RTF Competition - May 22 to June 4 - BRIDGES - Winners Announced!

Frantically scratches out Glenfinnan from list of potential subjects…

1 Like

This is the Mersey Gateway, which connects Runcorn and Widnes across the River Mersey and Manchester Ship Canal.

Photo taken this evening with my Mavic 2 Zoom.

18 Likes

Stunning! :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Well, I’m back (from Outer Space? No… Just a long time adjusting to new digs, and issues with children, and such.) and I’ve got a contender!

This is Llanthony Lift Bridge 24 on the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal. I was lucky enough to get there last night while it was open. (This is the… 3rd time in 20+ years that I have seen this! And I came with my drone to shoot it. How lucky was that?)

Information on the bridge: Llanthony Bridge, Gloucester & Sharpness Canal | Canal & River Trust

3 Likes

Bad Words
OK… I’ve just read the rules… And that is longer than 30 seconds. Give me 5 mins!

1 Like

Llanthony Bridge, Gloucester - Entry 1

Using: Mavic 2 Pro
Thursday 26th May 2022, 15:20

5 Likes

Llanthony Bridge, Gloucester - Entry 2

Using: Mavic 2 Pro
Thursday 26th May 2022, 15:20

I might’ve played with the frame rate on this one… :wink: (But that’s within the rules! :smiley: )

6 Likes

Well done on the quick fix! :))

1 Like

Always read the rules after posting! :wink:

Victoria Bridge, Arly, Worcestershire
Drone: DJI Mini 2
Taken: Today 15:58

21 Likes

Nice one Ade!

2 Likes

Perfectly timed :+1::+1:

Photo 1 of 2

Location Blithfield Reservoir Blithbury, Staffordshire.
Taken by DJI Mini 2 (no filter).
28 May 2022 at 1835.

Blithfield Reservoir is a large raw water reservoir located in Blithbury Staffordshire, England and is owned by South Staffordshire Water. The 800 acres of reservoir was formed as part of the South Staffordshire Water Works and was officially opened by the Queen Mother in 1953. It covers approximately 3.2 square kilometres (790 acres) and is 16 metres (52 ft) at its deepest points. Fed by the River Blithe it holds 4 billion gallons with a Shore length of 5.9 miles (9.5 km). It is well known for its diverse wildlife, particularly birds, a fact that was recognised in 1988 when the reservoir and most of its surrounding woodland was designated as a Site of Special Interest.

8 Likes

Photo 2 of 2

Blithfield reservoir
DJI Mini 2
28 May 2022 at 1835

9 Likes

Pensford Viaduct was opened in 1873 to carry the Bristol & North Somerset Railway over the valley of the River Chew, the striking viaduct at Pensford comprises six discrete sections: four arches extend from the abutment, followed by a smaller arch, then a series of three arches and a king pier. This arrangement is mirrored to reach the other abutment, forming the complete 16-arch structure. 332 yards in length, rail level reaches a maximum height of 95 feet.

More info

Built from local stone but with brick soffits to the arches, the viaduct features tall, tapering piers, with those flanking the smaller arches being thicker and panelled. Later repairs have been carried out in concrete, although sympathetically dressed to resemble masonry.

The last passenger train had headed northwards over the deck on 31st October 1959, after which it was used only for goods. That traffic mostly ceased in 1964, leaving only occasional excursions. The line was officially closed on 15th July 1968, just days after flooding hit Pensford, weakening the structure.

Since September 1984, Pensford Viaduct has been Grade II listed. It was offered for sale for £1, together with a maintenance grant of £70,000, but the associated liabilities meant there were no takers. The structure therefore remains part of BRB(R)'s ‘burdensome estate’, (structure number FNS3/17m 4ch) with the Board having carried out renovation work in 2003 to improve the deck and its associated drainage.

◦ Location: Pensford Viaduct
◦ Time and date: 28/05/22, 16:53
◦ Aircraft/camera used: M2P

12 Likes

Tough competition on this one.
so here’s my 2 peneth

taken with the mini 3 today.
Smardale Viaduct
added to drone scene as part of the Smardale Gill viaduct
Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Smardale Gill Viaduct - Bridges in North West (dronescene.co.uk)

11 Likes

The Three Junction Marina

◦ Location: Dunchurch Pools Marina
◦ Time and date: 20:42 on 27th May 2022
◦ Aircraft/camera used: DJI Air 2s

A lovely walk along a cannel starting at what3words /// The simplest way to talk about location where I left my car. Its about 40 minuet walk to the marina.
The area acts as the link connecting the waterways of England and Wales north to south and east to west. Napton, Braunston and Norton Junctions, the Three Junctions, combine to provide unrivalled cruising options for boats.

13 Likes

OK, they may be small…but there’s four of them :slight_smile:

Footbridges over the flood defence drainage channel, Larkholme Grasslands near Fleetwood

DJI Mini 2 01/06/22, with a bit of time compression in between the bridges to get the clip under 30s

5 Likes

Judging by some of the entries I’m going to have to up my game a little and find some more subjects!!!

2 Likes

Finally got good weather and free time to put my new Mini 2 to the test where I live… first a mini bridge… nothing like the architectural master pieces that others have shown off.
Old Warburton Lane alignment bridge, Partington

and second, when I was testing my range, I snapped this… I exhausted all my batteries, so they are charging and I intend to get a closer shot of this bridge later.
Warburton Toll Bridge

6 Likes