National Trust Policy Correspondence

All “local authority” land is a no fly zone according to Selby Council

1 Like

I’m not following

1 Like

They have 14 full time employees on the books, I’m not sure they able to police that. They can’t even get the dog shit bins emptied regularly

3 Likes

Aaaahhhhaaaa hahahaha
Ace

:joy::joy::joy:

In an app like Altitude Angel it’s possible to view your GPS location in the app in real time and see directly whether you are inside or outside any applicable restriction or caution zones. Drone Scene is browser based so is not so user friendly in the field (and that shouldn’t be read as criticism, because it’s an excellent data source). The underlying data for the map overlays must have been sourced from somewhere and I would really like to see that.

Dronescene does that

All the info on where the data comes from is here

2 Likes

Sorry - where exactly? This from the website refers to NT land but does not give source of info or maps:

" Always Open:

• Approximately 114,000 hectares of National Trust land that the public has access to on foot only either by right (in the case of designated ‘Access Land’ under the Countryside Rights of Way (CRoW) Act 2000) or by permission from the National Trust. Rights over Access Land are limited by CRoW and may be further restricted or excluded due to particular land management reasons
  • National Trust do not permit drone operators to take off or land on their land
  • National Trust cannot prevent drone operators from flying over their land

Limited Access:

• Approximately 19,300 hectares of National Trust land where the public has limited access. This data shows areas where access is restricted for at least one of the following reasons:
    • The land is enclosed as part of a National Trust Estate
    • Access is restricted to a dense path network
    • There are specific reasons the land is not Always Open e.g. Safety concerns

For more infomation visit the National Trust FAQ."

The link to the NT website does not provide maps or underlying data. I am still looking for underlying source data.

1 Like
4 Likes

And if you download the data sets there is no information relating to exact map co-ordinates or references. It’s very frustrating trying to find anything reliable that could be used to definitively define where they’re land starts and finishes for any given property.

I too have sent in a FOI request to the NT but not being governed by the FOI regulations I’m 99% certain they won’t bother replying let alone passing on any information.

Good on you Phil. :smile:

Oh damn!! so that means that when I rode my bike into Clumber Park back in the 1960’s and also drove there in more recent times, I’ve been breaking the rules . . .
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for all the hard work you’re putting into this. :clap:

So, looking at the FoI answers, my council (Walsall) has no policies or byelaws as long as I’m flying within the realms of the law and CAA regs (always do, A2 CoC, Article 16, BMFA insurance, FPVUK Insurance, CAA registered with registration on all drones), whooopee!
Cannock Council, same!
Birmingham council can’t even get there flowchart right from beginning to end, says you can’t fly unless you’re a member of the registered clubs (BMFA or FPVUK not on the list), but then says that RC aircraft of any sort are not allowed anywhere. Strange though, they allow Free Flight aircraft, helicopters and multi rotors in all of their parks! Must find me a Free Flight Inspire from somewhere!
Going down the flowchart, after being told that you can’t fly UAVs anywhere, there is a box at the bottom that says you can’t fly RC helicopters but you can fly RC multirotors in some parks!
Confused? You will be!
And all of the B’ham information is out of date and not to the latest regs.

3 Likes

Damm - broke the rules twice this morning riding to and from Cannock Chase through Shugborough :blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

3 Likes

Three Hail Mary’s for you then!

Try this link https://nationaltrust.maps.arcgis.com/
It has the info you are looking for and includes how long NT had the land an who gave it to them

3 Likes

If you know your going to TOAL from public land but fly over one of their properties it may be worthwhile taking a little time on that site, putting in the map data and detail and printing off the boundaries of the site your visiting just in case a NT staff member approaches you.

In fact, I feel a little lockdown project coming on. Create colour PDF’s of their most popular sites and they can be pinned to this site for download by anyone planning a visit and those that aren’t there can be added to a list to be worked on. It is, after all, all open source material and free to re-produce.

Like this … Rayleigh Mount.pdf (309.3 KB)

If that doesn’t load it can also be done as a .jpeg but its more convaluted …

3 Likes

Nice map.
So just to clarify - if you want to be sure to stick to the rules - you shouldn’t take off from any of the coloured areas?

I think it’s just the orange Blue or Purple areas.

I agree and would also like to suggest that when an authority quotes GDPR then we should get back to them and ask which section they have concerns about. Rather that allow them to use it as an umbrella, if they have to quote section numbers etc. it could be interesting.

1 Like