ND Filters - Price Difference

Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a real difference between a pack of 6 ND filters for £21.99 and the PolarPro ones for £139?

Both of these I have seen on Amazon and take into account I am a complete newbie to photography, although I do understand you pay for what you get but is the extra £120ish really worth it?

Both packs include the same filters inc PL

Would appreciate your thoughts thanks
Neil

My personal opinion is no - particularly as you say “I am a complete newbie to photography”.

Unless you know why and when you need them - I’d personally suggest that it’s worth getting to a point there you’re familiar with the drone and finding that you need them before complicating your life further.

They are certainly not an essential thing to use.

Personally, since they’re not needed for stills (unless one’s getting really arty with intentional long exposures), and I tend to take more stills than video … and taking them off / putting them back on / taking them off again is an annoying fiddle that also means bringing the drone back each time (such a shame that DJI don’t impellent taking stills whilst recording video!) … I very rarely use them.

If I was into pro level video, rather than just recording video for personal enjoyment more than anything … I would use them in the appropriate conditions.

1 Like

cheers, I take your comments on board, I will mainly be shooting videos around canals and in the peak district so I might pick up the £20 ones just to have a play with. All The Gear No Idea :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Probably the best compromise. :+1:

2 Likes

15 posts were split to a new topic: Taking a photo while recording video

I believe PolarPro use a high end type glass with a very accurate layer of film that has to be almost perfectly uniform in thickness otherwise the coating will distort the image.

Hi Njoro,

I knew there would be a difference, although I didn’t know what it would be, but materials and manufacturing makes sense. I don’t think it’ll make a difference for what I’m taking photos/videos of.

I have both the cheapest and got a bargain on PolarPro off Ebay. I think I have noticed a difference but then again it might just be me on a blonde trip…:joy:

1 Like

There are some brands of ND filter that won’t pass the calibration tests either.

You’re blonde btw :blush: Sadly there’s no way you can take photos while recording video :confused:

IMHO, yes. The better ones (Freewell, polar pro) will be uniform in grade, won’t change/impact the colour of your image, have less refraction and be of a better build quality. For example, if you’re using polriased ones you need them to be easy to adjust and yet not rotate when the drone is flying. However, you do need to decide if all that is important. I’ve had the polar pro vivid series and thought they were awesome.

2 Likes

@Neil have you got the link please - I need to get some soonish and I’m looking around at my options

Cheers

Simon

@flames7607 Hi Simon, these are the ones I ordered

Neewer 6 Pieces Pro Lens Filter Kit for DJI Mavic Air Drone Quadcopter Includes: ND4, ND8, ND16, ND4/PL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL, Made of Multi Coated Waterproof Aluminum Alloy Frame Optical Glass(Gold) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C9RMGRT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_c9tLCb31SZMG7

Disclaimer - this isn’t my recommendation I have got them yet so if they are rubbish it’s not my fault :+1:t2:

Seriously though they sound alright for price to have a play with.

Cheers mate
S