Questions about your Good 2 Go results? Post them here!

From a public space you are free to take off as long as there not people near?

Your P4 is only good to fly in a non urban area unless you have further qualifications. (Think middle of nowhere, near no houses, roads, people at all)

The results in good2go are self explanatory.

1 Like

Ok that makes sense.

People keep going on about categories and subcategories. A1 this A2 that. But that doesn’t really matter unless you like over complicating things and flying over people and city’s.
But as long as your out of the way it’s totally fine to fly.

Thanks. I’ve always stay out of the way anyway.

What further qualifications would I need or are available and how do I go about getting them ?
The drone fly’s it’s self even a toddler could safely operate a my drone. So I don’t see what there is to be qualified for ? I’m getting the impression there putting up red tape just because they can.
Drones have been flown for years without the new/ not so new rules so why do we need them now?

This subject has been discussed time and time (and time) again, in an incredible amount of detail, constantly over the last three years (as soon as the new regs were announced).

Try a few searches, all the information you need is already here.

Please keep this topic on the subject of discussing Good 2 Go results.

1 Like

Feel free to post in this more general thread and I’ll be happy to provide further answers:

1 Like

Hi,
Clarification please on Good2Go’s answer for these parameters:

• Your drone weighs 125g
  • You do not hold an A2 Certificate of Competency
  • You hold an Article 16 Operational Authorisation
  • You want to fly directly above uninvolved persons
  • You want to fly between 0 metres and 30 metres away from people
  • You want to fly in a recreational area

You can fly because:

• This is Open sub-category A1
  • Your drone is <250g and can be flown close to and over uninvolved persons
  • There is no specified minimum separation distance and it does not matter whether you are flying in a residential, industrial, commercial or recreational area
  • You do not require any additional qualification

Additional information:
It is self-built (Not a BNF / RTF)
Max speed is about 80MPH (~36 m/s)
It’s an FPV quad with a camera

Questions:
Why does Good2Go not ask about speed?
<19 m/s or <80 J seem to be limiting factors in the regulations, not just weight <250g

Surely for this drone, no flight over uninvolved people is allowed?
For the Class column…
Privately Built cannot be chosen, because while it is <250g, it is over 19 m/s
Legacy cannot be chosen, because it is not “Placed on the market” - ie surely that is for drones sold as complete RTF drones, whereas mine is self-built
C0(Toy) cannot be chosen as it’s not a toy
C0(Not a toy) cannot be chosen as it’s > 19m/s

So surely, I am limited to no intentional flight over people, falling into the C1 class because it’s <900g (But not <80J)

Surely this is pretty much the case for ANY self-built <250g racing / freestyle type quad, as all of them will be capable of >19m/s

To clarify

We’ll look in to this on the next update.

When is the next update likely to happen? If the tool as it stands is indeed giving incorrect advice, and the next update is not going to be for a while, should it not be taken down in the meantime?

I’ve added a line of text to exclude self built drones for now.

Also, I cannot find the legal text which further explains the “<19 m/s” requirement as mentioned in CAP2012
Does this mean
“Currently being flown at <19m/s”
“Only capable of <19m/s”
One would imagine that is a limit for the horizontal component of the velocity? Otherwise, absolutely all drones are capable of >19m/s, because an object in free-fall would be going faster than that

A drone in free fall is no longer a drone. It is no longer being piloted nor able to control itself.

Certainly for a quad running betaflight, a quad at zero throttle is generating no lift, but the props are still spinning.
You still have roll/pitch/yaw authority, but the quad is in free-fall
So it very much is still a drone under your control
I guess the same would apply for any DJI quad where the throttle stick is directly controlling the amount of thrust, not height (ie throttle stick in middle position means props spinning at half speed, not “hold current altitude”)

Also that comment seems kind of disingenuous - by your logic, if you disarm a quad mid-flight and it starts to free-fall, it’s no longer a drone, so it’s no longer covered by drone laws? ie you’re about to over-fly someone and you disarm the drone, it falls from the sky and hits them, but because you disarmed it, it was no longer a drone at the time of the impact and so nothing to do with the CAA? I think not!
IMHO if you launched it as a drone, then until it safely lands at the end of the flight, it’s still a drone, regardless

UAS.OPEN.020(5)(a):

Your right the have to declare what you are using before each flight. So if you using article 16 to fly you can’t change the flight from one to another untill you land then you can declare the second flight a A2 cofc flight. So before each flight I have a check list at the top it asks which authorisation is in use and I write before each flight except A3 flights. This is not a requirement more me trying to cover by ass. Hope this helps.

Hi i am New to drone scene and am using a PC, my question is can i change my location manually on my PC to use good to go or do i actually need to be at a location to see if i am good to go
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Both Good 2 Go and Drone Scene should work really well for you on computers, phones and tablets.

Good 2 Go does not want a specific location on a map, you just tell it what kind of area you might want to fly in, e.g. “Industrial, commercial or residential” or “Recreational” or “Non-urban”. The page explains what these are.

Drone Scene does let you move your marker around the map regardless of where you might be physically located, and works on a PC.

2 Likes

DJI Mini 2 seems ok for the flight I have described. I have passed the theory test but no other UK requirements (currently hold an advanced RPAS certificate for Canada and Remote Pilot certificate for USA). I am hoping to capture images of the Drax power plant and wondering what if any flight restrictions govern that site. Any advice would be most welcome. Also, does anybody know if a foreign operator license carries any weight in the UK? Thanks!