North west meet-up - Sunday 8th September 2019

A what??

This 3 word address refers to an exact 3m x 3m location. Tap the link or enter the 3 words into the free what3words app to find it.

1 Like

Cool but what’s wrong with a good old grid reference.
Anyway how do you know what the 3 words are.

Count me in @kvetner👍

1 Like

Get the app or go the website and drop a pin.

They have divided the whole world into 3m squares.

Viewpoint location: what3words /// The simplest way to talk about location
Clearing location: what3words /// The simplest way to talk about location

2 Likes

Sorry. I’m on 6-2 next Sunday but keep me informed of future events and I look forward to some great pictures, video and stories.

No problem!

I went to Anglezarke for a recce this morning. There was nobody else at the east side viewpoint while I was there (7-7.30am), just a couple of cars slowing down curious as to what I was up to. On the west side, the open space is on the edge of a field, there were some curious cows but nobody else around. Parking to access the footpath is on the road along the reservoir dam.

I also went up to Rivington afterwards, where I flew from the open access land just above the Pigeon Tower.

I had quite a few issues with wind, so we’ll need to keep an eye on the weather forecast.

Well for the moment the weather looks reasonable

1 Like

How many people are going to this meet up I might come as well if I am free

1 Like

Am up for it, looks a great spot.
Subject to me getting through the Yorkshire/Lancashire checkpoint

2 Likes

I could meet at the border and cause a distraction with a swarm of drones while you seek across. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That would be appreciated :+1:

Make sure you bring your Passport Mick !.

2 Likes

And google translate

2 Likes

No mention of an all day breakfast :fried_egg: yet.
Fingers crossed there will be somewhere cheap nearby

Thinking about it. Have to camp the night before though. It’s 3 hours away for me.

There are quite a few tea room places at Rivington just a few minutes drive away, some of these do all-day breakfasts, I’ve not been to any myself, so I’d suggest that a local gives a recommendation.

For those with a decent level of fitness and who can cope with eating later, I think right after the reservoir I’ll take a walk up through Rivington country park to either Rivington Pike or the Pigeon Tower - the moorland up here is Open Access Land so has very few restrictions on activities once within its boundaries. Subject to wind conditions on the day!

Any thoughts on time yet?

Tea room? That sounds a bit posh for me.
Will shout out to @sparkman999 am sure he will know a local dive for an all day breakfast :fried_egg:
Might have to miss out on the walk after, washing me hair
Cheers

2 Likes

I’m suggesting 7am at the reservoir viewpoint as it’s a popular spot for people to stop, but should be quiet enough if we’re that early - it certainly was last Sunday, when I had a look.

For people who can’t get there that early, I’m suggesting 8.30-9am on the other side of the reservoir, as that’s a public footpath which is less well used by the public. However, that footpath runs through a field with livestock so we need to minimise disturbance (also: wellies or walking boots needed, parts of the footpath are a bit muddy).

Another option is to fly from the west side of Yarrow Reservoir (which is also a public footpath), there’s some roadside parking or we can walk up a reasonably short path from the road along Anglezarke reservoir dam. This one has the advantage that there shouldn’t be any cows, but I’ve not recce’d it.

For either of the second two spots, you can park here.