RTF Competition July 3rd to 16th - UGLY BUILDINGS - Winners Announced

2 in 1 :star_struck:

• The Toast Rack and just behind the Poached Egg!

• Taken yesterday 13/07/22 at 20:18

• DJI MIni 2, ISO 100, Shutter 1/40, 4000 x 3000

• Added to Dronescene
  • Some more pictures posted Here
5 Likes

Tis is definitely a Marmite competition. Some of these buildings i quite like. Some are a definite no no.

1 Like

Looks like a rear end with something inserted into it !

Hard to decide what to enter.
I mean an aerial photo of Hull would just be an easy win for me - I want to give the other entries a chance :laughing:

Agree :joy: I quite like the toast rack too. :rofl:

2 Likes

Long time since I was there, RIP UMIST who actively promoted social events between a bunch of 90% male tech students and DOMSCI, 90% female. Good to see it hasn’t been demolished.

Sorry but that won’t get an ugly vote from me, love it.

1 Like

Me too amazing building and history but ugly as it is now, would look amazing if they ever get around to converting it into an apartment block with rooftop garden :grinning:

Oh and remember you are voting on the quality of the subject and image :wink::wink::wink::wink::smile:

• Kingsway House, Warrington
  • DJI Mini 2 with a CPL filter
  • 14/07/22 Approx 19:00
  • I wouldn’t normally post a residential building for a challenge like this, but given it’s now vacant and in the early stages of renovation I don’t feel too bad about it. This has for quite a few years been seen as the fugliest residential property in Warrington. It’s now getting a “facelift” to make it less of an eyesore but I’m not sure anything can save its total ill-fit to the local street scene which I’ve gone out of my way to include for some context to the building.

5 Likes

" High Point was built as the headquarters of the Yorkshire Building Society and completed in 1972. High Point is a prominent example of Brutalist architecture."

Bradford still contains a lot of utilitarian architecture and Highpoint was the first place that came to mind when I think of Ugly Buildings.

Drone Scene: Highpoint Bradford - Added to Everything Else in Yorkshire and the Humber - Where to fly your drone in the UK - Grey Arrows Drone Club UK

8 Likes

So, this is my entry 
 the Keldgate No. 2 Underground Reservoir near Cottingham, East Yorkshire.

16/7/22 20:00
DJI Mini 2

" By the 1870s the expansion of Hull was predicted to be such that additional water supply would be needed, and plans for extraction were made for two sites near Cottingham. In 1890 a pumping station (‘Mill Dam pumping station’) was opened north of the village centre, near Mill Dam stream; built to supply Kingston upon Hull with water from the aquifer via three boreholes. West of the village at Keldgate a reservoir was constructed in 1909 with a capacity of about 10,000,000 imp gal (45,000 m3); representing a day’s usage. The reservoir was expanded in the 1930s, with the construction of a second “No.2 reservoir” with a capacity of about 8,000,000 imp gal (36,000 m3)."

Don’t be fooled by the faux 1935 ‘art deco’ exterior:

^^ not the entry

When viewed from above, it’s all smoke and mirrors 
 what a mess!

^^ the entry

5 Likes

The poll results are in and it looks like a majority of you would like something to fill the next seven weeks. So it looks like you will be enjoying a Birthday Challenge and Treasure Hunt. It will doubtless be announced as soon as the thugs that run it have taken over our desks and started their bad-cop, bad-cop routine 

The other 18% of you can snigger from the sidelines as your increasingly desparate chums frantically hunt for points 

1 Like

We have chickened out! This is your competition, subject chosen at random from your suggestions, winner decided by your vote. So you work out whether to vote for the ugliest building or the best picture or even the ugliest picture of the best building.

As those of you who came to last year’s open day or unlucky enough to be “invited” to an interview without coffee will know, we are fans of brutalist architecture here in the Chall Com building. Unfortunately the RTF crew is being moved out of our comfortable bunker to make way for the unsmiling, jack-booted VoPos who administer the Birthday Challenge. One misfortunate, lone operative will remain to announce the result of the vote and congratulate the winner on Monday evening otherwise it’s goodbye from us, see you in September!

Oh, yeah - no winners without your votes - so dive in, vote for one, some, all or none of the pictures. We will see who is the ugliest on Monday night at 22:00

And, for a bit of summer fun, try this

Didn’t see that Blackpool entry until the vote. Rest of us may as well withdraw, ugliest building on the planet.

Same architect as morecambe and lancaster i think.
Can’t be 2 people who would think they are ok.

Thank goodness for the summer break as this was a touch confusing. Anyway the winners of the prettiest ugliest best worst photo of a building are:

In third place, the picture that kicked this off

@stevesb produced this beautiful picture of Lancaster nick, it certainly works for us as a crime deterrent. Well done Steve!

And then, in joint first place we have a nice golden hour shot of the Yorkshire Building Society in Bradford. @Dak is responsible for bringing that fine example of late period Brutalist architecture to our attention. Well done to you Dakin

And, metaphorically bumping uglies with Dakin is @Dorje. Ben chose a weather-stained Warrington landmark, soon to be demolished, the Quattro Building. Congratulations on joint first place and thank you for documenting an outstanding building before it disappears. Future generations will thank you while they mourn its loss.

That was hard work!

Why not relax over the summer with a gentle treasure hunt and birthday challenge to while away those warm. lazy days? Could it be you taking the top ÂŁ200 cash prize? For details - click the picture

6m79fy

8 Likes

Congrats everybody.

Weirdly, pretty sure I’ve been on the roof of all of those in a CoD map with a sniper :wink:

Woop woop! Awesome to pull in a win!

Thanks to all who voted for our soon to be lost ugly building supremo.

1 Like

Well done everyone and some deserving winners.

2 Likes

Nice one all 
 deserving winners and entries :slight_smile: