PfCO / A2 CofC - Advice

Hi,

Some useful reading here…

I’m not sure where you’re getting the 120m limit for VLOS in the UAVHUB materials… I did the same course.

Ned

1 Like

From CAP722:
The CAA will normally accept that the VLOS requirement is met when the UA is flown out
to a distance of 500 metres horizontally from the remote pilot, but only if the aircraft can
still be seen at this distance.

1 Like

1:1 distance to height safety ?

1 Like

Ned, Sorry, I was a bit misleading in my post. He says it in the Collision Avoidance module as a “for instance” not a limit. I know it’s not a rule, but I was wondering if there is an accepted maximum for a particular drone.

I’d say it’s going to depend very much on the pilot as well as weather conditions and what background you’re flying against.

I don’t have great eyesight. You tested your Mini 2 and still saw it 230 metres out. I took mine for a spin this morning and sent it straight up against a clear sky. Started to lose sight at around 80m.

Another one of those things where they’ve got to leave it a little vague so people don’t assume that it’s some kind of a measured safe distance. Just look at the idiots who think 60mph is a target rather than a speed limit.

Hey guys

Curious question, how many of you have gone out and got your A2 since the changes to the regs now in effect? I’ve bought the course and exam for about £100 with some xmas discounts and am about to start the training course, but I wondered how many folks were just going to stick with the basic allowances you now get (with the usual registrations if required of course).

Cheers

Moved your post to this never ending catch-all thread on the matter of A2 CofC.

Others will reply here. :+1:

Did my A2CofC in November mainly to give more flying options for my Mavic2Z. :+1:

I have a varied selection of aircraft, many over the 2kg limit. The one I fly most however is my Mavic Air for which me having an A2 C of C would give certain advantages. The aircraft may be getting close to retirement by the time CE marked drones come out - again the C of C will confer advantages.

So, if I have any money left after getting 3 cars through an MoT, I’ll go for a UAVHub course.

1 Like

Hopefully this will get your answer:

Supersnappy A2CofC poll
  • I have an A2 CofC
  • I’m currently doing the A2 CofC training or plan to do so in the future
  • I don’t plan to get an A2 CofC

0 voters

2 Likes

Test tomorrow… thank god my kids have laptops or I’d be heading to the shops to buy a webcam. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

They are certainly coming down in price. I did mine a few months ago when they’d just been reduced from £249 IIRC to £180… I should have waited!

3 Likes

I’d guess at £49 in just six months from now.

5 Likes

That’s why I have just treated myself to …

1 Like

Not being arrogant but I have passed various professional exams by reading the course materials without a tutor or instructional video. Being a cheapskate I would like to do the same for the C of C but cannot find anywhere that will provide materials for self-study.

£99 seems to be the cheapest currently for a video course, any means of getting cheaper?

Nice Rob, think its silly how we have to go out and purchase additional equipment. :pensive:

Yes, but now McMac Enterprises can livestream the results of the fortnightly RTF Photo competitions from their secret hollowed-out volcano …

2 Likes

:joy::joy: oh god! What to wear :thinking:

1 Like

I can send you the"Aide memoire" documents if you want them Rob, and the rest of the documentation that you get.

Good luck Steve. Mine is this evening.

1 Like