RTF Competition June 4th to 17th 2023 - Castles

@group-challenges

You had a choice of three simple subjects- Symmetry, Colours and Castles. Simple? Maybe deceptively so; let’s see what you will make of the most popular (and easiest?) of the three - Castles.

And now for the part few seem to read or care for - the rules!

RTF RULES
Scope

The requirement is to submit a still image created using a drone to illustrate the subject of the competition. The subject for the competition running from 00:01 June 4th to 23:00 June 17th 2023 is - Castles.

The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open. It is a Reason To Fly competition so please show that the image is created by a flying camera!

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only. There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

Please post only one image, the image you wish to be judged, in this thread.

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

In Capitals as the first line of your post:

THIS IS MY ENTRY

If this is not done at the time of posting the picture will be ignored. Should it be absolutely necessary to change your picture then delete the previous picture and add “This is my entry” - as above - as the first line of your new post. If in any doubt contact the Challenges Committee. (@Challenges_Committee)

Further Information is required

• Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Voting

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for one, all, some or none of the entries.

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three that have been picked at random from the subject list. You may make additions to the list at any time.

The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later. Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 22:00

The winner, second and third-placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed and counted

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners’ wishes and permissions must be respected. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

E&OE
1 Like

I’ve seen so many Castle photos/videos over the last week, I think everyone jumped the gun and will now have to return :laughing:

Me included :roll_eyes:

This Is My Entry

Lowther Castle

Lowther, Penrith, CA10 2HH
16.43 on the 4th June 2023
DJi Mini 3 Pro

Lowther Castle is a country house in the historic county of Westmorland, which now forms part of the modern county of Cumbria, England. It has belonged to the Lowther family, latterly the Earls of Lonsdale, since the Middle Ages. It is a fully managed ruin, open to visits by the public to the shell of the castle and some of the gardens since 2011. Additional work was completed since that time, most recently on the extensive gardens

In the 1950’s the contents were sold and the roof removed to avoid taxes hence the current state.

6 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Castle Hill
Huddersfield
04/06/2023 - 20:32.
DJI Mini 3 Pro.
ISO 100.
Shutter 1/4000s, -1.3ev, ND8

11 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY
Castle donnigton berkshire
05,06,2023 @ 20,30 ish
Mavic 3 classic
Iso 100, shutter 1,2000s, ev -07
slight edit in photoshop
HDR x5 bracket

8 Likes

Of course Tamworth Castle has a ton of scaffolding around it! :man_facepalming:

Who doesn’t want to see a castle with 3 ugly sky rise blocks next to it.

Yes Ade, I thought the same. Stafford Castle’s too boring so another hundred miles on the car beckons I guess. Was at Chesterfield as well last Saturday taking a video of Hardwick Hall and Bolsover Castle … p*ss poor timing I’d say. :joy:

1 Like

MY ENTRY

Sorry no Sunset picture from me!
Natural Trust, Powis Castle, Nr Welshpool 10 Jun 23 at 1445 hrs
with DJI mini 3 Pro
5 X Bracketed DNG’s using ND32 filter (was taking a video at time).
ISO 100

8 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Lincoln Castle Lincolnshire taken 0648 11th June 2023 DJI Mini3 pro

Lincoln Castle is a major medieval castle constructed in Lincoln, England, during the late 11th century by William the Conqueror on the site of a pre-existing Roman fortress. The castle is unusual in that it has two mottes. It is one of only two such castles in the country, the other being at Lewes in East Sussex. Lincoln Castle remained in use as a prison and court into modern times and is one of the better preserved castles in England; the Crown Courts continue to this day. It is open to the public most days of the week and possible to walk around the walls from which there are views of the castle complex, cathedral, the city, and surrounding countryside. The castle is now owned by Lincolnshire County Council and is a scheduled monument.

6 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

• Drone: Mini 3 Pro
  • Date: 10 June 2023, 12:00
  • Drone Scene: link

I nipped out of the Big Meet on Saturday morning to capture Barnwell Castle (and couple of other sites).

Built during the reign of King Henry III by Berenger Le Moyne this elegant, large rectangular castle near Oundle was encased by a high curtain wall flanked by huge two storey towers, its walls being over 12 feet thick. During the English Civil War it was used by its owner, Sir Edward Montagu, as an arsenal for the Royal cause. After the Civil War, the Montagu family built a substantial manor house, Barnwell Manor, near the castle. That branch of the family which became the Earls of Peterborough are commemorated in the village church in a series of fine tombs. The castle remains a private residence.

7 Likes

I did this shot on Sunday, but your shot look better!

I totally forgot about castle hill! This is a beautiful picture @Kings

1 Like

Not that many Castle entries, might actually stand a chance with this one to get more than 10% of the votes :joy:. Note to self, I also need to stop being lazy and need to colour and exposure edit my competition entries for that extra pop!

THIS IS MY ENTRY

• Drone: Mini 3 Pro
  • Date: 12 June 2023, 1715

Thurland Castle, is a country house near Tunstall in Lancashire, which has been converted into apartments. It is one of the few castles in the country still surrounded by a moat. Located in parkland, it was originally a defensive structure, one of a number of castles in the Lune Valley.

5 Likes

@Challenges_Committee are we having the next vote for the subject as cannot see it anywhere, if there is one already and I’m blind pls ignore.

I suspect the big meet got in the way of the regular scheduled programming.

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Location; Kenilworth Castle
Drone; mini 3 pro
Wednesday, 7 June 2023 at 18:31

3 Likes

@group-challenges
The competition has now closed for entries and here are the resulting images from this round of the Reason To Fly competition - Castles.
You can determine the outcome of the poll below by voting for one, all some or none of the images - you have until 22:00 on Monday June 19th to complete the task!

2 Likes

Thank you for the votes on this challenge, very much appreciated, well done to 2nd place @Kirky Richard and to 3rd place @GMP Greg and also to everyone else for some superb castle images :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

3 Likes