NFZ - UAV Forecast or NATS Dronesafe. Who's right?

I carry out surveys for work, as a rule only around 1 property and never close to the upper limit, but always at least contact local ATC to notify the ones I contact near me to produce a NOTAM themselves for my drone operations, I have also created my own NOTAM if no nearby contact (Some ATC not operational) my view and also the view from the ATCs I have spoken too, is not that you are going to encroach but if a rogue SUA or flyaway occurs then they are already aware of operations.
I know its only my view, but feel there needs to be more education for hobby pilots, with regards to how to notify relevant authorities, but also on airspace use, for example at work (near York) a Herc low fly saw from the office window, it had to pull up over the pylons! a quick check on NOTAMS and other websites and only was large area covering military exercises over most of Nth Yorkshire! Also noticed at the weekend at a popular walking area with hillside art there are now signs up saying no drones, there is a glider club directly above on the top of the hill.

I agree totally. I was this week talking to a local shop owner who said he had got an RC Helicopter for Christmas and was flying it on the beach near his house (which happens to be right inside the NFZ of Oban Airport). He said he lost control and it flew away, never to be seen again. He had no idea that he’d done anything wrong!

If that’s YGC at KIlburn, they need to start answering their phone so they can be notified, the signs have been up for a long time.

At the end of the day what more rights than me do they have to be in the air?

At the end of the day what more rights than me do they have to be in the air?

I agree with you and no one has more right than anyone else, but I have previously worked in aviation and seen the damage bird strikes have on aircraft (which are about the weight and size of drones) so my view is if we all can let everyone know what we are doing in the air and plan around each other then it can only mean safer airspace for everyone. If we as SUA pilots put a NOTAM in then every airspace user will see this prior to any flights and can be aware and adjust accordingly. I think it is more about education and awareness even for hobby pilots, which I feel the new regulations bring (For info I hold PfCO).

They do, and the new 40 question ‘quiz’ isn’t easy if you haven’t done a little bit of homework (or have another browser window open).

The answer isn’t notams in my opinion.

There’s a very interesting anecdote by Matt in one of the UAV Hub modules where his fully laden (with people) Puma helicopter is hit by a seagull. It smashes the windscreen, blows the door off and renders him unconscious! Quite a sobering thought.

Are you sure it wasn’t the seagull hit by the puma helicopter Ash? :grin:

2 Likes

Seagulls been around longer.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s more likely! :grin:

1 Like

I know. Nobody asked how the seagull was!

1 Like

Probably just had a bit of a headache :grin:

1 Like

Or, as seagulls tend to do, flew over the car-park and shat on his car. :laughing:

3 Likes