RTF Competition May 21st to June 3rd - Winners Announced!

@group-challenges

It looks as though voting is fashionable - local elections, Eurovision and now an excellent turnout for the RTF subject poll! And forty-four percent of you have voted for the subject of the images for the RTF Competition from May 21st to June 3rd to be …

(drum roll plays as presenter fumbles with golden envelope)

Places of Worship!

And now for the part that you have all been clamouring for - the rules!

RTF RULES
Scope

The requirement is to submit a still image created using a drone to illustrate the subject of the competition. The subject for the competition running from 00:01 May 21st to 23:00 June 3rd 2023 is Places of Worship

The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open. It is a Reason To Fly competition so please show that the image is created by a flying camera!

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only. There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

Please post only one image, the image you wish to be judged, in this thread.

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

In Capitals as the first line of your post:

THIS IS MY ENTRY

If this is not done at the time of posting the picture will be ignored. Should it be absolutely necessary to change your picture then delete the previous picture and add “This is my entry” - as above - as the first line of your new post. If in any doubt contact the Challenges Committee. (@Challenges_Committee)

Further Information is required

• Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Voting

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for one, all, some or none of the entries.

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three that have been picked at random from the subject list. You may make additions to the list at any time.

The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later. Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 22:00

The winner, second and third-placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed and counted

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners’ wishes and permissions must be respected. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

E&OE
2 Likes

Am I right in thinking that entries could include a short video at one time? Or was that on a different thread?

Yes, at one time video was allowed but we felt it was at a disadvantage when it came to judging as it wasn’t possible to display directly in the poll. Instead we had to use an online service to create an animated gif - maximum five seconds - to display within the poll. Or just use a frame grab from the video - which kind of makes the video superfluous.

People don’t necessarily scroll through the actual entries in order to cast their votes bur rely on the poll instead. So it was easier both for displaying images at equal quality and saving the coders a lot of hassle to make the competition still image only.

People are welcome to post framegrabs from video if video is their preferred method of working.

Thank you for your prompt answer but more importantly for confirming that I wasn’t losing my marbles! :crazy_face:

1 Like

2 places of workshop in this one, can you spot them?

Please note this is NOT an entry

1 Like

Is that an entry for the competition? If so it requires some further information as below. If not, please ignore :slight_smile:

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Shot, 24-05-23 11:40am
Aircraft:DJI Mini 3 Pro
RAW cropped and sharpened
St Cwyfan’s church (Eglwys Cwyfan), known by many as the “little church in the sea”(or Eglwys bach y môr in Welsh) - a walker to the left of Church island gives a sense of scale.

11 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

St Nicholas’ Church, Fleetwood
15:25 on 25/05/23
Aircraft DJI Mini 2, screenshot from 2.7K60 video

4 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

St. Oswald’s Church in Thornton in Lonsdale with Ingleborough in the background
25/05/23 @ 11:11hrs
Mini 3 Pro with an ND16 filter

9 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

United Reformed Church

Saltaire, West Yorkshire
23/05/2023 - 19:50.
DJI Mini 3 Pro.
ISO 100.
Shutter 1/100s, -1.3ev.

5 Likes

@Kings One of my first flights was at this place

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Preston England Temple, Church of Jesus Christ,Chorley , Lancs

Time 20:42 Date 25/05/23

Dji Air 2s

10 Likes

Stunning! :heart_eyes: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks mate👍.

It’s a really weird, intriguing manacured place…in Chorley :rofl:

1 Like

THIS IS MY ENTRY
Kirkmaiden, Old Church And Churchyard Monreith Dumfries and Galloway.
Time: 06:34 Date: 26/05/2023
DJI Mini 3 Pro

Kirkmaiden began as a Dark Ages enclosed cemetery site with a chapel dedicated to St Medana. It underwent extensive medieval alteration, MacGibbon and Ross dating the extant church as Norman, though the RCAHMS consider that the existing distinctive features are too scanty to date accurately.

It has consisted of a nave and chancel, with an aisle on the N, and possibly another on the S, now only represented by a mound. The walls of the nave and chancel stand almost to gable height. In the S wall of the nave are two round-headed windows and a doorway, which have been restored along their original lines. The chancel, also restored, has been the burial ground of the Maxwells of Monreith, but is no longer in use. At the W end of the nave are the footings of a structure in which 10 skeletons were found, and from this springs the W wall of the cemetery. A 17th c. belfry said to have come from here, is now in use at Glasserton parish church.

There are 3 10th-11th century sculptured stones within a railed enclosure outside the church, one with a cross, and two with interlacing. A further 10-11th century cross-slab, found at the nearby Knock Farm in 1882.

As well as the Maxwells being buried here it is also the final resting place of Francois Thurot a French privateer, merchant naval captain and smuggler who terrorised British shipping, who’s body washed up in the bay.
More on Francois can be found with the following links.

[https://www.kirkcudbrighthistorysociety.org.uk/news/francois-thurot/]

2 Likes

For those that couldn’t see them both ….

THIS IS MY ENTRY
Coventry New Cathedral (plus some of the old bombed out in WW2 Cathedral left side of pic)
Time: 12:30ish Date; 26/05/23
DJI Mini 3 PRO

5 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

St. Augustine by the Sea

5 Likes

This is my entry
26:05:2023 - 10:22am
DJI Mini 3 PRO

Tin Church - Bedmond

The Church of the Ascension, affectionately known in the Hertfordshire village of Bedmond, as the Tin Church, is one of only two such churches in the country.

The Church was built in 1880, and is an early example of the pre-fabricated buildings that were sent to the Colonies for ‘instant’ churches.

The late 1800s saw an enormous growth in church and chapel building and the so-called “tin tabernacles” grew in number across the British Empire.

This church is thought to have been surplus to requirements and was bought for £80 by Mrs Solly, wife of the then Squire of Bedmond, and presented to the village.

4 Likes

I like that mate, nice image👍