Should I buy a DJI Mini 2?

I am doing my A2 CofC with UAVHUB at the moment and have done the mock exam loads of times and now getting 100% each time. I feel I should do a bit of practice before I do the self certification for the practical side, but as the weather is not so good I was thinking to do the exam anyway and practice later, any thoughts anyone?

With regards to the Mini 2, it gets round all the new rules as long as you don’t add to the weight, apart from a couple of cree strobes. Even Matt Williams thought it a really good option for doing close up work as you are allowed to fly over uninvolved people and get as close to them as you like, not crowds though.

My point is should I get one, I already have an M2P with which I use a 7.85" CrystalSky, so can I use the same mount on the MM2 controller for the CrystalSky as the M2P controller? My other concern is wind, have they overcome the issue with flyaways. If you look at the DJI specs for the MM2 and M2P the max wind resistance speed is the same at 23.5mph, have they really improved the Mini that much? These are the only two things stopping me getting one.

The Mini 2 would be really good for foreign travel when we are allowed to do it again, and a lot more inconspicuous. So I am seriously considering getting one later this year, especially as it won’t be affected when the new regs come into effect at the beginning of 2023.

2 Likes

I have the MP2 and mini. I cannot find any discernible difference in flying and wind resistance between them. They both fly the same, film the same and take stunning photos. Although the mini is at 2.4K, it’s hard to see any difference at normal resolution. The mini 2 shoots at 4K. I now have the mini as my preferred drone and it goes everywhere because it’s small,(obviously) unobtrusive and makes hardly any noise compared with the MP2, the noise it does make close up seems to be at a more pleasant ‘tone’ than the angry buzzing that the MP2 makes. The big bonus of course is that I can fly almost anywhere without worrying whether I’m flying over someone or something that someone in officialdom deems it too close. I don’t feel I have to scout out sites beforehand except for the normal flying hazards, and don’t feel that I have to wear hi-viz or have any other paraphernalia other than the mini, controller and phone.

2 Likes

I answered this question for you in your other post already:

1 Like

I take DJI’s claim of wind resistance of the Mini2 with a pinch of salt.

Ash, of DroningOn, did a wind test with the Mini2, and while it performed better than the original Mini it wasn’t without some issues.

Even I’ve succumbed to some of the charms of the Mini2 but only for the Ocusync which my Spark lacks, which it may replace once my house arrest is over with and I can put it through its paces.

2 Likes

I also have a Mavic 2 Pro and a Mini 2, but I’d only agree with one of your points, ‘they both film the same’ Yes the Mini 2 comes very close to the M2P in film quality, but it’s nowhere near the same quality for photography. In my opinion, the M2P is far more stable to fly than the Mini2. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Mini 2, I bought it to shoot in locations I couldn’t with my M2P (even with a A2 C of C). What would make it even better for me would be Smart Controller compatibility.

2 Likes

I agree that the MP2 seems more stable but its a much larger beastie and just as a, smaller car can seem more twitchy in wind than a heavier car, the mini looks twitchy, but actually handles the same wind expertly, even if it foes have to work a bit harder.
There will always be differences of opinion with any subject, but the photos I’ve seen so far on this site with the mini 2 match those of the MP2 for quality.
There are other points to consider, the size means the mini can be flown almost anywhere, and if you can fly near something you can photograph it. You can have the best camera in the world on the MP2, but if you can’t legally fly or even take off, then it becomes an expensive ornament.
The noise it makes isn’t as obtrusive as the annoying buzz saw noise the MP2 makes, and can hardly be heard at 100 or more feet.

1 Like

@PingSpike Sorry I missed that comment about the CS and the DJI Fly app, seems a bit dumb that you can’t use their own monitors with their own drones…

@Brian Thanks for the feedback you have given, very useful info, the main thing I got from your comments is the ability to fly the Mini 2 just about anywhere, this and the fact it won’t be affected when the new regs come in are the attraction as it comes under the A1 subcategory of the Open Category.

Having said that you will always get a better image from the M2P 1" sensor than with the MM2, but if all you are doing is putting the images online then it won’t make a lot of difference, you would notice the difference when you want to print the images at a reasonable size.

@Nidge Thanks for that link, a very interesting video, it shows the limitations of the MM2, especially compared with an M2P, which he didn’t show but would be even more stable than the MA2. It was interesting to see that when he dropped the height it came back quite easily, we all know the wind speed is slower the lower you are, he probably would have got it back over the sea if he kept the height down.

So will I buy an MM2? Yes I think so, mainly because you can fly it just about anywhere. I have to agree with @Drumsagard about the still image quality, the sensor size is not that far off my Canon M6. But video at 4k can’t be bad, even though I usually only record at 1080.

I’ll let you all know when I get it.

3 Likes

Try telling that to anyone with a 5K Retina Mac :wink:

It’s rapidly becoming the most popular drone with GADC members. You’ll not regret your purchase :+1:t2:

1 Like

Totally agree on this, again this is why I love my Mini 2. On photo quality, you can’t really compare images viewed on a website. Images from the M2P are of a much higher resolution and create large prints. I can’t get the same print quality from my Mini 2.

1 Like

This is the key point and why so many Mini 2’s have been sold. Go for it and enjoy! :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely definitely.
I have had mine for a week now ,and it’s so impressive.
I too have the MP2 ,but the new rules have grounded it for me.
I can pretty much fly the mini 2 anywhere without the stress of it all,and get down to what the hobby is all about ,flying.
Yes it doesn’t have the same photo or video quality as the MP2 but it ain’t that far behind in my initial findings.
It really does handle the wind and gusts unbelievabley well for such a small drone. .
I say go for it ,you won’t regret it .

2 Likes

OK guys I’m convinced, so do we have anyone giving us a discount, I haven’t relly seen a better price than DJI themselves. I looked on Wish and they didn’t have any.

So where to buy?

https://www.very.co.uk/first-order-discount.page

2 Likes

A whole thread dedicated to Mini 2 offers: DJI Mini 1, 2, 3 & 4 - offers and deals

Because DJI are price rigging :pensive:

Most people just buy from Argos. Same day delivery for four quid.

1 Like

Agreed, I got mine from Argos as could do same day collect, too impatient to wait for DJI long delivery times :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Even I have one, the person voted most likely not to have one.

The boxes it ticks:

Good flight times.
Good signal quality with low(ish) latency.
Good camera quality, with RAW options.
Compact and bijou, Mostin.
Stiffer construction than the Mini 1.

The one big box it doesn’t tick is the ability to change the rates and exponential values of the stick response. You have three different modes Normalish, Normal, and Sport, the only option you can change from that APP is the Yaw rate. Fine if you just want to do stationary turns but a pain in the rear end if you are trying to do flowing coordinated turns using Yaw and Roll together.

I have a feeling that DJI recognised that most users don’t do these type of turns as evidenced by the videos from those flying the FPV drone. DJI have mixed Yaw and Roll to one stick, Naughty DJI. So when the same users go into manual mode they become alarmed when they try to turn using just the left stick and suddenly all they can see is the sky.

Caveat: This is just my personal opinion as I primarily fly with a programmable controller, while at the same time having access to all aspects of the onboard flight controller. But overall I think the Mini2 is a great little drone, especially for those covert gueriller type shots.

2 Likes

I have both the Min2 and M2P and would say the difference in photo quality is like the difference between a bridge camera and a full frame DLSR. The M2P images have much more detail and do not appear slightly ‘bitty’ (for want of a better word, I’m tired), as the Mini2 images do.

Having said that, the Mini2 image is certainly suitable for most uses.

3 Likes

I do agree what you are saying, it’s the difference between medium format and 35mm, you can get more detail and better enlargements, but 35mm or it’s digital equivalent was and still is more than suitable for the majority.

1 Like

I have invested in the Mavic 2 Pro (to replace my Mavic Pro), but with the change of rules this year, have also invested in the Mini 2. this means you can fly in many more places and over people, unlike the larger drone.

Even with the A2CofC, you will still be restricted to no less than 50m horizontally from uninvolved people, until the new classifications of drone ara available, then this reduces to 30m.

I think the flexibility the Mini gives you is a definite advantage

1 Like

So I splashed out and got the Mini2, ordered from Argos and picked it up half an hour at my local Sainsbury’s, haven’t unpacked it yet as I was unpacking my new electric bike after the previous one got stolen. So should have a good play withit tomorrow.

@Brian On digital cameras the 35mm equvalent is called a “Full Frame” camera, most of the other DSLRs use the APS-C (22.3 x 14.9 mm) sensor. To get a full frame camera you have to pay well over £1000 going up to £3000 or more for things like the Canon 5D mkIV.

3 Likes