Nalin's 5" FPV Quad thread šŸ˜Š

Thanks Steve. Donā€™t worry Please see below.
I just tested it using a multi meter and itā€™s reporting 14V + ! So obviously the battery status function in the charger is spitting out nonsense! This is for both your one and the new one.
I will check individual cells once I get my head round it. Just imagine it shows the capacity at 2%? There is something wrong with that function of the charger at this point and I am not going to trust that charger any more (to charge either) as you can imagine.

I will have to find a suitable power supply and use the charger I got off you. Thanks for the offer but I donā€™t want to unnecessarily trouble you at this stage.

I posted the issue mainly to get help / advice and a bit of hair splitting at my end as I still havenā€™t been able to do much with it!
But we will get there.

This lead will clip onto a 12v car batery and work well :+1:

I will pull out my Astro car battery. Itā€™s a pain to lug but needs must! Thanks a lot.

All, Mustered up the courage to use the multimeter on the LIPO and each cell shows 3.68 or thereabouts!

So the Charger is dishing out porkies. Havenā€™t heard back from Yourfpv.co.uk yet. So no real issues with the battery. As @SirGunner surmised itā€™s the charger. So given that itā€™s thinking one cell is quite low, you canā€™t depend on it to charge the battery accurately. Can you?

For the record itā€™s HTRC C240 Duo.

OK. Identified the issue. Itā€™s the board with a bout five white connectors going back to the charger. That is faulty. The C240 being a duo had two of them for the two charging ports. One of them works. I measure the voltage coming out of both boards per cell and realised one board doesnā€™t report on the first cell.

So there you go.

Once the working one is connected the battery has 10% charge and each cell is at 3.684 / 74 / 83 etc.

Now its time to set the charging settings which I am not sure about. But hopefully I will be told what to do here!
Thanks everyone for bearing up with this.

This is all the fun of diy building. Keeps you busy :grin:

1 Like

Batteries are finally fully charged! whew. Now in order to connect the FC / FPV to betaflight what does one do?

1. Ensure there are no props attached.
  2. Connect the battery using the D connector.
  3. Attach a USB cable to the FC / FPV and connect to PC with Betaflight.
  4. Do we need to connect the RC to the FPV at this stage? ( or not or unnecessary?)
  5. Planning to tone down the throttle a lot at first as per advice from @notveryprettyboy .
  6. Get used to betaflight interface and connections overall. I suppose saving the new config to the FC must be quite straightforward?
  7. Once you know you are connected from RC to FC and if the props are not attached one can arm it?
    Thatā€™s my next step.
  8. Then back to the SIM.

I would be grateful if someone can tell me if the above steps are correct please. Thanks.

Use a smoke stopper!!

1 Like

I was just watching JB telling the same thing! Thanks.

When you are in betaflight, go to the bottom tab called ā€˜cliā€™
Type in ā€˜diff allā€™
Copy all the lines into notepad and save it. This is your working backup config.

You canā€™t arm in betaflight. If you arm without props when not on betaflight, donā€™t do it for long as the motors will start gaining speed on their own.

Just have a good play with everything. Just make sure you save the above info first.

1 Like

No worries Iā€™ve got a config dumpšŸ‘

1 Like

So I have powered up the little toy. One blue light and at least six red lamps! Nothing went up in smoke! I have ordered a smokestopper but couldnā€™t wait.
Managed to get Betaflight to connect. Did the diff all and saved output. It made some quite rude shrill noises but they have stopped now but the red lights remain.

What next?

Iā€™d hope no smoke as karl and stevie have tested and flown it before!

Send it!!!

Heh seriously I guess get familiar with Betaflight config, learn how to lower youā€™re throttle input (I actually do it on the radio not in betaflight). Learn how to switch between angle and acro mode, and maybe a little hover in a field on angle mode to get started. Totally depends on how much time you have put in the sim. Did you check you got a video feed on the goggles, when itā€™s plugged in?

1 Like

Hi All,

Just found a bit of time after a long period of time to play with the FPV (it hasnā€™t got off the ground yet).

trying to get my head round something @notveryprettyboy suggested about reducing the throttle etc. Now I havenā€™t done this yet. What I noticed though is that when I arm the FPV the motors rotate at a very low speed and as soon as I increase the throttle stick (no props on), I can see the motor speed increase to a constant amount and no matter what I do (increase / decrease throttle), it seems to stay on that level.

Am I missing something here? I am expecting the throttle stick to slowly ramp up the throttle (motor speed) as I move the throttle stick up. Or am I getting this wrong?

Further betaflight seems to name the channels aux1 ā€“ auxn starting from channel 5. This confused the life out of me. Then on the transmitter there is a reference to Aux / channels which seem to mean something different.
I am trying to get my head round all of this things before I just put props on and arm it.

So if any of you can help please do.
Thanks.

Its normal if there are no props on

I have reduced the throttle scale to 60. Is there a safe way to tune this without putting props on? I just want to make sure I am not going to propel the FPV out of sight when I ramp up the throttle. Also how do I tune the roll / pitch / yaw? I know itā€™s the PID tuning screen / rate profile tab. Thanks.

The only real way of tuning is flying it and watching it. I wouldnā€™t try to tune it yet though. It takes a lot of experience. It should already be very much flyable.
Just bite the bullet and try. In a large field. If in trouble, disarm. Always know where that switch is.

1 Like

Many thanks.

TRUE !!!

Ahā€¦ but eventually you will need to learn not to hit disarm, even when losing videoā€¦ but that time is not yet.