RTF Competition May 7th to 20th - Winners Announced

@group-challenges

Things are changing! There’s a fresh look to much of local government; we are at the beginning of the reign of our now-crowned King and we have a new RTF competition to occupy those times when you are not out taking pictures for the May Calendar Competition

This time the popular vote has selected All One Colour as the subject. Hint: Black and white pictures of an otherwise colourful scene fall outside of the parameters of this subject! Research, plan and go out and capture something beautiful!

Would you like some rules to read?

RTF RULES
Scope

The requirement is to submit a still image created using a drone to illustrate the subject of the competition. The subject for the competition running from 00:01 May 7th to 23:00 May 20th 2023 is All One Colour.

The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open. It is a Reason To Fly competition so please show that the image is created by a flying camera!

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only. There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

Please post only one image, the image you wish to be judged, in this thread.

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

In Capitals as the first line of your post:

THIS IS MY ENTRY

If this is not done at the time of posting the picture will be ignored. Should it be absolutely necessary to change your picture then delete the previous picture and add “This is my entry” - as above - as the first line of your new post. If in any doubt contact the Challenges Committee. (@Challenges_Committee)

Further Information is required

• Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Voting

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for one, all, some or none of the entries.

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three that have been picked at random from the subject list. You may make additions to the list at any time.

The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later. Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 22:00

The winner, second and third-placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed and counted

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners’ wishes and permissions must be respected. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

E&OE
2 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

I dont usually enter these challenges but i was out this morning and captured this.

This was taken just outside Rugely near Blithfield Reservoir. Mind you, given the time of year, this could have been taken anywhere.
Approximately 0800
07/05/2023
Mavic 3, Standard lense not the telephoto.

3 Likes

Thanks for starting us off Jay!

Out of interest (and just to comply with the rules) what were you flying?

Further Information is required
Aircraft/camera used
Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Soooorryyyyy……

Location as previously stated.
Approximately 0800
07/05/2023
Mavic 3 Standard lense not the telephoto.

THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY

Just an enquiry. Is the likes of colour manipulation allowed like in the following image.

Only adjustments made were of saturation really, after exposure. There is an added vignette obviously, but this image is for inquiries only :+1:

:thinking:

If you read the post, it’s of an example of colouration that I used on the image. I stated it wasn’t an entry. Simple as.

The only comment I would like about the image is off the @Challenges_Committee

Thanks.

:thinking:

If you feel that that will garner the most votes of the images that will be submitted for the contest by all means post it.

Your co- competitors will be the judge of its merit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply👍

Was only asking before I took the trouble to do something with an idea and it be bounced out :grin:

Ade, In club photography Monochrome (literally ‘single colour’) is a pic using shades of Grey (one colour…Black is no colour by definition) - you are allowed to tint that grey using a single colour eg Sepia or as in your idea, Blue. Still one colour [Black (= 0 colour) to v.v. Light Blue) So that in my view is quite legit.

1 Like

Thank you John for a decent reply and explanation👍. I’m just rank amateur at this photo lark😂

My idea was basically just that, desaturate then add shades of chosen colour.

The idea was to try something new and give it a go, but never knew if it would be excepted in this comp. :thinking:

Thanks again mate👍

Is this a new ruling from before so you cannot post any other pics up other than an entry ?

Usually there’s some really good non entry pics that get added to these comps and seems a shame not to see those too.

I seem to have been tagged into a rant too when it was a confused observation hence asking.

Hi Jim.

Yes, it’s a relatively new ruling since previous hints have not been acted upon. We try to keep rules to a minimum, this one is both to try and keep the thread to a reasonable length and to make it easier on a Saturday evening, when the rest of you are telling tall tales and swigging ales at the Dog & Drone, for the poor benighted soul who has to collate the entries into a coherent poll.

It is also an attempt to prevent people taking a scattergun approach and flooding the thread with entries and awaiting reactions before marking one with the “This is my entry” tag.

As always, should this move prove either unpopular or unworkable, then adjustments can be made.

just a thought, is it possible to have a sub thread atached to this one? That way people can put as many pictures as they like into that section, and their one and only entry in here. The problem with allowing multiple posts is that some people may make 5, wait until the last remaining hours of the comp to see which of them has more likes, and then mark it as their entry. Not saying this DOES happen, just that it might

Hi Darren,

It’s a possibility and one that has been discussed briefly before. And people may use the sub thread to test the popularity of their images. There are dangers in waiting until the last moment to decide on one’s best image - the change may not be detected in the last few minutes before the poll goes to press - and there is only a five-minute window for changes before the forum software locks the poll.

Secondly, it is risky to judge a picture’s popularity by the likes it gets unless all pictures are uploaded at the same time.,.Otherwise it tends to be the picture that has been on display the longest that gets the most likes. That’s why we use a poll to determine winners and not the number of likes.

Post their entry first, then spam the shit out of the sub forum?

There is already an opportunity to post photos by drones. No need fot a sub thread. Post them there instead and post what you consider the best and most appropriate to match the comp subject… In the comp. For what its worth, I also think photo’s that are entirely graded one colour of a subject that clearly stated with many is not necessarily in the true spirit of the comp. But as the heirachy says the voters will decide I guess. :grin:

1 Like

For what its worth, I also think photo’s that are entirely graded one colour of a subject that clearly stated with many is not necessarily in the true spirit of the comp

Deffo agree with you an that one.

Indeed, amount of effort that’s gone into planning as well as composition is always something I take into consideration when giving an image a vote. Laziness will not get you my vote.

If I have nothing suitable, I just don’t enter.

Seems the masses are voting for tougher subjects lately, so considering it’s what the masses voted for, I would have expected some people to have subjects in mind and we should have plenty of entries. Weather/time permittng

THIS IS MY ENTRY.

Weardley
Leeds
09/05/2023 - 17:05.
DJI Mini 3 Pro.
ISO 100.
Shutter 1/2000s, -0.3ev.

9 Likes