necessary, but it’s always reassuring.

I often put my flying spots up on DroneScene for others to refer to, I’ve deliberately left this one off as there are risks even with permission, as you say, and there are issues with proximity to housing etc as well.

There’s pretty much nowhere around here which isn’t in Class D airspace (Manchester CTR), or it sometimes feels that way, but there’s a good few miles between the Barton and Manchester FRZ to play with. For this site, permission is only needed from Barton.

1 Like

Don’t be put off adding it, there are various tick boxes re permissions now and plenty of room to add some details :slight_smile: