Restricted Area - Durham

Hi Guys,

couple of quick newbie questions on Restricted areas, if I may.

I have seen quite a few drone pic’s of Durham City centre area and was wanting to try the same with the Mavic 2 Pro, but looking at the map, it is in a Restricted Area.

1. Are people applying for permission or just flying illegally - or is it allowed in other scenarios?

2. Why such a large restricted area (must be circa 15 square miles) around a couple of prisons? - You can see the prisons highlighted in a darker shade on the map.

thanks in advance…

It only applies to helicopters I think - there is another thread about it here:

2 Likes

thanks, I’ll take a look…

The outer red area is not a no fly zone, more of a warning. I took my GVC practical test within that same area. I just had to note it on my risk assessment. There is a similar red zone around airports outside the flight restriction zone. Yes, it is confusing.

Hi Barry,

it’s certainly confusing, so any idea what is needed if I want to fly in this region with a Mavic 2 Pro? - only have my Flyer and OP ID so really limited with separation distances to begin with…

Try the good 2 go tool (drop down list at the top right of the page).
Then like me, start to realise why the Mini 2 is so popular. I have hardly used my Zoom since getting my Mini2.
Also consider doing the A2 CofC. Its way cheaper than it used to be.

thanks Barry, but wanting to stick with the Pro 2, so A2 CofC is a waste of time…