New to drones!

Hi there I’m very new to drones just got my first drone it’s a eachine ex5 been looking for ages and couldn’t see the point in spending £300 + on my first ever drone hope I’ve made a decent choice !!!
Any hints and tips for getting started would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hi Colin - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

Have a look at this thread - using the search function will probably find many more to help you get some good ideas where to start. Afraid I can’t help you with Eachine EX5 but I’m sure someone will be along with some good advice :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

My missus bought me one of those a couple of Xmas’s ago (wish she’d asked what I really wanted). I hadn’t got the heart to tell her it’s rubbish. It didn’t fly, the control was non existent at best, battery life was minimal, everything was so flimsy etc, etc! It’s sitting on the top shelf in the back bedroom until I can give it a decent burial sometime. Basically, they’ve taken the shape/design of the Mavic, and made it as cheap as they can. Sorry mate, but you’ve no doubt heard the saying “you get what you pay for”, well it’s the same with drones.
Buy a second hand DJI drone (Spark, Mini 1, but not a Phantom 1 or 2,) and you’ll have a much better flying experience and you won’t get fed up and leave the hobby!
Ask anybody on here, we’ll tell you anything you want to know.
Once again, SORRY!

2 Likes

Yes we’ll unfortunately we’re not all got money to burn and I’ve bought what I can afford and see as ok for a first drone !!!

4 Likes

Morning Colin
You don’t need to pay a lot to get a “good” drone, Sparks go for about 150 quid on ebay, which is about twice what you probably paid for the Eachine, but it’s at least 10 times a better drone.
You’d have obstacle avoidance, 12M still pictures, 1080P video (good quality), better range, parts availability and the batteries last probably 3 times longer.
As I said before, if you need any advice, just ask, we’ve probably done it, had it or crashed it. If you want another Eachine for spares send me your address and you can have the one off the top of the shelf here complete with the case and spare batteries, no charge.
John

1 Like

Hi mate my address

[ADMIN REMOVED]

Thanks mate
I will upgrade to a Mavik as soon as I’ve had a bit of practice lol and crashes

Yes will ya send me that drone I’d appreciate that

Hi mate yes would ya send me that drone thanks very much I’m probably gona need spares lol

1 Like

I’ll climb the shelves and get it down later. It’ll probably be Monday before I send it but you’re welcome to it mate.

Ok have ya got my address

1 Like

Ok that would be great Thankyou
Do you have my address

1 Like

My tuppence worth An intro and a few things I learned the hard way.
In summary, go slow to start and I second the link posted by @Jhdee above

I have a Spark flymore combo (3 batteries) its got about 1.5 hrs flytime on it and in perfect condition. I was reckoning £150 for it if anyone wants a good drone for a good price.
Moved onto an Air 2 now.

2 Likes

Very, very good price!

2 Likes

Hi Price & Welcome. our computer will not run sims but can’t afford to replace it, it does everything else we need it to do. so we have done similar, with a tinyhawk 2. we are getting really good at smashing into walls. LOL. now looking for a cheap 5" that i can smash to bits & it won’t cost an arm & a leg to keep in the air. we need lots of practice. hope you have fun. Jon & Denise

1 Like

Thanks John
Do you have my Address ?

1 Like

Yes mate

Ok cool and thanks again John

Same story here, and got the Ex5 for £30 from banggood uk warehouse (partial refund because they trusted hermes to deliver it)
Flies great!! Always wanted a drone but until I get a feel for where I will be able to fly it (lots of airfields/restrictions around here) and how often the weather will be suitable, I didn’t want to waste a wedge of cash on a try out. I get 25 solid mins of flying per battery before I get paranoid and bring it back.
Was wondering @Price if you found suitable props and tried them? One of the problems with the drone I got was that they bundled the wrong spare props. I grabbed some off amazon for a few quid that seem to be the same size (for mavic mini) but haven’t needed to try them yet.
Anyone got experience using mavic mini “style” props on an EX5? I imagine it might alter the flight characteristics if the length or pitch is different, but how do you measure that? Not like you can trust most of the sellers of these cheap clone props to know what they are selling.