Mavic 2 Pro - Off-centre gimbal (advice needed)

It points off to the left, on both of them. I haven’t adjusted the gimbal on the replacement (was the first test-flight after getting it back today) - also, still need to calibrate it, just to be sure - but did go back in to the settings once I realised this one was off too, just to check that the old settings weren’t still in the app screwing it up. Nope, they’re back to zero on the ‘new’ drone.

Bit loath to just adjust the gimbal and live with it, because I was already doing that before throwing >£200 (with labour and shipping) at DJI to fix it.

Exactly that, yes. Pan problem. But you can manually adjust that in the same settings as Rich as pointed to.

Uh-oh :frowning: That gives me a sinking feeling, given I’ve just handed over all that cash for DJI to ‘fix’ this.

1 Like

At one point I dismantled all my gimbal assembly to see if there was a way to physically correct the angle. There wasn’t anything that I could find to achieve that.
I know the gimbal recalibration has never achieved anything.

:thinking:

Curiously, I did replace my gimbal at one point (for a reason I can’t recall) … and I’m certain the offset was still there afterwards.

The only time it REALLY annoyed me was when I wanted to fly a circle around a POI … and I had to remember to set it up making an allowance.

This post is the video from when I first discovered the problem.

3 Likes

I might open up the one I removed and have a look in more detail. I might be more brave in my “poking about” when it’s not the one I want to use. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You’re making me worry that I’ve been conned by DJI on this ‘repair’. I’ll get it calibrated tomorrow and do another test flight once the thunderstorms have passed. If it’s still squint I might need to get some of that money back.

2 Likes

I’ll double check if mine is still off at an angle.

2 Likes

Only a few miles away from me …

That’s the one - will be with me about noon tomorrow.

Hi I spoke too drone doctor about the same problem that being 2 degrees off centre ( MA2 ) , which I know is no where off like yours , they told me that dji set the gimbal to be 1 to 2 degrees max off centre at factory , there actual words was , I don’t know why they do it and that’s how they are and they did not no or have an explanation as to why they do this :man_shrugging:t2: Just in case you didn’t know this , Sorry if that’s no help hope you get it sorted :+1:t2:

1 Like

So, I wonder if I’m misjudging how off-centre the replacement is and it’s not as bad as the old one, just not straight. That would be something, I guess. At least I won’t feel so ripped off. :+1:

1 Like

I noticed mine when I was looking at it one day head on , when I was toggling with the controller to recenter gimbal it came up 2% degrees off too the right , so I double tapped to centre it again then 1% degrees off , so I calibrated the gimbal and it was still off :point_up_2:t2: , I then did it manually and got it to 0% degrees or centre , so I double tapped toggled again kept going off degrees again , I did have a screen recording of it but I’ve deleted it a while ago after drone doctors put me out my misery and told me this is normal , factory default or whatever , at the time I was not a member of GADC but used to scour another website , I see many stories of gimbal being off centre , I do get things a little wrong sometimes as I’m still learning but this that I have just said is 101% accurate , the only thing I will say is that I was told a couple of degrees and reading your post it’s a bit more , I know all the guys on here know there stuff 100% but if you cant find an answer sooner maybe to put your mind at rest a bit put it in on google or YT you might find out a bit more there too , I know what your saying tho I’ve got bad ocd and things do my head in :cold_face: , have a look see what you come up with it is out there ( the gimbal off centre ) thing good luck all the best :+1:t2:

2 Likes

This has been covered before

1 Like

I think the guy is saying it’s off about 7 degrees wayne , would that be normal to your knowledge do you know

I would do an IMU cal, a compass cal and then a gimbal cal

Then see if it is still out and if so then try to manual cal to adjust it

if it’s only a few degrees 1 or 2 then it’s probably ok

Hmmm … only indoors and looking along the gap in the floorboards (in a room being renovated) … but that’s looking quite central / straight.

(That’s a screenshot of the image in PS - the vertical line being a PS guide dragged into position, so a perfect vertical relative to the image. :+1:)

Before even turning on the MP, I measured the distance between the front and rear legs and centred each pair on the gap in the floorboards. Then I realised the camera isn’t dead centre, and realigned the drone 0.5 cm to the right of centre to allow for that - keeping it square.

Turned the MP on, and all I then did was tilt the camera down slightly and took the pic.

Had I thought about it, I’d have used my rotary laser levels shining on the wall. I may do that, tomorrow. :wink:

But - it’s looking OK … but I will get out and fly a POI circle somewhere, as soon as I can (busy as eff, atm) and see if that’s now correct. I’m hopeful.

2 Likes

The plot thickens. Calibrated the gimbal (level surface) and it was then off centre in the opposite direction.

My (quick and dirty) equivalent of Dave’s floorboards:

Excuse the folds. In hindsight, folding it up and sticking it in the case with the M2P was probably not the best idea.

After calibration:

After then manually adjusting yaw on the gimbal:

It is less off (by at least half) than the one I sent to DJI for repair, so I’m starting to think you’ve all hit the nail on the head with this just being within the accepted margin for error with their calibration. Still, that is quite a margin for error - makes it (without manual adjustment) very difficult to get some video shots which should be fairly simple.

Maybe I’ll calibrate it repeatedly until I chance upon a dead-straight one :wink:

At least the camera is central to the body, on the M2P … so you didn’t have to move off centre. :+1:

The MP …

New floorboards. Some (most?) of the others would win the “dirty” challenge. :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you ever tried to do a POI Orbit?
TBF - it’s ages since I’ve bothered trying - because of the off-centre issue (and most times I took one was to play with the function more than achieve anything amazing/meaningful).

1 Like

Not since getting it back. One of the problems I’d noticed with manually adjusting the gimbal is whenever you try to use any of the quick shots, like the POI orbit, it seems to first ditch whatever gimbal adjustments you’ve made. Pain in the proverbial.

Hi mate after I posted what I did last night I tried to scour the net for a bit of a heads up for you , as I always say I’m no expert still learning lots but have came across bits here and there , many many people are on about this with pretty much every dji drone , some also say that they only know it’s off because the numbers tell you it’s off degrees right or left , ok , some others say that when the drone is all booted up they then go into manual mode and adjust it to the 0 degree and they have said that it’s all set and all good for good ( meaning onwards after ) , that I will half agree but just for that flight or while it’s still powered on ( from when you set it ) but what I disagree that some are saying is when you go to use the drone again it’s all still good as for me it was not , no matter how many times I re centred my gimbal after power off it went back to ( default let’s call it ) as I’ve had my drone powered up this morning I did check this , I was 2 degrees out to the right then 1 degree out to the right after keep checking it was different every time etc , so I think there’s always going to be a margin or tolerance within what ever dji does in house / factory , I hope this makes sense , one thing I will say and I can put my hand on and say this , when I experienced this the first time some months back now I kept moving it around the kitchen on tops surfaces and every work top or level gave me different degrees a couple of times I did get 0 pan 0 tilt so it was bang on but if you moved it to another level or side it would be different , so I then went back to we’re I got the two zeros and could not replicate it , hence why I called drone doctors and found out what I did , lastly on the net someone said try calibrating on an ( un even surface ) sounds cods to me but maybe worth a go , there theory behind it was something to do with the gimbal woks centres or tilts like dropping a plum and line from an angle it will still form a straight line :+1:t2:

1 Like

Well - POI Circles are still crap.

Beginning to wonder if my OLD firmware version has a glitch.

I might try NLD and the last version for the MP. At least via them I know I can go back to the one installed.

1 Like