• Zoom : 1.7
  • Height: 51 M

Taken on the 17th May at 14:40

6 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY
Swithland Reservoir, Leicestershire
2023/05/13, 15:30
DJI Mini 2
119m, bouncing off my maximum altitude warning. I could have done with another 20m, as I’d like to have shot straight down.

3 Likes

Great shot Ben, I know this place. Try taking a Wide Angle Panorama shot straight down over the centre. This will get you the image all in one frame without going too high.The drone will take 9 pictures and stich them all together.

This video will explain
(From 03:26)

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll have to have a play with that. I’ve steered clear of stitched panoramas for years now, after running into ugly image glitches with a manually indexed DSLR in the past, due to movement in the scene.
The panorama mode on the drone looks relatively quick from that video though, so for mainly static scenes, it ought to work well.

I have recently been mulling over sticking a wideangle adapter lens onto a UV filter, but a lot of them are magnetic, which concerns me in terms of potential compass disruption, and I’m also a little concerned about putting significant unbalanced load on the gimbal.

I’ve usually managed to get half-decent results when stitching images in Lightroom from the Mini 2. The below is Cromer Pier. I can’t remember how many photos it’s made up of, but the drone would have needed to have been a good distance above 400ft to get the equivalent in a single shot!

EDIT: Sorry, just remembered which thread this is! Clearly NOT AN ENTRY… :man_facepalming: with sincere apologies to the @Challenges_Committee scorebot…

3 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY
Ploughed field Shropshire
Mini3 Pro —> DNG
Taken 17-05-2023 11:52am
Sharpened the raw file, cropped and rotated.

6 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

roof Wrexham Baths
19.05.2023 mini 3 pro
cropped and sharpened

5 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

GREEN FIELDS
Farmers field situated at rear of Cheapside Waltham North East Lincolnside near to garden centre

Taken 0928 9th may 2023. DJI Mini 3 pro

6 Likes

Cayton Bay and paddleboarder, North Yorkshire, 20th May 8am. Taken with my DJI Mini SE on auto setting, fairweather pilot if ever there was one.

2 Likes

Gentle reminder Hamish for next time you post a competition entry :slight_smile:

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

In Capitals as the first line of your post:

THIS IS MY ENTRY

1 Like

THIS IS MY ENTRY

• Leeds Beckett University, CSS Building, Leeds, LS6 3QQ
    What 3 Words - ///couches.flames.intro
  • 19/05/23 11:16
  • DJI Mini 3 Pro - f/1.7 1/2000 6.72mm ISO150
  • Living in West Leeds you can often see the orange section of the building glow on very bright days. The top orange section contains an indoor running track.

I’ve often wondered what this building was until I really got into some Google Maps digging. Whilst the weather didn’t quite play ball for me and make it glow, I still think the majestic orange is something else. As the theme of this competition is “one colour” I’ve contemplated long and hard if I should crop out the rest to keep the orange (I have multiple angles) but I think it may have detracted from the overall composition of the photo, and you also couldn’t have seen the amazing Leeds scenery.

I’m happy for it to not be accepted as a single colour photo, however I am still proud of it and I think the photo speaks for it self.

5 Likes

Nice. Very similar to the apprenticeship building at Warwick uni. (Got a drone pic of it but won’t post it here as took before the competition window)

1 Like

Thanks mate

@Dak great picture, I was going to use this building for the “RED” competition not long ago :+1:t3:

1 Like

@group-challenges

This particular round has produced a diverse selection of images to illustrate the subject with some creative crops that don’t fit the dimensions of a standard poll image too well! And one entry, missing the “THIS IS MY ENTRY” tag has only scraped into the competition due to the leniency of the head of the judging panel and his well-kent predilection for maritime images …

Be warned we are going to be cruel to be kind. From now on adherence to the rules will be mandatory. We are doing this for your own good, at least for those of you who are rash enough to consider entering a Birthday Challenge, should such a draconian contest be announced.

But let’s think of happier things. Here are the images, you may vote for one, all, none or some of them, whether or not you have taken part in the competition. The first, second and third place winners will be announced a few minutes after the close of the poll at 22:00 on Monday, May 22nd, 2023.

E&OE

THIS WOULD’VE BEEN MY ENTRY

AHHHHGH!! I just took this, so annoyed not to get it in time!!!

Drone: mavic mini 1
Time/ Date: Sunday 21 at 6:30 pm

Slightly easier this time, we think. Places of Worship. You have until June 3rd so mark your calendar appropriately! :slight_smile:

@group-challenges

You have had a very hard time trying to pick the winners from such a range of images. Well done to all who provided the pictures and thank you to all who voted. Unfortunately, there can only be three top places - and they are:

In joint second place we have contributions from Nigel - @Stomper - with an overhead of Aldershot Lido awaiting patrons

and another sporting venue, five-a-side pitches in the evening sun at Thornton Clevelys, courtesy of Martin - @MartG1960

And the top picture, this round’s well-deserved winner, even if he did have to go to North America to find it is the intriguing shot of the roof of The BC Place in Vancouver, Canada. Well done to Jason = @Acedrone !

7 Likes