Scottish Road Trip, Elgin to Glenshee

I’m fortunate that my work takes me all over Scotland. While sitting in a hotel room in Elgin I came up with the bright idea of documenting one of the prettiest and most scenic drives I get to go on.
It is jam packed with photo oportunities and places to fly, plenty cafes, hotels, B & Bs and caravan/camping. There are many diversions that can be taken, this is just the way I like to go.

A941 south from Elgin to Craigellachie and the first stop for Craigellachie Bridge.
57°29’26.5"N 3°11’30.4"W
Google Maps
More Info

Continue south to Inveravon Church and Pictish Stones, the A941 morphs into the A95
I didn’t make a drone flight here as it was busy and not very much room. I’ll add some shots from my DSLR once I get them off the card.
57°25’17.3"N 3°21’43.3"W
Google Maps
More Info

South again towards the Old Bridge of Avon, Ballindalloch
57°24’21.5"N 3°21’37.1"W
Google Maps
More Info

Continue on the road where you will come to the roundabout at Speybridge, just South of Grantown-on-Spey
Here you will cross the River Spey and turn left (first exit). After passing signs for Dulnain you will see signs for a left turn into Nethybridge on Station Road
You have now arrived at Broomhill Station
57°16’58.7"N 3°39’58.5"W
Google Maps
More Info
The sation itself isn’t much to look at, but if you’ve done your homework you’ll get to see a real live choo choo train

I found the easiest place to view the train is further along the road at the next destination.
I found this bridge by happy accident while going to look at and fly another subject, more on that one shortly. I had been trying to find a wooden bridge, spanning a river, carrying a
vehicle for The BIRTHDAY CHALLENGE. I was really struggling until I happened accross this. After a little research I found the reason for my struggles. This is supposedly the only
wooden bridge left in Scotland that was purposely designed for carying cars.
Broomhill Bridge
57°16’49.8"N 3°39’53.9"W
Google Maps
More Info

Keep heading in the same direction and you’ll come to Nethybridge. Turn left onto the B970 and follow the road until you see signs for
Castle Roy
57°16’34.7"N 3°38’58.1"W
Google Maps
More Info

Turning back from where you came, a few hundred yards down the road take a left and follow until at the next junction, again turn left and follow the road for some miles.
There are plenty of parking spots on this road if you want to stop to admire the scenery and get the drone back out. Keep travelling until you start climbing a hill.
At the top you have a sharp right hand back onto the Old Military Road

You will drive through some more nice scenery and continue the journey to
The Lecht Mine and Well of Lecht
57°13’19.3"N 3°16’07.8"W
Google Maps
More Info

Continue up the hill on the climb to The Lecht Ski Centre
57°12’00.5"N 3°14’49.9"W
Google Maps
More Info

Down the hill on the other side there are again plenty of photo opportunities before arriving at The Watchers
57°10’22.0"N 3°14’05.8"W
Google Maps
More Info

And then Corgarff Castle
57°09’54.7"N 3°14’08.4"W
Google Maps
More Info

You may or may not be asked to stop flying your drone here as it’s a Historic Environment Scotland site. I didn’t take a video today, only picures, so here’s one from a while back

Further down the road you will come to the pretty little Gairnshiel Bridge.
57°05’37.1"N 3°09’54.0"W
Google Maps
More Info

Turning right just 150 yards after the bridge you’ll now be on the A93 which will take you to Braemar Castle, it’s not very pretty at the moment due to renovation.
57°00’48.9"N 3°23’38.6"W
Google Maps
More Info

Not long to go now, fortunately, I hear you scream
Keep following the road onto Glenshee, again there are multiple opportunities for photography and drone flight all along this road

Until we arrive at Glenshee Ski Centre
56°53’09.6"N 3°24’49.0"W
Google Maps
More Info

Further along the road the scenery opens up again

That was me done for the day, it’s the first time I have actually wanted to put the drone away since I bought it almost a year ago. I think I got through 9 batteries on the mini 2 and around 10Gb of video/stills, not including what I took on the DSLR. The trip took 9 hours in total but that included having to stop off a few times for work commitments and watering the roadside weeds. There is far more to discover on this route, in fact you could probably spend at least a week travelling it and find something new every day.
If you fancied it, you can continue the trip to Blairgowrie. From here you have many, many options. Perth, Dunkeld, Stirling, Scotland is your oyster

6 Likes

Great write up Darren :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks, glad you like it. Will hopefuly provide some ideas and inspiration for next years travels.

2 Likes

Great feature @mynameisjoe just a sidenote, if you sign up to Panoee you get ‘tours’ for feee so can have all your panos in one place

I’ve already signed up :wink:
When I get more time I’ll be moving all my panos over.

1 Like

So - where are you taking us on next week’s road-trip? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Wont know where I am until thursday/friday. On holiday this week but no time for drones, the garden is priority this week :sob:
Don’t know if I could handle the stress of making another post like that again either!!! But then again, now I know what I’m doing it will be a bit easier. Just need to try and get better than my current 2.7 meg broadband, upload is 0.25 so this took quite some time to put together.

1 Like

Putting all that together wouldn’t be a 5 minute job whatever upload speed - and I saw your post re the issues you did have.
Genuinely, well done! :clap:

1 Like

You must be a very patient person , excellently put together :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

I am loving the camera where I can drag it. What camera is this. Really nice to be able to look around.

Its a 360 degree panorama. There is an automatic setting for this on the DJI mini 2 that I used. It takes around 26 photos which are stored in a separate folder on the sd card. These are then fed into software like microsoft ice or APG which stitches them together for you. Then upload onto kula to host it. LINK for a very good step by step written by one of our members @clinkadink

1 Like