New drone user - Portsmouth

Hi everryone I am new here and a new drone user, done my theory and want to be a good user looked at this site and thought it looked good.
Main question is I have a phantom 3 advanced an am looking at areas to fly safe with as little problems from walkers …I ride motorbikes so am already treated as a second class citizen so having a drone I guess adds to my lower ranking lol
I live in Portsmouth.any meets or people want to meet/help educate me a little ?

Thanks for reading.

3 Likes

Hi Daren / @daxer2000 , and welcome to GADC. :+1:

(I moved your post over to #introductions - and edited the title a little.)

Quite a few of our members also own a P3 … so you are amongst good company.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

(Hi from me - just near Southampton! :wave: :wave:)

Also, don’t forget to add yourself to that map :+1: : How to add yourself to the Members Map

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

Hi thanks for your help, I am practical not computer freindly but very people freindly lol
I will have a look bu any locations recomended for a newbie ???

1 Like

Specifically, they are not categorised as “newbie friendly”, or not. Just places people have flown in the past and added to the DroneScene map.

Somewhere with plenty of space and absence of obstacles is what you’ll find best.

Yea thought that as do not want to crash it, so looking forwards to using it cant wait, I am going to go milton common at say 7aam tomorrow have a wiz around get the hang of it…avoid humans that are not morning people lol.

2 Likes

Just looked at Milton Common on the map. I don’t know that area, myself, but looks ok. No FRZs or other flying restrictions flagged by NATS. :+1:

Think I may be a lucky boy here as live right on it…who knows this time tomorrow I may have figured how to take off as well !

2 Likes

Good luck!

I sometimes go down to Southsea … near the bandstand … and have flown out to Spitbank Fort a few times. All usually early in the morning to avoid those that might invent reasons i shouldn’t be there. Not had any problems … so far. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Let me know next time I will try and meet you there if ok, I am the kind that can watch and pick up and agreed early morning is possibly the best time to avoid certain, use to go off roading on legal byways and some encounters to remember ! same as a motorbike parked ain a car spot !

1 Like

:+1:

Welcome to the forum! Portsmouth and the surrounding area seem to be a drone member hotspot! If you’re brave, there is plenty of open water :smile:
I just got back from a 10k flight with my spotter and my mp2 chasing ships!

1 Like

10K that must be scary.

Hi Darren welcome to GADC

Thank you for your kind comment I look forwards to enjoying myself here, just been out and enjoyed flying.

1 Like

I never fail to defecate masonry when £1500 is 2 miles out over open water. But that’s where the big tankers are lol. If flying distances over water, have a buddy with a spotter scope and a live boat map :+1:

1 Like

Lol if it gos down do you swim !
Do you post footageat all ? be good to see it.
Went over the common this morning very cold !

1 Like

Wont fly that far again, as a new user too I thought I was following the drone code by maintaining vlos which at night can be very far with the mp2 lights. Just been told off for it by the guy from 3ic :neutral_face:

Why don’t they put the 500m advisory in the drone code? Seems like an almighty glaring omission.

New laws at end of month…crack down on fun !

Spoilsports! Boo!

Did 3 locations today…I am new !
1st Milton common…1 dog walker looked at me strangely.
2nd Racton monument…no one around ! 1 seagull did come and see what was going on though !
3rd Eastney beach…very mixed, started off at least 300 feet away so more than ample room away, tide out long beach, dog walkers by the shore, 50% looed up carried on the others did not even see it…probobly had iphones and facebook ! 1 women walking her dog came closer and seemed interested to watch and carried on playing with her dog, 1 man dog walker looked in disgust and held his hand to sheild his face of the sun as so he could look important and look at me whilst holding his mouth open…to cold for flys so wait until dinner !
2 cars stopped close to mine and were watching, the best one was a new driver 2 girls watched and seemed happy for at least 15 minutes so a mixed day but overall good results.
The seagulls seem to be very interested in drones ? anyone ever been attacked ?

2 Likes