Neighbour complaint

The reason for them visiting could be “Did get a request from one of them to get a photo of his area next time (which was done).” :wink:

Betteridge's law of headlines - Wikipedia :wink:

I’d be more worried that either the police went to lengths to find out where you live, or it was someone who knows who you are and knows where you live, otherwise how would they have a clue on how to locate you.

Facebook

1 Like

Its not hard to find an address from a facebook post that has my full name attached to it.
Quick check of voters register or similar (or DVLA) would have found that.

Abuse of police powers, hardly crime of the century.

Get that foi request in.

Cheers Dave of course it’s 3mm cos I can remember thinking to myself “I couldn’t bloody read that size text” when I read it in the caa info. Don’t know where I got 13 from

Do lead thieves not have access to Google Earth?

One of my favourite laws. One of my Facebook highlights is a comment by Ian Betteridge on my use of his law. Turns out he’s a friend of a friend. There’s also a Twitter account that retweets correct usage of the Law, which has picked up a couple of my uses.

1 Like

This is sadly what happened to a church in a village near Banbury during the pandemic. Maybe they used Google maps too!

That reminds me of the time Mike Godwin posted this one on Twitter :rofl:

1 Like

Another of my favourite laws - although much abused and misunderstood. Up there with Haaland’s Law (If he plays, he scores).

1 Like

They’ve been stealing lead from church and school buildings long before drones or Google earth.

Sending 1 guy up on a building that might have it at night just for a look to check did the job.

1 Like

Oh there’ll still be a record of it, there has to be. Most likely the officers update of “No offences, caller advised” will be it, but it’ll be there.

1 Like

Coming back to this thread after a few weeks … Chris, do you realise the police are obliged to record information on people they deal with for the ethics of it, as much as for their own purposes?

If you want to complain about how badly the police treated you at an incident, and they don’t record the fact that they have stopped you, spoken to you or whatever in the first place, then people would be screaming ‘Coverup!’. If they do record it, they get accused of abusing their powers.

You can’t have it both ways.

Not an issue for me.

They have it bad enough as it is, although a lot of it they bring on themselves (police that is)

Only need to watch many of the audit videos, or come spend a day with me trying to tease DPA forms out of your colleagues

I very much doubt they record the majority of interactions.

I recall two police coming to my front door during the night - guns were very visible.

They were looking for a former resident.

No apology for waking us up or speaking in a threatening manner.

Bet they didn’t record that. At the time I asked for an apology as one of the officers was verbally aggressive. Yet nothing came.

I did not appreciate being threatened with guns!

After this and other poor interactions - I’m afraid that I no longer assist any officer.

When they start responding to crime then the public might help in return.

2 Likes

My elderly father was pulled over for ‘looking at our patrol car’ as he passed it. I’m 99% sure that one wasn’t recorded.

Sorry, to clarify, were they carrying guns as in holstered/slung weapons, or were they pointing them at you? There’s a difference, to me at least, between carrying an item and threatening someone with it. I’d hazard a guess that the previous resident was the sort of person who might possibly need guns pointed at him to ensure his good behaviour, unpleasant but these people do exist. And ANY deployment of firearms officers, literally any time they get out of a car to speak to people other than going to McDonalds or getting out for a wee, is risk assessed beforehand, authorised and recorded. Seriously, they aren’t even allowed to get out and check the chassis number on a suspected stolen car, then leave and leave us lesser mortals to go and recover it. If they came to your door in the middle of the night with firearms, there was a good reason for it. Unfortunate for you I agree, but we can’t rely on armed scumbags to keep us up to date when they move address.

If you’ve had other unpleasant interactions with them, then I apologise on their behalf, the same as I will to anyone else, here or otherwise, but ultimately they’re there to try and put bad people away - if you decide to blanket not help any police officer because of the actions of individuals ( an act of stereotyping I’d be sacked for), then ultimately they get paid just the same, and your family, friends and neighbours suffer when those same bad people get to continue roaming the streets. Your call.

3 Likes

The Police are a valuable resource that we have in this country regardless of peoples opinion of them. However, with the amount of interactions that get recorded and put online these days I can see why many people have an issue with them as it’s often highlighting problems to large audiences. Whilst you may or may not agree with it, those people who go around as “auditors” are able to highlight these things well…sometimes.

In my family I have a retired detective chief inspector and an active police constable and I am always very interested to gain their perspective when I see those type of video’s pop up to see how they may have approached a situation differently, etc. Their response is typically officers unable/unwilling to de-escalate situations properly, particularly when they know the person they’re involved with is purposefully pulling on their strings.

My main gripe with the interactions I typically see is that the Police are well aware that the majority of the public don’t really understand their rights and use this to their advantage. The one example you see most frequently is asking people to identify themselves. The Police are smart enough to always use their implicit position of authority to make such requests under the guise of appearing as though the public are obligated to give it to them under any circumstance, i.e. blind obedience.

Either way, i’d have our Police force any day to those in the states!

2 Likes