NFZ - UAV Forecast or NATS Dronesafe. Who's right?

4 Likes

I think you should be ok on that post code you are outside it

1 Like

I seem to spend my life starving the trolls Rich!

He also said >ā€œthink you also need an operators id for any drone nowā€< :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Well really? Whoā€™d have thought?

1 Like

Sometimes it fun to give them some scraps. :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Ash, I work 300metres away from Norfolk and Norwich Hospital Helipad, I always notify both Norwich ATC and the helipad operator EAAA, when carrying out aerial photos for work, they are really nice people to deal with, they are trying to get all drone users to complete a NOTAM

1 Like

Just out of interestā€¦ so has anyone done a NOTAM just for a recreational, below 400ft flight ? I always do a Altitude Angels ā€œFile Flightā€ but never seen anyone do a NOTAM just for this, perhaps commercial where you are close to NFZ but recreationalā€¦ is it really necessary and if so, should you be flying there anywayā€¦?
There seems several ways to do it if you had to, email, phone someone up but doesnā€™t really tell you who you are phoningā€¦ so if you have done one, which is the best methodā€¦ ? Ta

1 Like

Iā€™ve never seen a notam for a drone flight.

And I spend an insane amount of time looking at drone scene maps and layers :blush:

Thereā€™s also zero reference to creating notams in the drone code, so no, thereā€™s no need.

1 Like

My thoughts as wellā€¦ just been checking NOTAM Info site and nothing re UAVā€™s, if I was flying near a Heli Pad for example, which they seem to be the main ā€œbe carefulā€ highlighted places not under the CAA control or NATS and normally at hospitals, then as per the Drone regs and A2 C of C, (if you have it), I would be extra careful, thatā€™s the rule but cant see me doing a NOTAM, just begging for trouble inviting some extra authority to your flight when you donā€™t need to, keep your head down is my experience unless you really cant avoid it. Cheers

Sorry PingSpike, meant to say, an ā€œinsaneā€ amount of timeā€¦!! what you need is a good hobbyā€¦ like Drone Flyingā€¦ ha-haā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s good, but I canā€™t imagine doing that every time you want to just pop up and take a photo.

I meant to ask, since the major December changes, is the Drone Code still a thing?

Would you call 4km from an air ambulance pad ā€œnearā€? I think they only use the Oban one a few times a week, if that.

yeah, its just been amended
https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code

1 Like

Really? I donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing in an hourā€™s time, let alone with the lead time needed for a NOTAM.

If Iā€™m driving about looking for somewhere to fly or something worthy of photographs, do I sit in my car for a couple of days whilst it goes through the system and hope the the view/lighting/sun position doesnā€™t change in the meantime?

What a totally stupid frigging idea! One guaranteed to ensure people will just ignore it and fly anyway.

4 Likes

I doubt it would even be accepted?

Maybe we should test this? :thinking:

2 Likes

Thanks Jim.

1 Like

Yeah, me too Dave. Sometines Iā€™m driving home from Tesco and I see a strange boat at the fish farm!

1 Like

Itā€™s so different, Iā€™m surprised theyā€™re not making people re-take their registration test.

1 Like

When I am surveying the roofs near the hospital,I email the helipad operator and Norwich ATC with all my details, exact location and timings etc. Just make sure they are aware I am in the area. The NOTAM comment was from one of the EAAA staff. But as you say for one photograph seems a lot of work. But in my case I have over 60 roofs to survey and can take hours. I have yet to complete a NOTAM. It was just an idea they had? The trouble is much of the work is all dependent on the weather.