New to fpv in Milton Keynes

The one on the left is the one I’m having issues with

1 Like

He said originally that hes on the latest version. My fault for not reading the full display but 4.3 or 4.2.11 makes no odds, its still important to apply custom defaults when flashing Betaflight

1 Like

So should I try flashing it with 4.3 or is 4.2 fine

Anyway - regardless of some confusion around exactly what setup you’re running and precisely what the problem is, I’d check a few things…

When plugged into BF configurator (props off!), can you gradually spin up each motor individually to top speed without them ‘pulsating’? If so, there’s probably nothing wrong with your FC/ESC/motors.

Next thing I’d do is stick it in angle mode, clear the BB logs and spend a minute or two hovering around via LOS. Do some steady throttle increases to get it to rise and fall, then move around left, right, forwards backwards. Can you hear the motors pulsing? If so, everything you need to get started addressing the problem will be in the logs.

As mentioned here a few times, will probably be a filtering or PID tuning issue. You need to start by looking at what frequency the pulses are happening at and take it from there. If building a ‘mash-up’ quad then you can get lucky with the default Betaflight tune, but can also be unlucky and it can take a lot of effort to get it flying nice.

Any more details on your exact spec? Frame, motors, props…?

2 Likes

Honestly I would stick with 4.2.11 for now

1 Like

Yeah… try what @Jase_MK suggests…

If you get nowhere with that I’d flash to BF4.3 RC7 with full defaults and set it up from scratch…

You could flash with BF4.2.11 with full defaults (nothing at all from the other quad), but BF 4.3 has some features that makes it easier to use.

To be fair… try all the above. Just backup your config each time!

1 Like

I’m no expert and have no experience with builds as of yet, but some of those motor solders for 2 & 3 look a bit to close, specially the ones for motor 2 (from the picture, the bottom left/2, top right/3)
Might be worth a retouch there and see if it does anything…

the few times i got pulsating motors, i had a bad gyro on the flight controller. after changing the flight controller, it was fine.
another time was when I wired a uart as well as sbus signal to the same port (the flight controller had a SBUS pad as well as an RX pad on the same uart) and everytime the signal glitched the motors would pulsate.
in either case there is some signal causing your FC to give big changes to your motors causing them to pulsate. since you have a similar build without issues that would mean your radio is fine.
Then maybe check your receiver…if you go into your Receiver tab in betaflight while everything is plugged in (remove props!) move your sticks around slowly and see if betaflight is tracking it properly without jumping around?
also, if you do a blackbox log (debug - gyro scaled) you would see if your gyros are ok. This is how I found my gyro’s y-axis was broken! and it happened to four different FC’s from three different brands. (i’ve gone through WAY too many FCs so yes it may be a low percantage fault in production of the mpu6000, for the most part they are solid and I think the fault is during manufacturing)

1 Like

I just rememberd, you might get away with some ESC tweaking to see if it helps with noise.
-increase PWM frequency to 48khz or 96khz
-make demag compensation from low to high
-move motor timing from high to low

all these will make the ESC less aggressive and often reducing noise in the system. it’ll be smoother and more efficient but you will lose power.

I would move them all the settings as the above and if the glitching dissappears, move each one back one at a time to see if you can recover back any power.

1 Like

@daich. Thanks for the advice I’ll swap the FC over see what happens. I did up BF the others day and it does seem to have gotten rid of the issue but I need to run a 6s battery as that is when the problem really happened.

1 Like

Out of curiosity what size/kv motors are you running?

They look like Emax Eco 2 but are they rated for 6s?

@SirGunner good eye mate yes they are 1900kv it did say 3s up to 6s is that right?

1 Like

Yeah no problem running 6s on 1900kv :+1:t2: Did you have a chance to test the 6s yet?

Its only because I was looking to buy new motors recently and I recognised them from when I was looking :laughing:

Yea I did try a 6s I only noticed it happening one time I need to look at the blackbox and see what’s going on. The I would recommend them but IV not had a chance to fly them yet tho the Xing 1855kv are good

1 Like

I ended up going for the Xing E Pro in the end which is in a similar price bracket to the Emax Eco. Not tried them out yet still building. Hopefully ready for the Big Meet this weekend :crossed_fingers:t2:

Hay mate so I put the FC on my other build and I didn’t get the issue happening I put my othere FC on that build I had issues with and it started to happen from what I can hear it’s only one motor

Ah, that rules out the FC for sure! Could be the ESC or motors then