Skydio - New Mavic competitor?

And those of us with 550s thought the idea of a ready-made toy like the Phantom would never catch on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I thought my 450 Flamewheel was the bees knees, despite the fact it was impossible to fly and I never knew what the camera captured until I got home!

2 Likes

Aye, them wer’ t’days. Mek us own drones outta banboo poles and old vacuum cleaner motors. Never knew what we’d snapped till photos cum bak from Boots three weels after … :smiley:

3 Likes

its certainly getting the attention on YT.

The usual YT’bers are absolutely drooling over this baby. I rather suspect its to do with giving them some fresh drone content to post as much as the rather brilliant Ai thats in the Skydio 2.

3 Likes

And, them hoping to be sent a free sample to test !. LOL

1 Like

Oh yes that too!!

I was watching a vid where the guy was saying that he couldnt understand why Skydio had sent the drone to non-drone users to test. Apparently the new Skydio 2 was sent out to action sports enthusiasts instead of the usual YT drone reviewers.He seemed a little put out by this.

I couldnt help but smile. Dont ask me why!! perhaps im just a git. hahahaha

3 Likes

I suspect that half of them just want one to add to their ever growing collection !.

Yes it does look pretty sweet when tracking :thinking:

1 Like

My gob was smacked several times during that.
@ 8:30 … :open_mouth:

1 Like

I’m always very sceptical when a YT’ber, especially those that try to hawk Banggood and Gearbest products, use the click bait tittle of “A Mavic Killer “

I own two such drones that were touted as such, namely the SimToo Dragonfly Pro and the Ceewa S1 (also sold as the Halo Drone). The only similarity these shared with the Mavic was the folding Arms. The SimToo Dragonfly was a disaster out of the gate, I think that’s why I got my two examples so cheap. The problem wasn’t the hardware but the dreadfully poor parameter file. I was able to edit in Ardupilot Mission Planner and get them both up and running. The Ceewa S1 is actually quite competent but is quite large and surprisingly heavy.

I feel the primary reasons the Skydio2 will not be a Mavic killer are:

1. As with the original Skydio it’s not available to purchase outside the CONUS and Canada.

2. The manufacturing process. Skydio’s manufacturing plant, while being very technically equipped, is small and as such the number of units produced in a given time is quite small. I think they’re now looking at recent deposits made not shipping until the first or second quarter of 2020.

All of the above being said if I were in a position to order this new Skydio I probably would as it takes the G33K component to a new level.

As for the comments re the DJI F550 Flamewheel… I still love mine. It’s a bit like a yacht with a concrete hull, normal logic would dictate it would sink. My F550 at first glance looks like an early 80’s SciFi prop but flys quite well. It’s just a pain in the rear-end having to edit the Windows registry and turn off driver validation every time Windows updates and I want to access the Naza FC.

Regards

Nidge.

1 Like

My thoughts on why this is a different beast is purely down to what we’re seeing. its a fabulous ‘follow me’ drone and works exceptionally for action sports or active track scenarios. The way its avoiding stuff is properly cool.

However I dont intend of being followed or chased at all by a drone as its mostly photography for me so on that front the Mavic hasnt been killed off by the SkyDio 2. There are other areas where I think the Mavic 2Pro still holds its own here but the Skydio 2 with its robust flying capabilities will eat a load out of DJi’s market in the US for sure.

I can also see the SkyDio2 eating a sizeable chunk out of the GoPro market as well. Those surfing shots are gonna look awesome.

Whether its the Mavic 3 or Mavic 4, they’ll all have this type of ability im sure. Its just that the SkyDio 2 is first to the market with it. DJI will want to catchup.

Good to see theres some decent competition.

Yes - there area waves - but basically surfing is relatively level.

So many sports are plagued with terrain and other obstacles Skiing, Mountain Biking, etc.

And … for me …. I’m thinking paragliding! :open_mouth:
Imagine having that sat about 30ft in front of one whilst paragliding. That’s a shot that’s never previously existed without involving another paraglider … and then rarely.

Other sports may be available. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Aaah yes Paragliding will look amazing too. Some of the shots taken by the Skydio do present the opportunity for new types of shots.Ought to be cool!

1 Like

Does that mean if the Skydio head overseas that you’re likely to park one in the drone garage ? :blush:

1 Like

I’m loving the idea of this docking station too :+1:t2:

3 Likes

“No! Don’t look at the light!”

“I can’t help it …. it’s so beautiful!”

2 Likes

The autonomous flight on that is amazing. Can’t use the modes on the Mavic Air, they’re just not that reliable and sometimes pretty stressful.

I’m still focused on this light: DJI Mavic Mini (Fly As You Are)

:blush:

1 Like

There is a sea of lights! :wink:

2 Likes

I suggest to always use them in places your know and areas that are open