Rookie mistake

think before you fly…lol

First time out for a play with the M3 and decided to have a quick spin around the local TV mast.

What happens when the mast comes between you and the drone? - loss of signal, drone goes into Return to Home mode and makes a bee-line back to the home point - and heads straight for the big steel tower that is now in it’s flight path.
Luckily I managed to get connected again before impact and shoot sideways to avoid a collision, probably with one of the guy ropes.

Lesson learned - until the next time…lol

(video doesn’t show following the loss of signal)

2 Likes

M3? :thinking:

As in DJI Mavic 3?

It’s got obstacle avoidance, panic not :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why not ? Did it stop on board recording too ?

Upload the flight data I think your issue isn’t what you think it is :wink:

2 Likes

Try drone tweaks.
No loss of signal then

I would have presumed due to the size of the mast the M3 would have flown around it or just stopped, depending on your obstacle avoidance setting.

If the drone is currently recording a video it will continue recording. So I would have thought there would have been some sort of video of the incident.

Unless you were using the quick shot circle. But due to the video I would say you were flying manually as the circle is not round and the antenna is not in the middle.

With Drone Tweaks you would have been on a higher power setting so it would not have lost connection. I can highly recommend it.

Yes, Mavic 3 - I was thinking more of it hitting a guy rope rather than the mast.

OA was set to brake, so I’m guessing it would otherwise have just hovered in place until I could reconnect or the battery ran low.

Hi Chris, no, I cut the video short - and no idea how to look at flight data…lol

Hi Steve,

I haven’t heard of drone tweaks, what is it?

I was flying manually trying to get used to the controls, I did cut the video short when it started to behave erratically and it automatically initiated a return to home.

Check out this thread.

https://greyarro.ws/t/drone-tweaks-modification-to-enable-fcc-airsense-mode/36929/32

It puts the Mavic 3, sorry, any drone that you have currently connected to the flyapp Mini 2, Mavic Air 2, Air 2s, Mavic 3 into FCC mode.

Well worth the cost and it works flawlessly. I have just taken that plunge and upgraded my M3 to the 600 firmware and it still works on FCC.

Must say. I turned on the M3 after the update, in my bedroom and the GPS connected to 15 sats in 35 seconds.

1 Like

There is also a GADC discount in the 3rd or 4th post down or details thereof

see Drone Tweaks Modification to enable FCC / AirSense Mode

1 Like

Cheers Steve,

just watched the video, looks like something I could well be interested in, thanks for heads-up :slight_smile:

• and the GADC discount won’t go amiss - thanks guys!