My first crash...can it be caused by the cree lights?

No problem.

I’m no expert at this by any means but hopefully between us all we can try work out what went wrong.

All the helpfull data for an issue like this is stored in the .DAT file on mavic but DJI have encrypted it on the air and mavic 2.

I have always turned the drone on first, then after everything has settled down, lastly turn the crees on.
Not sure if that has any relevance, just a thought.

Going by the log it’s probably rotating at a nausea inducing rate.

Fear not, we can slow the video playback speed down to catch the strobe flashes too.

And to prevent you being sick :smiley:

1 Like

:+1:

I copied the link to the airdata file as the MP2 is encrypted. It’s the best I can do, but it shows very little other than it went walkabout without any input. As Sherlock Holmes says. When you eliminate the impossible and the improbable, all you have left with is the truth.
In the meantime I’m repositioning the crees out of the way…Just in case

1 Like

I hadn’t set the camera to record, I saw the cree flashes on screen, and before I had chance to land to turn them off…off she toddled on her own adventure

1 Like

On the plus side, the hyperlapse is a cool feature. I’ll post a link soon. It’s only a short hyperlapse, and my very first.

1 Like

Yeah I really like it.

Did a short one myself. You don’t realise just how long you need to leave it up there and I got a little impatient.

That’s true, it was up there for 4 mins for 5 SECONDS of hyperlapse, here’s a link.

1 Like

On a different note.
I’ve used the magnetic charging cable with the remote for the very first time. I’m really impressed, I don’t have to keep removing the cable from the micro USB port now with the risk of snapping off the ‘tab’ inside the port. The best £5.95 (incl first class post) I’ve spent in a long time. I’ll post pics later

1 Like

Was that being used at the time of your crash to connect you phone/tablet?.
Just wondering, as I have got 2 of them magnetic connectors, but, do not trust them to connect to the remote, just in case I knock it of while flying.
Would be an interesting experiment to try, to see what results.

No. I use the large bottom usb connector for the iPhone/tablet. I only use the side usb for charging the remote, to save wear and tear on that fragile ‘tab’ inside the micro usb slot. Now I can use the magnetic cable exclusively for the controller. Amazing, cheap but simple bit of kit to have.
I don’t think it would affect flying if you lost connection with your tablet or phone. You’d be ‘blind’ in that you’d not have any video or map data to see where the drone was pointing, but by looking at the remote, it would be possible to see the distance count up or down if you were out of VLOS…(if you didn’t initiate RTH on the controller) That way you’d be able to fly back to visual and fly in from that point.

Not sure if it applies to the Mavic 2, but, on the Mavic Pro, you cannot use the bottom USB Connector, if something is plugged into the side port.
It maybe that because the Magnetic Connector is not electrically connected that it has no bearing on the side port, only when the lead is connected.
Just throwing it out there !

I’ve read the data wrong.

It held a steady heading up to 43s in to the flight and looks like it hit the fence and compass heading went crazy at around 50s.

Could the spinning be because of the loss of the prop, after it impacted with the post?

1 Like

That’s correct. I did wonder myself before ordering, but I found It’s because the side usb isn’t connected, even though the magnetic adapter is plugged in, it doesn’t have any effect on the bottom USB.
A great little bit of kit. I’ve ordered another for a few other bits of stuff I need to charge. You can buy either just a cable (if you need another) or a cable with iPad (lightning connector) or cable with micro usb, or both or all three or even more combinations to suit whatever you require. They are very good quality and work superbly

Probably could be that yes.

It hit the post and lost the prop almost the second it touched down and was almost at a stop, barely a few inches off the ground. It did spin on the ground and ended upside down.
If you look at the green line of flight, in the screen shot you can see it is not linear, it has a few ‘kinks’ in it as if it suddenly changed course, at evenly spaced intervals, that’s what leads me to think it’s the cree flashes that caused it.

I just measured those lines and sure enough, they’re all identical in length, as is the degree of rotation on each change.

Plus, the drone turns the same direction every single time, which suggests it was reacting to one of the strobes, and not both ?

Brian, any chance the positioning of the strobes saw one placed nearer to a sensor than the other one?

1 Like