Snap Song non-competition

Fairly late into the Chall Com senior staff members meeting, after the port had been passed and the cigars lit, the discussion turned to challenges. One topic of note was the seeming reluctance for pilots to take their aircraft (mainly Minis of varying types) higher than eye level. Many of the pictures we have seen could be taken by mobile phone or even a dedicated, hand-held camera.

And, later still, once tempers had cooled, the police had been dismissed and the karaoke begun, one bright spark mumbled “shongtitelsh” and fell into a deep slumber.

And now these same senior staff have passed the command down to us in the Development Labs to try and make a worthwhile contest out of the drunken murmurings inspired ides. So here we go!

Snap Song

The idea is to illustrate a song title with a still picture taken with a drone, mobile or normal camera. The song must have been released in the year chosen by our Randomizer.

So if the year is 1968 an entry may look like this:

All Along The Watchtower, Jimi Hendrix, UK single released on October 18, 1968 (from the 1968 Electric Ladyland double album)

Hadrian’s Wall, near Once Brewed, June 31st, 2022, Kodak Brownie 44A

And 1986:

SUBURBIA

This was released as a single on 22 September 1986 from the album Please (released 24 March 1986) by the Pet Shop Boys.

According to the duo, the album’s title was chosen so that people had to go into a record shop and say “Can I have the Pet Shop Boys album, ‘Please’?”

Galaxy Note 8, 6 January 2021 Southwood Road, Hayling Island

Rules

A year will be chosen at random, your task is to illustrate a song title of your choice with a still photograph taken during the time the competition is open. You may use any device that will produce a suitable image.

The song must be either a single, a single taken from an album or a track on an album. It must have been released in one of those forms in the year chosen.

The song need not be by the original artist, cover versions released in the chosen year are perfectly acceptable

Each entry must show:

• Song title

• Release date

• Device used for image

• Location and date of image

• Any information that may be of interest

• A video or an MP3 of the song is highly desirable

This is an experiment. Your suggestions and comments are most welcome - so are entries! The idea is to give you a chance to show you creativity without necessarily going to the trouble of selecting a flying site, checking the regulations and NOTAMs and putting a drone up. A quick snap in passing or in a quick break in a busy day is totally acceptable

This one will run until Monday 13 at 22:30 when a new year will be randomly chosen We are not sure how to score this - or even whether we need to. It’s designed as a way of putting music in front of people - music that they may be unfamiliar with. If we judge by likes it may well be the song and not the image that’s getting the attention. Also the early entries have more time to gather likes than those that are posted in the last hour.

So this first run is a non- competition. You are in it both for fun and to see whether it’s a viable idea. As we said before, comments and suggestions are welcomed!

And so to the competition:

2 Likes

The year for your song title is:

Rules

A year will be chosen at random, your task is to illustrate a song title of your choice with a still photograph taken during the time the competition is open. You may use any device that will produce a suitable image.

The song must be either a single, a single taken from an album or a track on an album. It must have been released in one of those forms in the year chosen.

The song need not be by the original artist, cover versions released in the chosen year are perfectly acceptable

Each entry must show:

• Song title

• Release date

• Device used for image

• Location and date of image

• Any information that may be of interest

• A video or an MP3 of the song is highly desirable

2 Likes

Mmhhh, this looks interesting :+1:

1 Like

So the image doesn’t have to be taken within the comp window? It can be from the past?

Scrap that. Reread the rules :man_facepalming:

Spoilsport!

We were just composing an hilariously sarcastic reply … :slight_smile:

I was typing my edit at max speed … because I knew you’d grill me for it :rofl:

Does the track have to have been released in the UK or doesn’t that matter?

We wondered about that. Given that the internet holds vast stores of information but with a mainly American flavour we allow releases from both the UK and the USA.

Otherwise, when 1969 is picked as the year we would not be treated to this exquisite melody from the Shaggs’ first album, Philosophy of the World:

1 Like

OMG… that is genius… I know what the sound track is going to have to be for my next FPV video…

(not that…)

Put this in your head ;o)

OMFG, I did NOT need that!!! Although I have to admit she’d get pumped! Am I aloud to say things like that in here :thinking: :rofl:

1 Like

Have you no pity :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

My Glasgee BFF uses the same phrase 100 times a day

1 Like

You might be allowed, just don’t say it aloud

1 Like

I’d like to blame autocorrect…but can’t

Girls Aloud, bit later but hubba hubba ;o)

My other half is from Govan, took me a while to learn the lingo what with being a wee snobby boy fae Perth. Stanks, ginger, buckfast, fuckup, pumpin’ an’ boabies :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hahahaha

Group of Scottish ‘Ladies’ out in Tenerife last November, talking about Boabies in the bar, all giggly and shit while I was stood getting a pint, as I walked away I said to them, aye, bet you’ve had your fair share ;o) Priceless

“Perfect Day”

• Song title: Perfect Day
  • Release date: 17 November 1997
  • Device used for image: Mavic 2 Pro
  • Date of image: 08/06/22 @ 18:33

The song “Perfect Day” was originally written and recorded by Lou Reed in the early 1970s. In 1997 the song was re-recorded with a variety of artists including Reed himself. Each artist sang a line on this new version of the song. A video was shot as a tribute and to promote the BBC’s support of live music. It featured the stars singing one line each, with Reed singing the first and last line.

The various artists included Lou Reed, Bono, Morcheeba, David Bowie, Suzanne Vega, Elton John, Boyzone, Lesley Garrett, Burning Spear, Thomas Allen, Heather Small, Emmylou Harris, Tammy Wynette, Shane McGowan, Dr. John, Robert Cray, Huey (Fun Lovin’ Criminals), Ian Broadie, Garbrielle, Evan Dando, Brett Anderson, Visual Ministry Choir, Joan Armastrading, Laurie Anderson, Heather Small and the legend … Tom Jones :wink:

“Perfect Day” reached #4 slot in the Official Top 40 best-selling singles of 1997.

2 Likes

Thanks Chris! That’s the kind of entry we are looking for. You have also made one of the Chall Com team happy as he is a big Lou Reed . Velvet Underground fan *and remembers the original recording. The only problem is that he is now humming it to himself, loudly and infecting us all with earworm :frowning:

1 Like